Here is a picture of the recipe that I will be competing with at the ACF Southeast Regional Conference. It's for the Minute Rice "Flavors of the Mediterranean" Recipe Contest. I will be cooking live on the trade show floor, next Saturday, head to head against 3 other chefs for a $500 cash prize and a chance to represent our region at the ACF National Convention in Las Vegas this summer.
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try this at home:
Lamb Kafta & Apricot, Olive, Tomato Tagine with Caraway Rice
2 Lbs. Ground Lamb
2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Ginger
3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Garlic
2 Tablespoons Ground Turmeric
4 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons Caraway Seeds
4 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
4 Teaspoons Fennel Seeds
4 Teaspoons Allspice
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Cup Diced Red Onions
½ Cup Dried Apricots, halved
½ Cup Golden Raisins
½ Cup Pitted Olives (any variety)
1 14 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
1 16 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons Fresh Grated Lemon Zest
1 26 oz. Carton Chicken Stock
3 Cups White or Brown Minute Rice
1. In 6 or 8 qt. Dutch Oven or other braising pan, add Chicken Stock and Caraway Seeds and bring to boil. Add Minute Rice, stir, cover and remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from pan, fluff rice and set aside in covered dish to keep warm.
2. While rice is resting, combine Ground Lamb with 2 tablespoons Cumin and 2 teaspoons each Cinnamon, Fennel Seeds and Allspice, incorporating well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Form Lamb into 2 oz. meatballs (approx. 16 ea)
4. Heat Olive Oil in pan and add formed Meatballs and Red Onions Cook until Meatballs are lightly browned on all sides and Onions are translucent. (about 3-4 minutes)
5. Add Minced Ginger & Garlic and all remaining spices and sauté for about a minute, stirring well, being careful not to burn.
6. Stir in all remaining ingredients except Cilantro and Lemon Zest and bring to boil.
7. Cover, Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
8. For service, place cooked rice in serving dish and ladle meatballs with sauce over top and garnish with Cilantro and Lemon Zest.
Makes Approx. 4-6 servings
Dan ThomasLooking for a new email@example.com
"People who aren't interested in food seem rather dry, unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."