Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm going to take a stab at growing habaneros this year. I'd prefer to start with already established plants rather than seeds; does anyone know where I can buy them in Louisville? Bonus if you know where I can find ghost pepper plants, although it may be too cool(!) here for them and so I may just stick with buying the sauces for now.

This would be in a container and so I'd only need one or two, not a whole flat.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

19842

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:14 pm

This looks like a possibility, Eve! No personal experience, but Da Google told me so:

https://www.facebook.com/NewEarthOrgani ... droponics/

Wait, you're on a Facebook fast ... :mrgreen: Here's their website:

http://newearthgardencenter.com/

The website doesn't mention it, but the Facebook page indicates that they have "super hot" pepper plants.
User avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1885

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Location

Shelby County

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 am

Eve Lee wrote:I'm going to take a stab at growing habaneros this year. I'd prefer to start with already established plants rather than seeds; does anyone know where I can buy them in Louisville? Bonus if you know where I can find ghost pepper plants, although it may be too cool(!) here for them and so I may just stick with buying the sauces for now.

This would be in a container and so I'd only need one or two, not a whole flat.


I tried ghost peppers last year - and it is too cool. I have read you need as much as 60-90 days of near-90 degree temps to make them work. I never even got a bud last year.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

19842

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 am

On the other hand, I got habaneros from a friend in Indy several years ago, and I can assure you that they were fully ripened. :shock:
User avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1885

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Location

Shelby County

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:56 am

Robin Garr wrote:On the other hand, I got habaneros from a friend in Indy several years ago, and I can assure you that they were fully ripened. :shock:


I was specifically referring to ghost peppers. I've grown habaneros and all manner of other hot peppers successfully, just not ghost peppers.
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 am

TP! I remember you. Are ghost peppers difficult? Did you grow them from seed? I managed to kill basil one year (planted while the neighbor's tree was bare, so it wound up in the shade), so I'm not the most expert of gardeners.
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 am

Sorry—habaneros, not ghosts.
User avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1885

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Location

Shelby County

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 am

Eve,

I admit to just buying the habanero plants. I usually wait until mid-May to put them in, but I have had overflowing plants in recent years. I think the ghosts are the only peppers I've tried that wouldn't do well. We do have an interesting microclimate next to our garage that gets all-day sun, so tomatoes and peppers really flourish there.
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 am

Good to know, TP, and smart to let someone else start the plants. :) Where do you buy the habanero plants?
User avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1885

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Location

Shelby County

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:55 am

Last year I bought them at Hilltop Produce in Shelbyville. I have also bought many varieties at the place that is back in the neighborhood just off I64 at Hurstbourne (sorry I can't recall the name right now), but I think it may be gone now. Thinking someone was putting apartments back on that family farm.
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks so much!! And yes, I know that place you're talking about by 64; I don't get by there much and so I don't know the status, but a friend recently moved to Shelbyville and so she and I can go to Hilltop soon and make an afternoon of it. :-)
User avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1278

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:20 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Last year I bought them at Hilltop Produce in Shelbyville. I have also bought many varieties at the place that is back in the neighborhood just off I64 at Hurstbourne (sorry I can't recall the name right now), but I think it may be gone now. Thinking someone was putting apartments back on that family farm.


I believe you are talking about Thienemans Nursery. Property has been sold. Thienemans has moved to Coxs Creek Ky. This is on 31e (Bardstown Rd) about halfway to Bardstown from the Snyder. http://www.thienemans.com/CCorner/
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

148

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Eve Lee » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:00 am

Good to know, Steve. A bit of a hike, but it looks good. I also like getting my stuff (plants, etc.) from people who know what they're doing and can give advice. We'll turn this black thumb green eventually!
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Posts

9

Joined

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by paula.evans » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:15 pm

I know that Wallitsch's on Hikes Lane had some on Saturday when I was there. Also Thieneman's Nursery which has moved to Louisville Road out in Cox's Creek may have some as well.
User avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

786

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Location

Peoples Republic of Beechmont

Re: Where to find habanero plants?

by Gary Guss » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

TP Lowe wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:On the other hand, I got habaneros from a friend in Indy several years ago, and I can assure you that they were fully ripened. :shock:


I was specifically referring to ghost peppers. I've grown habaneros and all manner of other hot peppers successfully, just not ghost peppers.

Ghost peppers probably need like a small greenhouse in this climate, sounds like they need months of 90 heat and lots of humidity.. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ ... eppers.htm
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign