Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pierogi

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Pierogi

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Seen them several times on TV, and was even lucky enough to try a few at a tailgate one time, courtesy of a Polish family that just happened to be parked next to us.

They were unreal.

They were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives last night, and it got me craving them.

Anywhere to get them in Louisville? If not, anyone got any great recipes to attempt them at home?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pierogi

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Adrian, I'm not aware of any local restaurant that serves them. In fact, I don't recall there ever being a Polish restaurant in Louisville. I'm pretty sure there was a forum discussion about buying them frozen, brands and such ... try searching on the word, or later when I get a break I'll look and post a link in this thread.

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Seen them several times on TV, and was even lucky enough to try a few at a tailgate one time, courtesy of a Polish family that just happened to be parked next to us.

They were unreal.

They were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives last night, and it got me craving them.

Anywhere to get them in Louisville? If not, anyone got any great recipes to attempt them at home?
no avatar
User

Ryan Thiel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:33 pm

by Ryan Thiel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Monkey Wrench has them. You can get em prepared a couple different ways but my favorite is the version tossed with chorizo and onions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Ryan Thiel wrote:Monkey Wrench has them.

Thanks, Ryan! I completely forgot about that.

Here's that earlier Pierogis thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5721&p=57657
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Ok...seems we are going to have to try to make a trip to Monkey Wrench some time soon. Everyone keeps saying they have alot of our favorite things.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm too lazy to make them from scratch, but I like the ones in the frozen section at groceries--if you ever want to have them at home. I pretty much have to have perogies when I make cabbage.

I adore the Monkey Wrench, but their perogies are fried too crisp for my liking.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 am

The Food Network show "Down Home with the Neelys" featured a meal centered around peirogies a few weeks ago. One of the side dishes was kielbasa and sauerkraut. They cooked the sauerkraut with a little butter and sugar. We fixed that at home after seeing the show and we were amazed at how good it was.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:19 am

I drain and rinse my kraut. Then I dice a Granny Smith apple up and cook it in it. You'd be amazed how it goes well with the sausage and kraut.

My pierogis usually just get the sauteed with thin sliced onions in lots of real butter gig.