Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

cake pan question.....

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

cake pan question.....

by Becky M » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm

I am interested in buying a large cake pan. The word i want to use is a sheet cake, but i dont know what exact size that is. I have a jelly roll pan but i have never made a regular cake in it, i am wanting a regular type pan, but larger. Basically i am needing double of a 9x13, but as i have googled im bombarded with different sizes and types. Preferably nothing super expensive, this is just for my personal birthdays, family, and church functions.

also what is a good yet simple recipe to practice with on a larger cake?
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: cake pan question.....

by Becky M » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:01 pm

i feel like an idiot.....let me correct myself.... i think i am looking for a HALFsheet pan. I just read that a full sheet cake feeds almost 90 people... thats a bit out of my league.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Becky, if you are looking for WHERE to buy a half-sheet pan, I think they have them at the GFS store in Clarksville.

Found this at http://www.ochef.com/160.htm:

How Big is a Sheet Pan?
What are the dimensions of a full sheet pan?
Too easy — 18" by 26" as measured across the top. Because the sides slope in toward the bottom, the bottom measures 17-3/4" by 25-3/4".
If you are asking to see if you can possibly jam one into your home oven, the answer is no, especially since you want 2 inches free on each side of the pan to allow the hot air to circulate freely. There is a 3/4-size pan, 15" by 21", that will fit most home ovens; half-size pans, at 18" by 13," coming out your ears; and many choices for quarter-size pans, as well, at 13" by 9".
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 pm

From
How much batter to make a half sheet cake?
I am making a half sheet cake for a party. How many recipes of the cake will I need for the pan? Also, does anyone have any luck making it a two layer without breaking the cake when it comes out of the pan? Thanks.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

12 cups of cake batter

Half sheet pan Standard 18x13x1 or 16x12x2 or x3 or 18x12x2 - approx. 12 cups - serves 30 to 48
http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitu

One cake mix yields 4 to 6 cups of batter.

For the regular 11x15x2-inch pan, use 2 cake mixes. For the 12x18x2-inch pan, use 3 cake mixes.
http://www.baking911.com/cakes/mixes.htm
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:27 pm

12x18 is a half sheet. It's a good size pan. There's a cake supply store, I want to say Bryant's (?), in Louisville that sells great straight sided 3" deep pans. That will make a very big cake. I did a double layer one yesterday (with a 8" round on pedestals above it) yesterday for my parent's anniversary. It feed 50 with about 1/3 of it left (but I did do double layers with filing and LARGE pieces).
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Becky, if you are looking for WHERE to buy a half-sheet pan, I think they have them at the GFS store in Clarksville.

Found this at http://www.ochef.com/160.htm:

How Big is a Sheet Pan?
What are the dimensions of a full sheet pan?
Too easy — 18" by 26" as measured across the top. Because the sides slope in toward the bottom, the bottom measures 17-3/4" by 25-3/4".
If you are asking to see if you can possibly jam one into your home oven, the answer is no, especially since you want 2 inches free on each side of the pan to allow the hot air to circulate freely. There is a 3/4-size pan, 15" by 21", that will fit most home ovens; half-size pans, at 18" by 13," coming out your ears; and many choices for quarter-size pans, as well, at 13" by 9".

Lois thanks for recommending the Clarksville GFS. Living here in Jeff, i tend to forget that i have that in my area. i am going to have to check that out.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm

TrishaW wrote:12x18 is a half sheet. It's a good size pan. There's a cake supply store, I want to say Bryant's (?), in Louisville that sells great straight sided 3" deep pans. That will make a very big cake. I did a double layer one yesterday (with a 8" round on pedestals above it) yesterday for my parent's anniversary. It feed 50 with about 1/3 of it left (but I did do double layers with filing and LARGE pieces).

Thanks Trisha, i believe that is about the size i am wanting. So, the weight of the two 12x18's on each other is ok then? what recipe do use for that size cake pan? Sorry for all the questions, i just have never attempted a larger sized cake.

i saw a wilton brand cake pan that size, but was turned off by the quality. It seemed very flimsy and not worth the $16, but i dont know if that is the price range for that type of pan.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Becky, if a standard cake mix makes a 9x13" pan, then we can assume a double batch would be right for a "half" sheet pan measuring twice those dimensions (18x13"). The cooking time would probably have to be extended and you'll have to judge doneness through testing.

Also, be sure to measure the inside dimensions of your oven. I have a double-oven range (small one over a full-sized one). I have a couple of sheet pans that fit in one oven but not the other. And don't forget to allow for at least 2" inches on all four sides of your pan for air circulation.

Hope this is helpful.

Lois
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Becky, if a standard cake mix makes a 9x13" pan, then we can assume a double batch would be right for a "half" sheet pan measuring twice those dimensions (18x13"). The cooking time would probably have to be extended and you'll have to judge doneness through testing.

Also, be sure to measure the inside dimensions of your oven. I have a double-oven range (small one over a full-sized one). I have a couple of sheet pans that fit in one oven but not the other. And don't forget to allow for at least 2" inches on all four sides of your pan for air circulation.

Hope this is helpful.

Lois

i have read about that size needing about two cake mixes, i was just wondering about a recipe for a scratch one as well. I do believe it will fit in my oven...... btw....envying your double oven here.... :) :) :)
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Love, love, LOVE my Maytag Gemini range (electric with ceramic top). Similar to:

Yes, you lose the bottom drawer but we only use the little upper oven 95% of the time (just two of us here) so all my cast iron skillets and baking sheets are stashed in the big oven. On Thanksgiving, etc., I do have to pull all that stuff out and stash it somewhere but this works for us.

And the little oven heats up in just 2 or 3 minutes. I'm sure this unit has saved us quite a bit from heating up a big oven 4 or 5 times a week. Perfect for a small family.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Love, love, LOVE my Maytag Gemini range (electric with ceramic top). Similar to:

Yes, you lose the bottom drawer but we only use the little upper oven 95% of the time (just two of us here) so all my cast iron skillets and baking sheets are stashed in the big oven. On Thanksgiving, etc., I do have to pull all that stuff out and stash it somewhere but this works for us.

And the little oven heats up in just 2 or 3 minutes. I'm sure this unit has saved us quite a bit from heating up a big oven 4 or 5 times a week. Perfect for a small family.

I'm turning green! i looked at the double oven stove when i purchased my stove on Thanksgiving of last year. But, they were completely out of my price range. Just like in a movie my stove DIED completely two days before thanksgiving. We were looking for one desperately, at the time had no internet service so couldnt look on Craigslist. So, we went to Home Depot and just bought a mid-level glasstop electric stove. For $350 it has worked out VERY well! My only complaint is that the oven gets a bit too hot, but i have managed to work around that.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Bryant's is a great resource for all things cake and candy.

And good for you not buying a Wilton pan. They are total crap.

Magic Line is the preferred brand for serious bakers.