Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Billy Beer

no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Billy Beer

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:35 pm

There is a good story on Billy Beer in the current issue of Modern Drunkard magazine. It is toward the bottom of the page. In the same issue is an article called The Subtle Art of Beer Snobbery, don't just guzzle that beer, judge it. Enjoy!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

Re: Billy Beer

by Paul Mick » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Why have I never seen this magazine before?

Thanks for the link, I found it quite amusing.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Paul Mick wrote:Why have I never seen this magazine before?

Thanks for the link, I found it quite amusing.

It's actually a print magazine with a good website. Someone turned me on to it about 4 years ago. Most of the articles are well written & hilarious.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 pm

David,

Loved the article on beer snobbery. Thanks for sharing.

Say hello to the The Beer Fuehrer when you see him today :D
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 pm

export: this is a type of beer so awful the locals refuse to drink it, so the brewery ships it off to foreigners who don’t know any better.

fruit: these flavored beers were introduced to appeal to women and certain men who get very defensive when you inform them they are plainly homosexual.

Classic stuff. Very funny.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:33 pm

A friend of mine from collage writes for this mag. Richard English. He is working on coming out to KY to do a story on Bourbon.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Wow...I had forgotten all about Billy Beer. My ex-father-in-law worked at the old Falls City brewery, where Billy Beer was brewed during its brief lifespan. He had his picture taken with Billy Carter. He also kept a couple six packs for souvenirs - wonder where they are today??
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Mike D wrote:Wow...I had forgotten all about Billy Beer. My ex-father-in-law worked at the old Falls City brewery, where Billy Beer was brewed during its brief lifespan. He had his picture taken with Billy Carter. He also kept a couple six packs for souvenirs - wonder where they are today??

The gentleman I purchased my home from was the inventor of Billy Beer; Joe Phillips, VP Sales and Marketing for Falls City. When my wife and I toured our house prior to making an offer we saw a bunch of unused Billy Beer caps on the floor in the basement. I commented to our Realtor friend that the owner must have been a home brewer. Her eyes lit up and she pulled a 8.5 x 11 glossy from a stack on a storage shelf. Two guys in the picture wearing ugly ass wide '70s ties. She asks if I recognize either. Of course, I say, that one is Billy Carter, who is the other? She tells us "that is Joe Phillips, the inventor of Billy Beer and the guy you are about to buy this house from". We've been here 9 years and the house has been lived in by a brewery employee exclusively since 1949! End of story.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am

Billy Beer - still a conversation piece in what is left of my old school beer can collection :)
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:39 am

I actually found a case of non returnable bottles of Billy Beer on top of the walk in cooler in my old building as we were starting to tear things down. Apparently my dad had stashed it up there to keep it safe and completely forgot about it. There was also a case of cans, but being steel, they had rusted small holes and the beer had evaporated away.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444