Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

AVALON - review

no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

AVALON - review

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 am

I am going to Avalon tonight; are there any must try eats or drinks?

Review to follow
Last edited by JustinHammond on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: AVALON - What should I try?

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 am

Lobster mac-n-cheese!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 am

They have a good wedge salad and a good burger.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

The Cuban sandwich rocks. We like Avalon, but go a lot more in good weather because of the patio. Nice drink menu too.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:The Cuban sandwich rocks. We like Avalon, but go a lot more in good weather because of the patio. Nice drink menu too.

The martini list looks interesting, but the beer list sucks.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Truffled lobster man n cheese is my absolute favorite guilty pleasure food. That and the BLT salad make a great meal!
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: AVALON - review

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:03 pm

We decided on apps, drinks, and dessert and were not disappointed.

We had the Lemon Drop, Bourbon Ball, and Blood Orange martinis; which were all delicious.

Lobster Mac and Cheese - 9/10
Thai Meatballs - 7/10 (Good flavor, a tad on the dry side)
Calamari - 8/10
Deviled Eggs - 10/10 (Best deviled eggs I have ever tasted)

Chocolate Tasting - 10/10 (Peanut butter cake with toffee ice cream and dulce de leche foam)
Nutella Rangoons - 10/10 (fried wontons filled with Nutella and coated in cinnamon sugar)

My only complaint is that they don't consider BBC or Sam Adams a domestic beer. We were there during happy hour which consist of 1/2 off domestic beer and BBC is not included. Beer that is made 10 miles away and it is not domestic, go figure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm

My only complaint is that they don't consider BBC or Sam Adams a domestic beer. We were there during happy hour which consist of 1/2 off domestic beer and BBC is not included. Beer that is made 10 miles away and it is not domestic, go figure.

What's the reason for this one? I think someone answered it on here, but am not certain.,
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:31 am

Kyle L wrote:

What's the reason for this one? I think someone answered it on here, but am not certain.,

I didn't ask for a reason. I ordered a Dark Star Porter and was informed its wasn't considered a domestic. Bud, Miller, and Coors Light only. Sierra Nevada was also on the beer list, but I doubt it was a "domestic".

no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Kyle L wrote:

When it comes to beer, domestic doesnt mean what the word means. Bud, Miller and Coors are domestic the same way a Toyota is domestic.

Restaurateurs really need to come up with a new word. I understand not wanting to call them "cheap", but something that actually means remotely what it means would be nice.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Kyle L wrote:

When it comes to beer, domestic doesnt mean what the word means. Bud, Miller and Coors are domestic the same way a Toyota is domestic.

Restaurateurs really need to come up with a new word. I understand not wanting to call them "cheap", but something that actually means remotely what it means would be nice.

How about a) water beers, b) for people who don't like the taste of beer, c) crap beers, d) fake beer ... I could go on
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Kyle L wrote:Restaurateurs really need to come up with a new word. I understand not wanting to call them "cheap", but something that actually means remotely what it means would be nice.

What's in a name? That which we call a Bud
By any other name would smell as foul :D

I agree wholeheartedly though. Perhaps Louisville should just get around to seceding, and then the name would have to change. (Of course we'll take Jeffersonville and New Albany with us when we go.)
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Kyle L wrote:

I agree. I vote for "crap beer," which is exactly what I know it is even though I drink it sometimes. Or how about "Shwag beer"? :)
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm

The wife and I enjoyed another great meal at Avalon, this time on the patio.

Slow-Roasted Achiote Pork Tacos 10/10
Cheese Board 10/10
Pow-Pow Shrimp 9/10
Fish & Chips 9/10
Service (Matthew) 10/10

Maybe the most perfect service I have every received. Timing was perfect, attitude was perfect, just awesome service. I even asked to speak to the manager to make him aware of the awesome service I had received.

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri May 07, 2010 9:04 am

We went last night and sat on the patio. Great weather, fun crowd. Lobster mac and cheese, salad, and Avalon burger with duck fries - all was very good.

I do need to pose a question - we watched a gentleman (owner? maitre d? not sure - he was dressed relatively casually, but not like a server) approach no less than four tables who had finished their meal and paid, but were lingering a bit, some still finishing drinks, and ask them to move to the bar area (which was 110% packed with no available seating). At least one of these tables had been lingering a bit over water glasses, but at least two had just paid their bill within 10 minutes of his approach and were still finishing alcoholic beverages.

Is this good practice? I understand the need to turn tables over, and a four top lingering over water is not brining in any $$$, and I've read Alan H's take on this (and I can understand it being a real problem at Captain's Quarters because of the view).

But 10 minutes? We both had half-glasses of wine remaining after we paid our bill, and I saw him eyeing us almost immediately. My wife suggested we stay and time how long it took him to ask us to move, but I wasn't in the mood.

Great experience for us, but if he would have come to us, after just paying our bill, I would have been super-pissed. The other folks he asked to move did not seem very happy about it.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Next