Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

John Flaherty

no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

John Flaherty

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:21 am

John Flaherty, one of the original Flaherty Bros. from the old Essex House, passed away this week. I noticed the obit in yesterday's CJ. All of us that work with John in the past will remember him as a sweet kind man. I thought his passing shouldn't go unnoticed.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: John Flaherty

by John Greenup » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I noticed the obit the other day....those too young or too new to the Louisville area will not remember the Essex House....great prime rib!
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Where was the Essex House located? The other family restaurants? Flaherty's at Dupont near Victoria Station?
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Ellen P wrote:Where was the Essex House located? The other family restaurants? Flaherty's at Dupont near Victoria Station?

Near the corner of Bardstwon Rd and Gardiner Ln, as I recall...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 am

Once upon a time the Flaherty Brothers were THE name in dining in Louisville. (Think late 1950s) They were even guests on the television show, "I've Got A Secret". They owned the Essex House (John G. is right-) at Bardstown Rd and 264. It has since been torn down and the Sullivan Bakery is now in the general area. (Essex House was actually a bit further back where another restaurant was once located. Darryl's maybe?)
After the Essex House closed one brother, Garland, split off to establish and run Flaherty's III at Dupont. He had another location somewhere over in Hikes Point very briefly before he passed away. Another brother, Roscoe, opened his own restaurant in the Holiday Manor Shopping Center taking over a spot called JRs. It was very popular and enjoyed a good lunch business and a great dinner business every night. The bar jumped constantly. Roscoe was a sweetheart but passed away, I'm not sure , maybe 5 or so years ago. HIS old restaurant location was torn down and the Holiday Manor Walk was built.

John was the last remaining brother that I had ever worked with. (I think there was either 1 or 2 additional brothers but I didn't know them.) John usually worked the service bar at Roscoe's. He was such a gentleman.
I bet there are a ton of people that will miss him tremendously. RIP John.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:25 am

carla griffin wrote: Essex House was actually a bit further back where another restaurant was once located. Darryl's maybe?

Darryl's is correct.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 am

This dates me. After working with a band, Garland hired me to play happy hour at the Rose Bowl Location in 74. He was there before DuPont. He expected female entertainers to dress well, but we were underage and had to sit in the bowling alley during breaks, lol!

I went from there to work with Roscoe and John at the piano bar in the Essex House. I was barely 20 then and the youngest ever in there. It had a "gut bucket" and many singers, banjo players, etc joined in for the oldies. I learned a LOT. They had a dinner band in the restaurant and Cindy Hayes and Joni Brohm often sang and people danced.

When I went back to college, I played for Roscoe at the Holiday Manor location. They were the sweetest men. They didn't drink alcohol, but would drink about 2 pots of coffee every day! If you did a good job for them, they treated you very well and were always gentlemen. They employed many musicians and we have lots to thank them for!
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks for info everyone. I couldn't remember the name of JR's at Holiday Manor. Also, I still can't picture the Essex where Darryls was built and I grew up in the area.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Actually, when Roscoe took over JR's , he changed the name to Roscoe Flaherty's Prime Rib House. I think that was 1981.
no avatar
User

TeriCP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Louisville Highlands

by TeriCP » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 am

I love reading the memories.

Roscoe was our next door neighbor.. (We still live there and the house has since passed on to his youngest son). Roscoe passed away from cancer about 10 years ago. His wife, Marie, passed on just last year.

We knew all of the Flaherty brothers and extended family. They all were wonderful, very traditional men. As Irish as Irish can get... I'm so glad that others remember them in the same light as we do.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 am

TeriCP wrote:I love reading the memories.

Roscoe was our next door neighbor.. (We still live there and the house has since passed on to his youngest son). Roscoe passed away from cancer about 10 years ago. His wife, Marie, passed on just last year.

We knew all of the Flaherty brothers and extended family. They all were wonderful, very traditional men. As Irish as Irish can get... I'm so glad that others remember them in the same light as we do.

Thank you for posting TeriCP. It just didn't seem right for another Flaherty brother to pass on without some sort on acknowledgment on these restaurant boards. I worked for Roscoe once upon a time. He was a very kind man and I felt privileged to work for him.( I was unaware of Marie's passing.) Louisville has become such an outstanding restaurant city with so much new and exciting talent. I thought a nod to some of trailblazers in the industry was in order.
Carla