Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Winging it with a Margherita pizza recipe

by Ray Griffith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm using plum Roma tomatoes, garlic, salt, mozzarella, olive oil and parm. After baking is finished, the recipe says to add basil leaves cut into strips.

Do you think it would be overkill with the greens if a added chopped spinach to the sauce before baking?
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Winging it with a Magherita pizza recipe

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:I'm using plum Roma tomatoes, garlic, salt, mozzarella, olive oil and parm. After baking is finished, the recipe says to add basil leaves cut into strips.

Do you think it would be overkill with the greens if a added chopped spinach to the sauce before baking?

It would taste good, but it probably wouldn't be a margherita any more. On the other hand, if it tastes good and you're not making it in competition, then so what? It certainly would be good to eat.
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Winging it with a Magherita pizza recipe

by Ray Griffith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:I'm using plum Roma tomatoes, garlic, salt, mozzarella, olive oil and parm. After baking is finished, the recipe says to add basil leaves cut into strips.

It would taste good, but it probably wouldn't be a margherita any more. On the other hand, if it tastes good and you're not making it in competition, then so what? It certainly would be good to eat.

Thanks Robin!
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Re: Winging it with a Margherita pizza recipe

by Madeline Peters » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm

We just got back from Atlanta where we tried Antica Pizza Napoletana. They have a trick that I thought was great. They layered a small amount of shredded mozzarella (preferably whole milk) on the pizza skin then drizzled the sauce over the cheese. The toppings came next including pieces of fior di latte mozzarella. This really helped to keep the pizza crisp yet you felt there was plenty of sauce. I have read that another coal oven pizzeria is doing this same trick in Chicago but this was the first time I witnessed how it was done.