Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Rice

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Rice

by Beth K. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm trying to organize my pantry and these are the rices I have:

a dark long grain/wild rice blend
a light long grain
regular white short grain
jasmati

My question is: can I mix these all together into one container and if so, how should I adjust cooking times? Would this just be a disaster with some overcooked rice, some perfect, and some crunchy?
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Rice

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I would not mix, just to maintain the distinctiveness of the various kinds of rice. They all have particular uses and the cook times may cause some complications. You can probably mix the long grain white and the wild, but I would leave the remainder separate.

Are you looking to blend purely for storage purposes or variety?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 pm

i definitely would not blend. They cook differently and you would probably end up with odd rice. I am soooo into organizing my pantry (you would think it would look better :oops: :wink: :? ) , so i use different containers for different things. I have a plastic container with all of my rice in it. I just tightly wrap the bags and have them all in there. It is much easier when just looking for rice period.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 am

Becky, that is a fantastic idea!

Ronnie, I'm just trying to clean it up a bit. I buy bulk and my pantry is open, so I have a gazillion bags of dry goods all over the place. I'm putting them all into jars and was just wanting to consolidate.

On another note . . . can vinegar ever go bad?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Vinegar

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 am

Beth K. wrote:On another note . . . can vinegar ever go bad?

Not likely! SInce vinegar is basically wine that's gone bad, what's it going to do? :lol:

No, seriously, Beth, don't worry about old vinegar. It should be fine.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Hmmmmm, maybe if I wait long enough it will turn back into wine! On the other hand, tarragon wine does not sound very appealing. :wink:

Good to know though - this bottle says '06. :oops: Needless to say, I don't use it often.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Beth, I have a lot of rices too but I don't use them very often. I keep mine in a gallon ziplock in the freezer since the brown rice can oxidize and taste rancid after a time. I haven't had any go bad yet.