Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Hot Sauce of the Month Club?

no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

Hot Sauce of the Month Club?

by Madi D » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 pm

My boyfriend LOVES hot sauce and is always on the lookout for new and daring kinds. I am thinking for Christmas I would like to get him a "Hot Sauce of the Month" type thing, where they ship you different kind/kinds every month. A quick google search turned up a few available on amazon.com. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? Recommendations?
Thanks!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Hot Sauce of the Month Club?

by Steve P » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Madi D wrote:My boyfriend LOVES hot sauce and is always on the lookout for new and daring kinds. I am thinking for Christmas I would like to get him a "Hot Sauce of the Month" type thing, where they ship you different kind/kinds every month. A quick google search turned up a few available on amazon.com. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? Recommendations?
Thanks!

Madi,

Aside from the absolutely ridiculous hot stuff, I've probably tried many/most hot sauces on the market. My suggestion would be to forgo the "of the month" club (these type of operations usually charge a ridiculously high price for what turns out to be middle of the road products...no matter what the product) and instead go for a "best of" type of gift. There used to be several companies that would let you "roll your own" hot sauce gift box...that is to say you pick the product and they package it in a nice box. I haven't done this type of thing for a while, so you'll probably have to do a Google search to find a source.

Let me know if you want some hot sauce recommendations.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Hot Sauce of the Month Club?

by JohnS » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Agreed on the 'of the month' things being more hot than flavor - they push the latest 'burn your colon out' sauces and charge a premium for the pain.

My suggestion - make a nice personalized card offering a trip to Jungle Jims in Cinci with a 'To the bearer of this card, 3 bottles of sauce' kind of thing. The selection of hot sauces there is amazing, and the trip will probably result in a cart of non-hot goodies as a bonus.