Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

fondant

no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

fondant

by NicoleP » Wed May 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Does anyone know where I can get organic fondant with no coloring or artificial ingredients?

I am a beekeeper and am attempting to substitute fondant for sugar syrup in supplementing the bees diet ( a must in spring before a heavy nectar flow). I have heard fondant is the way to go since it is soft,pliable and solid (reducing drowning in sugar syrup).

I just wondered if there were some brands of fondant that are natural and preservative free before I attempt to do the homemade thing

Thanks in advance!! from me and the bees!

:)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: fondant

by Deb Hall » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Nicole,

Don't know any sources for organic, but I have a great recipe for making your own some where. Let me know if you want me to dig it up.

PS. Where do you sell your honey?
Deb
no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks Deb!

Actually, after checking the hives today, the massive nectar flow of the honeysuckle in our yard has thankfully allowed me to stop supplementing their diet with sugar syrup or fondant.

I actually just hived these bees last month so I won't have any honey until next year. My former hives sadly fell victim to Colony Collapse Disorder. BUT, come next fall, if you are interested I will have tons 'o honey to sell at deals to forumites! I am using an organic method of mite control so all honey will be organic goodness straight from the 'ville. (mostly honeysuckle, lavender and clover honey)

Also, even though it is just a corporate scheme to sell products :)...Haagen Dazs is giving a portion of their profits from ice cream sales to research trying to find out exactly what causes Colony Collapse Disorder. I think they have something on their site about it.
no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

by Alan Schaefer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 pm

I have worked with Agave Nectar in several recipes. It is an invert sugar that can be purchased at Whole Foods. You may still have a problem with the Bees drowning in the nectar, but I believe it is organic. You mentioned that the bees were getting their nectar from the honeysuckle, agave is much thicker and they may need less to work with. Just thought you might like to have a variety of alternatives at your disposal.
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier