Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

recipe websites - yummly?

User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

recipe websites - yummly?

by Joel F » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Epicurious and foodnetwork are generally my go-to sites for online recipes. I'll then google if I'm not seeing what I need.

today I came across this: http://www.yummly.com/

anyone use it? comments?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: recipe websites - yummly?

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 am

Joel F wrote:Epicurious and foodnetwork are generally my go-to sites for online recipes. I'll then google if I'm not seeing what I need.

anyone use it? comments?

It comes up a lot in Google searches, and seems to deliver largely quick-and-easy recipes. Since I usually troll for general ideas more than specific recipes, it's a reasonable source for me. But I think - without really going back to look - that it might feature slightly less "gourmet" recipes. Southern Living as compared with Saveur, or something like that.

It does seem to have a ton of recipes, which is good. Oh, and also, if I'm remembering the right site, it has the slightly irritating feature of showing you a dish photo and ingredients list, then shuttling you off to a different site for the instructions.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 am

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:05 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Joel F wrote:Epicurious and foodnetwork are generally my go-to sites for online recipes. I'll then google if I'm not seeing what I need.

anyone use it? comments?

It comes up a lot in Google searches, and seems to deliver largely quick-and-easy recipes. Since I usually troll for general ideas more than specific recipes, it's a reasonable source for me. But I think - without really going back to look - that it might feature slightly less "gourmet" recipes. Southern Living as compared with Saveur, or something like that.

It does seem to have a ton of recipes, which is good. Oh, and also, if I'm remembering the right site, it has the slightly irritating feature of showing you a dish photo and ingredients list, then shuttling you off to a different site for the instructions.

I actually like the last feature, Robin. It 's great for when I have certain ingredients I'm thinking of using but don't have a dish in mind. I've used it recently for cocktails using St.Germaine, and dishes with udon noodles & pork. Since it also shows the site it's sending me to ( like epicurious or smitten), along with their rating I can judge if it's "my kind of recipe" - not using packaged ingredients or little spices - before I click thru.
Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

Happyherbivore.com
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:55 am

Getting back to basics, I generally don't bookmark any specific recipe site, but when I'm in search of culinary inspiration, I'll just go to the Google home page and search the key ingredients I want to mess with. Something like:

Pasta recipewith rutabagas, chocolate and truffles

Thai recipe with shrimp and broccoli

Easy recipe for mille feuille

Then a quick search on the results looking for interesting summaries that catch my eye. Look at a few, and before long something has usually given me an idea about what I might want to try for dinner.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Oddly, I couldn't find any recipes containing all of these ingredients. . . :shock:
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Oddly, I couldn't find any recipes containing all of these ingredients. . . :shock:

Dang! My dinner plans thwarted! :oops: