Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

The Peppers are coming..........

by TrishaW » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Coming in, that is. Jesus, I've got tons! lol I'm making hot pepper sauce later this week if all goes well (my mom is in the hospital atm). My ghost chilis are LOADED (seriously with the ten plants I'm looking at probably 150 peppers or so and more are coming on from the blooms that are still blooming). My sport peppers picked up alot of heat from the ghosts, so are spicy. Those are producing mountains, too. My one little Thai dragon is trying to set a world record. lol

Besides hot sauce, what else should I make??
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: The Peppers are coming..........

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am

You could make a garlic/chili paste, peppers in sweet japanese rice vinegar, dry them and powder them for a wicked bbq rub.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 am

Have you tried to any of the ghost peppers yet? Are you going to pickle those sport peppers, if so I might want to buy a jar off you.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am

John Hagan wrote:Have you tried to any of the ghost peppers yet? Are you going to pickle those sport peppers, if so I might want to buy a jar off you.

John,

Per our conversation at dinner tonight, I'm still thinking your (new) supplier sent you Red Savina seeds as opposed to Bhut Jolokia seeds. The "ghost peppers" I'm growing this year bear very little physical resemblance to what I grew last year...but they DO look exactly like a Red Savina. Maybe I'll get stupid this weekend and try one, THAT will tell the story. :? :shock:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Barbara A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

St. Matthews

by Barbara A » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 am

Steve,
Let us know how that turns out and exactly how you prepared the peppers for consumption. I am always interested in hot new creations. :lol:
If you can't cope you can always cook
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 am

Steve P wrote:John,

Per our conversation at dinner tonight, I'm still thinking your (new) supplier sent you Red Savina seeds as opposed to Bhut Jolokia seeds. The "ghost peppers" I'm growing this year bear very little physical resemblance to what I grew last year...but they DO look exactly like a Red Savina. Maybe I'll get stupid this weekend and try one, THAT will tell the story. :? :shock:

Hey Steve, I dont what to tell you. Yes, it is a new supplier for those Bhut seeds, but it is a very reliable company. As I recall I gave you some savinas this year and only one Bhut, I might be wrong,but thats kind of what I remember. Maybe Trisha could let us know what her ghost peppers look like, she got some from us.
Hey Trisha...did I see you at the farmers last week? Maybe somebody else?
If I sowed something other than the Bhuts, I am very very sorry. Getting the wrong seed is one of biggest nightmares. You dont know you got screwed until its too late. We always try our best but on occasion mistakes happen.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 am

John Hagan wrote: If I sowed something other than the Bhuts, I am very very sorry. Getting the wrong seed is one of biggest nightmares. You dont know you got screwed until its too late. We always try our best but on occasion mistakes happen.

John,

Man, don't even worry about it a little bit...I just grow the dang things for a conversation piece. I'm sure if any snafu occurred it was on the supplier level. No biggie.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 pm

John, they are habeneros. After getting some off of the bushes, I'm pretty positive. They are lovely peppers though, so I'm not really upset. I'm probably gonna have about 100 peppers (probably more) off of my ten bushes. Being habeneros makes them easier to work with. I may do some peach-habenero bbq sauce. I'll definitely be doing hot sauce.

I really would like to have some Bhut's, but it isn't a big deal. I'll get more plants from you next year and try again.

Nope, not me. Unfortunately, my mother has been in the hospital for over a week so my trips to Louisville don't exist at the moment.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 am

John Hagan wrote:
Steve P wrote:John,

Hey Steve, I dont what to tell you. Yes, it is a new supplier for those Bhut seeds, but it is a very reliable company. As I recall I gave you some savinas this year and only one Bhut, I might be wrong,but thats kind of what I remember. Maybe Trisha could let us know what her ghost peppers look like, she got some from us.
Hey Trisha...did I see you at the farmers last week? Maybe somebody else?
If I sowed something other than the Bhuts, I am very very sorry. Getting the wrong seed is one of biggest nightmares. You dont know you got screwed until its too late. We always try our best but on occasion mistakes happen.

I've been told that we don't have long enough and hot enough summers here (notwithstanding this year's crazy weather) to grow Bhuts here. Is that not true? I do have some seeds but didn't sow them for that reason.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:27 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I've been told that we don't have long enough and hot enough summers here (notwithstanding this year's crazy weather) to grow Bhuts here. Is that not true? I do have some seeds but didn't sow them for that reason.

I grew 'em last year...They didn't ripen until almost the middle of Sept (one of the reason I put the current crop on the "suspect" list). No sure if they got as hot as they do in more tropical climates but they were hot enough that Steve R damn near killed his boss with one of the ones I grew.

Seriously, these things are stupid hot. I grow them as a conversation piece more than anything else and I can't imagine a culinary use for them. Interestingly, I grow a lot of really hot peppers and in two years I've only had one incident with a deer getting in my garden (with no apparent damage to the veggies). Not sure if that is a result of the peppers or not.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info, Steve. Guess I'll give them a go next year and see what happens.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Ghost chilis are the Devil in a small, red package. I ventured up to Jungle Jims today for the Weekend of Fire hot food expo, and was doing great with all the samples until I ran into someone with some ghost chili salsa. Had a medium sized glob of it on a tortilla and actually pondered suicide at one point during the 10 minutes it took to stop burning..... The two 'loaner kids' I took with me for the trip laughed their little butts off as I gasped in pain - it literally took my breath away for the first few seconds.

Did get to meet Captain Thom of Captain Thom's Chili Pepper Company while I was there tho, which was pretty cool. Their Thai Monkey sauce and Slappin Fat Bacon Ketchup are epic good, and several bottles of each were in my bag when I left. And yes, I said bacon ketchup:

http://hotsaucedaily.com/2010/07/07/bacon-ketchup-from-captain-thoms/

(but in defense of the ghost, the flavor of the salsa - or at least the tiny taste I got before my tongue melted - was pretty good. Very habaneroesque,)
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:39 am

JohnS wrote:Ghost chilis are the Devil in a small, red package. I ventured up to Jungle Jims today for the Weekend of Fire hot food expo, and was doing great with all the samples until I ran into someone with some ghost chili salsa.

I love "hot foods" but having sampled a couple of the ghost pepper sauces when they first appeared on the market (with my experience being similar to what you're describing with the salsa), I'm at a loss as to a legitimate use for them other than to amaze your friends and kill your enemies. In the wrong hands these things are dangerous.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Started harvesting these today -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Steve P wrote:I love "hot foods" but having sampled a couple of the ghost pepper sauces when they first appeared on the market (with my experience being similar to what you're describing with the salsa), I'm at a loss as to a legitimate use for them other than to amaze your friends and kill your enemies. In the wrong hands these things are dangerous.

Some of the vendors there had jolokia products that were actually quite good - CaJohn's comes to mind as one of them - but one or two went way overboard. I went with the labels as I was tasting, and the salsa that kicked my butt was simply labeled as 'hot', so I assumed it was just a habanero or extract based one... Next year I plan on asking a couple more questions before popping chips with lava on them in my mouth.

And TP - nice chile. A thai, right?
Next