Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Private Rooms @ Porcinis

no avatar
User

John LaFollette

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Private Rooms @ Porcinis

by John LaFollette » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 am

Any Porcini regulars out there? What's your take?
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:56 am

My first thought this morning as I was logging in here was whether anyone would have commented on the Porcini's angle.

Glad to see that was accomplished bright and early.

And yes, eww.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:06 am

All I have to say is that restuarants are struggling as it is right now - do we really need to draw negative attention to such a fine place and potentially do more harm in all the jokes? Let's try to grow up and be adults.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" - isn't that the old Hollywood saying?
"As long as they spell your name right."

This isn't going to hurt Porcini's at all, IMO. I'd be willing to bet that they'll see an increase in business.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:26 am

rebeccawebb wrote:All I have to say is that restuarants are struggling as it is right now - do we really need to draw negative attention to such a fine place and potentially do more harm in all the jokes? Let's try to grow up and be adults.

I agree to some extent, but this story is in every local and national media, and Porcini's is mentioned by name in nearly all of them. I don't think a few off-color jokes on Hotbytes will have any effect in the grand scheme.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 pm

John LaFollette wrote:Any Porcini regulars out there? What's your take?

Not a regular, but a great fan of Porcini's. Personally I think it's irrelevant to the restaurant- it's not like it happened while the restaurant was open to give it a shady rep. Pitino however is a different story ( ugh!).

As a marketing professional, I do agree that this type of PR could actually be good for Porcini's ( as they did nothing wrong). It does get their name out there in a big way, particularly locally, and remind folks to come and visit. I bet their revenues go up for a while.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

by Bonnie E. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Sad, sad, sad.............
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Deb, I think Porcini's does bear some of the responsibility. The owner of the place allowed this to happen at his establishment.

With that said, I don't think the business will suffer.

DD
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
John LaFollette wrote:Any Porcini regulars out there? What's your take?

Not a regular, but a great fan of Porcini's. Personally I think it's irrelevant to the restaurant- it's not like it happened while the restaurant was open to give it a shady rep. Pitino however is a different story ( ugh!).

As a marketing professional, I do agree that this type of PR is actually good for Porcini's ( as they did nothing wrong). It does get their name out there in a big way, particularly locally, and remind folks to come and visit. I bet their revenues go up for a while.

Deb

I'd disagree. I'm not a marketing professional, but I just got off the phone with a friend who has used Porcinis as venue for special occasions and will now not go back.

Do you think they cleaned off all the tables after Pitino (trying to find a classy yet humorous euphemism here)... finished his meal?

I'm not a Louisville native, had never heard of Porcinis until today, and have 0 interest in eating there. They may have an initial up spike in customers as their name is over everything, but I have to assume they are going to lose a decent number of regular customers.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 pm

I really don't see why everyone is so surprised about this. For years, the word on the street has been that Pitino is a notorious tomcat. Nothing has fundamentally changed about the situation. A woman was crazy enough to try and extort some money out of him, and she failed.

As for Porcini's, I really don't understand why this would turn people off to eating at the restaurant. I haven't been, but I've never heard anything but praise for it. This incident happened 6 years ago, and should have no bearing upon the perceived cleanliness of the restaurant today. To assume that Pitino's 'cooties' (or whatever you want to call it) still infest the place is absurd.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:Deb, I think Porcini's does bear some of the responsibility. The owner of the place allowed this to happen at his establishment.

With that said, I don't think the business will suffer.

DD

I could be wrong, but I believe Pitino has a business interest in Porcini's. Thus, the owner was only giving the keys to a partner who was staying late. Pitino alone is responsible for what happened after that.

Deb
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Will Terry wrote:They may have an initial up spike in customers as their name is over everything, but I have to assume they are going to lose a decent number of regular customers.

This too, will pass.
David O.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:11 pm

From Matt Jones at a UK blog (I've omitted the portions dealing with non-food related stuff):

"(2): I am interested in what happens to the restaurant formerly known as Porcini. Do they embrace the publicity? Do they change the name and let it die? Do they get in trouble when the county health inspector comes to review how patrons get to stay in the place after hours for extracurriculars and then “lock (or mop) up”. This might be the most fascinating subplot to me. Does Porcini become a destination for UK fans in Louisville wanting to see where it all went down? Would you go eat there right now? Does it feel sanitary? A good reporter would find out these questions, as the real loser early on in this affair seems to be the whatever locale saw Rick and Karen naked."

Full piece: http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=25364

Offered without comment. . .
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 pm

On a side note, too bad U of L's point gaurds can't score as big as Pitino! :wink:
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Sue H wrote:On a side note, too bad U of L's point gaurds can't score as big as Pitino! :wink:

Ehhhhhh...I don't know if I'd call that a big score or not. Judging from the pictures I've seen the man must have really been on one helluva a bender that night.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
PreviousNext