Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Thai-style bok choy stir-fry with onions, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. 

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm

I've given up trying to remember to take pictures of food before we eat it....failed again Friday when we had two different homemade pizzas and I remembered about the pics half-way thru my second slice. :oops: :lol:

Tonight: Spice- rubbed Pork Loin, Yukon gold mashed potatoes, green bean salad with hazelnuts, and house rosemary foccacia. The pork leftovers make great! Sandwiches and leftovers. :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I was able to attend a Hindu event last night welcoming a swami into town. I was invited to sample some of the food being offered. Pretty terrific stuff and all meatless. So I have been inspired for my own meal this evening. Basmatic rice cooked with cumin and allspice and raisins. Over the top, sautéed onions, red peppers and aspairagus. (just cause I had it in the fridge.) keeping my fingers crossed that nobody dies.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

You go girl! I know cooking's not usually your passion , so I'm impressed by your willingness to try. :D let us know how it comes out.
Deb
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 am

It was great and no one died! Seriously, without the resources of knowledge on this site I doubt I would have tried to do half of what I've been able to accomplish in the kitchen. All you chefs make it look so, well, doable.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Okra's in! The garden is producing an ample supply now. Tonight, Dahi Bhindi, Indian-style okra in tomato-yogurt sauce. 

no avatar
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:11 am

sq_bl.jpg

fried stuffed squash blossoms

pkl.jpg

pickled purple cauliflower

burger.jpg

burgers topped with short ribs, caramelized onions and orange tomato
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 am

Ken,
Please let me come to your house to eat. (YUM!)

What do you use the purple pickled cauliflower for? That's a great idea for preserving the color ( I only use it raw).

Deb
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 am

^ What Deb said!
no avatar
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 am

Deb Hall wrote:Ken,

What do you use the purple pickled cauliflower for? That's a great idea for preserving the color ( I only use it raw).

Deb

You don't want to come to my house, it's a mess.

That's the second of three batches of cauliflower. I saw a gang of it at the farmer's market, took note and said "I'll hit that stand on the way out". . .came back 10 minutes later and Bruce from Mayan Cafe had poached it all! So since then I've grabbed it every week when I see it. I eat it just as pickles, threw it on salad and sandwiches, whatever. Also been making pickled apples with a touch of Chinese five spice with the June apples that have been showing up at the markets. There has been such a bounty at the markets I buy too much (still working nights, so not cooking as much) and have to pickle it instead of composting it. . .
The Wine Market
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am

Ken B wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Ken,

Deb

You don't want to come to my house, it's a mess.

That's the second of three batches of cauliflower. I saw a gang of it at the farmer's market, took note and said "I'll hit that stand on the way out". . .came back 10 minutes later and Bruce from Mayan Cafe had poached it all! So since then I've grabbed it every week when I see it. I eat it just as pickles, threw it on salad and sandwiches, whatever. Also been making pickled apples with a touch of Chinese five spice with the June apples that have been showing up at the markets. There has been such a bounty at the markets I buy too much (still working nights, so not cooking as much) and have to pickle it instead of composting it. . .

Ken,
Thanks, great ideas!
FYI- I know you go to the Bardstown Market, but Garey Farms at the Beargrass Market in St. Matthews typically has it in season.
Do you have a quick pickling recipe to share? I have the same issue with over buying most weeks. :wink:
Deb
no avatar
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Deb Hall wrote:That's a great idea for preserving the color ( I only use it raw).

FYI- I know you go to the Bardstown Market, but Garey Farms at the Beargrass Market in St. Matthews typically has it in season.
Do you have a quick pickling recipe to share? I have the same issue with over buying most weeks. :wink:
Deb

I think there is some kind of molecular stuff you can use to fix the color for cooking, but not sure what. Maybe calcium lactate? Ask Ryan. Anyway, I was super disappointed years ago when I bought a bunch of purple beans, which promptly turned a dull, dark green when cooked for less than 3 minutes! So yeah, I try and find ways to preserve the good color. The red carrots that are out there now can make some beautiful pickles, especially if you trim them carefully and creatively.

I actually go to the Douglass Loop more often than the Deer Park farmer's market. There's a few vendors I really miss, but the former is more walkable and family friendly, plus Adam Barr is there, and Garey Farms, too!

I use the Momofuku vinegar pickle recipe as a jumping off point:

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-foo ... ecipe-1009

I also save all the pickle juice from the various jars of pickles I buy and if I don't use it to brine poultry, will re-use it for some veggies like onions or green beans. But you can't re-use it too many times, though I welcome the kinda funky, close to fermented stage it reaches after one or two recyclings.
The Wine Market
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Damn! I literally just threw away a almost empty jar of pickles that had been lurking at the back of my refrig- I had no idea I could recycle it.... :oops:
Thanks, Ken- I always learn something from your posts. And I'll be trying that quick pickle thing as soon as my broken toe allows me back to the market ( I'm in serious withdrawal :lol: ).
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Sausage, peppers and onions over polenta, using LightLife Italian-style Smart Sausages. Great with a ridiculously cheap Barbaresco from Trader Joe's. 

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Spaghetti alla salsa cruda with fresh Italian oxheart heirloom tomatoes, green onions, loads of garlic and ample Barracha olive oil. (And, of course, plenty of fresh basil!)

PreviousNext