Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Re: Places to eat near Tinseltown .....

by Megan Watts » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am

Goose Creek diner really isn't that far from there.
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:59 am

Turkey Joe's is very good, and not a chain. Goose Creek Diner, not a chain.
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

by Karen H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 am

You should try Tea Station Chinese Bistro at Norton Commons. It's been a while since we ate there but it was very good and reasonably priced. I found an old copy of their menu and the prices were 10.95 to 13.95 for the highest seafood entree everything else was about 7.95 to 8.95 at least that gives you something to go on. I am sure they have gone up some but hopefully not a whole lot. After dinner you can then walk just a couple doors down to Gelato Gilberto for dessert...yum yum! :D Here is a couple links I found (Tea Station apparently does not have their own) http://www.nortoncommons.com/dining.asp ... Teastation and http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... 0474875386 Have a good time, I think that will be a movie that my daughter and I will have to see together also.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 pm

I love Karen's idea because it ends at Gilberto Gelato and that can never be a bad thing. I would probably go to La Perla then to Gilberto.
There is also a little Mexican place in the back of a grocery on Herr Ln, but I can't remember the name. Very little English spoken there, but wonderful dirt cheap food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm

GaryF wrote:There is also a little Mexican place in the back of a grocery on Herr Ln, but I can't remember the name. Very little English spoken there, but wonderful dirt cheap food.

My Patria. Three tables, great taqueria fare. We haven't found a problem with communication. They're friendly and can handle pointing at the menu by day. At night when their young son is there, it's perfect - he's a little gentleman (grade-school age) with perfect English.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.....i like how this forum always comes through like that........ I am throwing all these out at my daughter and see what she comes up with.

Gary, the Spanish is not a problem at all for me.....i am fully bilingual!
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 am

Goose Creek Diner is a good choice, they do good pastas and their menu covers alot of ground. Turkey Joes also is a excellent choice if your after a burger or wings, (10X better than that nearby chain, IMO) Tony Boombozz in the same strip mall as Turkey Joes. there is a backyard burger in the wallmart parking lot.

all quite affordable.
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:26 am

Liang's would be my top recommendation (even if I'm too late). It's a "standard" menu, so your daughter wouldn't be intimidated by the options, but Liang puts a different touch on most entrees (a "real" Chinese bistro!).

The portions are large, so my wife & I usually order a couple of appetizers, a soup each, and split an entree. It fits into your pricing, and as mentioned you can walk to Tinseltown from there.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 am

This thread is from almost three years ago, but it's exactly what I was going to ask. We're packing up our knapsacks + passports and departing from the Highlands to use some movie passes out at Tinseltown this afternoon and are looking for a lunch spot. Are any of the places mentioned in this thread still open? Liang's stood out to me. Still around? Have any new places cropped up that are worth visiting?
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

by Ryan Rogers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 am

Soora Korean - Goose Creek Road
Habana Blues - Hurstbourne and Westport
Guaca Mole - Hurstbourne near Limestone
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:11 am

Antonia L wrote:This thread is from almost three years ago, but it's exactly what I was going to ask. We're packing up our knapsacks + passports and departing from the Highlands to use some movie passes out at Tinseltown this afternoon and are looking for a lunch spot. Are any of the places mentioned in this thread still open? Liang's stood out to me. Still around? Have any new places cropped up that are worth visiting?

Liang's has been close for quite some time...everything in the place was auctioned back in mid-January.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

Antonia,

We live 1/2 mile from Tinseltown. Thoughts:
Guaca Mole would be an excellent ( !) choice, but they don't start doing lunch until Monday the 16th.

Corbett's does an excellent prix-fixe lunch for $20 that's quite a steal

Soora is close-by and has been getting good reviews here ( I haven't been yet)

My favorite Mexican tacqueria is a little bit down Hurstbourne to La Grange Road: El Mariachi. It's our go-to for authentic Mexican. Stock up on hispanic grocery supplies next door and buy fresh house-made tortillas at the bakery in the same strip ( dirt cheap!) .

Deb
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 am

Antonia, if you don't get out in the "country" often, I'd suggest going to Norton Commons. There are several restaurants: Tea Station Chinese Bistro, Karem's Grill & Pub, Verbena Cafe, maybe more. Personally, I'd go with Verbena Cafe. Whatever you do, if you go to Norton Commons, do end up at Gilberto Gelato for dessert! (It's closed on Mondays.)
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Antonia L wrote:Are any of the places mentioned in this thread still open? Liang's stood out to me. Still around? Have any new places cropped up that are worth visiting?

I am almost sure Liang's is closed, alas, and you're looking at chain country out there now. Are you willing to drive a little farther? Soora Korean or Taj Indian on Goose Creek near Westport are both worthy. Or pop over to Potemkin ... er, Norton Commons and hit Karem's, Verbena or Tea Station, all decent.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Antonia,

My favorite Mexican tacqueria is a little bit down Hurstbourne to La Grange Road: El Mariachi. It's our go-to for authentic Mexican. Stock up on hispanic grocery supplies next door and buy fresh house-made tortillas at the bakery in the same strip ( dirt cheap!) .

Deb

Dammit Deb... I have intentionally not been mentioning this place for almost a year. It's been kind of my secret spot and you are right... it's the bomb! I don't undertand how El Tarasco stays open in the same place. But now that Guaca Mole has opened nearby, El Mariachi could probably use all the hype they can get. So go. It's awesome.
PreviousNext