Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Glass bakeware that shatters

no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Glass bakeware that shatters

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Just ran across this rather alarming article about Pyrex and Anchor Hocking glass bakeware shattering with an alarming frequency.

Checked it out on the Consumer Reports website. Seems to be a legitimate concern. I suspect we need to be careful about how we handle these items in our kitchens.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm

Consumer Reports examined 163 incidents in detail and found that in three-quarters, the bakeware was being used at 375 degrees or less, and about half exploded while in the oven. Yikes, that leaves another half out where they can send glass shards flying into your eyes. How to avoid this? Consumer Reports had a whole lot of recommendations:

* Put hot glassware on a dry cloth potholder or towel to cool
* Do not use glassware under a broiler or on a stovetop
* Let your oven fully preheat before putting glassware in it
* If you're cooking meat or vegetables in glassware, cover the bottom with liquid
* If the glassware is hot, do not add liquid (basting is out, people)
* Do not overheat butter or oil in glassware or the microwave
* Don't put dishes from the oven into the freezer and vice versa
* Hot glassware should not be put on metal of any kind, stovetops, in the sink, on countertops, or on any damp or wet surface
* Dishes with chips or cracks, even small ones, are more vulnerable
* Consider using metal bakeware in the oven

http://www.chow.com/food-news/68869/exploding-bakeware-attacks-your-face/?tag=sidebar;most_popular_module
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Glass bakeware that shatters

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 am

Wow! I've used pyrex dishes and measuring cups ( heated) for more years than I want to think about- never once have I had a problem. If it didn't come from Consumer Reports ( and Lois), I'm not sure I would have believed it.

Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 am

Is this with new glassware/bakeware? I have some glass pieces that i use A LOT, but all are old pieces. i even put my glass measuring cups in the microwave when softening and melting butter, never would think it would shatter.

This reminds me of an incident when i was younger. I was young, probably 14 or so, and had baked something, well i put my mom's glass 9x13 straight on the counter..... CRACK! i honestly didn't know it would happen, i was devastated. but my mom was cool about....whew!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 am

That happened to me a few years ago- ended up with glass in my leg. I haven't used anything glass since in the oven.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 am

I thought the same thing, Deb. Ran across the story on the Chowhound website; wasn't 100% certain it was "legit" till I checked it out and found it on dozens of other sources, including all the primary news networks. Looks like the story broke in early December. Regardless, I think we need to be cautious.

My impression is that the issue has arisen in the past decade when they changed the formula for making the glass.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:00 am

That's kinda scary! Glad I only have a few glass dishes, but I'll be a lot more cautious with how I use them! Wasn't there something similar happening with some of the stoneware products a few years ago?
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 pm

A lot of my "glass bakeware" is actually Corningware. I'm sure a lot of the same precautions should be exercised with Corningware but I wonder if their products are having the same issues. Is Corningware "ceramic" instead of glass? I don't know.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:A lot of my "glass bakeware" is actually Corningware. I'm sure a lot of the same precautions should be exercised with Corningware but I wonder if their products are having the same issues. Is Corningware "ceramic" instead of glass? I don't know.

i wondered the same thing Lois. I also have a lot of corning ware that i use and wondered if they are the same material.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm

trying to understand something? does it shatter while in the oven and maybe the cold air hits it? or just when it is placed on a counter.

i usually place my glass things on a trivet covered with a towel. Always afraid of putting them on my glass stovetop as well.

well this is more reason to look for some good metal bakeware........ any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Damn. I wish one of those things would shatter for me (sans any significant injuries of course). If that were to happen you'd all be visiting me down in Palm Beach where I'd be hanging out with my new (rich) friends. :P 8)
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I think that Snopes has one of the most up to date webpages on this subject:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

And, Stevie TP, this is the warning listed at the Pyrex website:

Warnings

FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE WARNINGS BELOW MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR MAY CAUSE YOUR GLASSWARE TO BREAK OR SHATTER IMMEDIATELY OR LATER.

Avoid sudden temperature changes to glassware. DO NOT add liquid to hot glassware; place hot glassware on a wet or cool surface, directly on countertop or metal surface, or in sink; or handle hot glassware with wet cloth. Allow hot glassware to cool on a cooling rack, potholder or dry cloth. Be sure to allow hot glassware to cool as provided above before washing, refrigerating or freezing.
Oven must be preheated before inserting glassware.
DO NOT use on or under a flame or other direct heat source, including on a stove top, under a broiler, on a grill or in a toaster oven.
Add a small amount of liquid sufficient to cover the bottom of the dish prior to cooking foods that may release liquid.
Avoid handling hot glassware (including ware with silicone gripping surfaces) without dry potholders.
Avoid microwave misuse. DO NOT use glassware to microwave popcorn or foods wrapped in heat-concentrating material (such as special browning wrappers), heat empty or nearly empty glassware in microwave, or overheat oil or butter in microwave (use minimum amount of cooking time).
Be careful when handling broken glass because pieces may be extremely sharp and difficult to locate.
Handling your glassware without an appropriate degree of care could result in breakage, chipping, cracking or severe scratching. DO NOT use or repair any glassware that is chipped, cracked or severely scratched.
DO NOT drop or hit glassware against a hard object or strike utensils against it.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 am

On Christmas Eve 14 years ago, I had a pyrex casserole dish with broccoli casserole in it. I took it out of the oven and put it on the counter to cool on a trivet. Suddenly, the dish exploded like a grenade. I guess a cold draft hit it, but there was broccoli, cheese, and glass stuck to the ceiling. Huge mess. I only use stoneware or ceramics now. Pyrex is supposed to be heat tempered as to not have this problem, but It does happen.