Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Places to eat near Tinseltown .....

by Becky M » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 pm

As some of you all saw that Gary F was offering some passes to Julia and Julie for tomorrow. I was lucky enough to get one. I am going to be going with my younger daughter who loves to cook with me. I want to make it a date and take her to dinner as well.

I am not from the area so do not know of any places to eat near Tinseltown. I know there are a lot of fast food places around there, but that is not what i am going for. I am also on a budget, so i am thinking something in the $8 to $10 range.

This daughter shares my passion for food, so anything is ok.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Places to eat near Tinseltown .....

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 am

annemarie, that is what i thought. all i have seen out there are chains. Of the places you mentioned we have been to chili's and she likes it. But i wanted something more personal. I am figuring we will have to go to one of those places.

You mentioned mexican, which ones are out there?
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 am

My husband and i went to one of the El Nopal restaurants years ago. We did not like it. I am Latina, and the food just was not authentic to me, at all. I have never been to El Tarasco or Fiesta Time, don't know about those.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:05 am

Exactly about americanizing the food. We went to a mexican restaurant a couple of weeks ago. The food was not bad, but it was not mexican. In all honestly it was just glorified Taco Bell. The meat really did taste like Taco Bell meat. That whole experience was ugly, ugh. I am sure you feel the same way about Italian places, if i am wrong here, i apologize and do let me know if i am. I am sure Olive Garden is not original Italian like your mother and grandmother made.

My husband was just telling me today that he was now a Mexican food snob, lol. He asked if that was wrong, and i just said it is not his fault since he has now eaten what real mexican food should taste like.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:06 am

sorry i forgot to thank you for the link......i am checking it out right now.
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 am

i say...have a late lunch and go to this movie on an empty stomach. work up an appetite and drool over all the food you're going to see in the film. then, go to waffle house (surely there's one nearby)and consume obscene amounts of steak, eggs, waffles, and of course THOSE hashbrowns. roll your grinning selves out to the car and drive home. have a huge bowl of blue bell and go sleep like a baby.

that's what i'd do... :oops:

no matter what, nothing beats mom-daughter time. i'm sure even if you have to choke down some chicken fingers at o'charley's you'll be glad you went out together. have fun :)
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 am

Jessie H wrote:i say...have a late lunch and go to this movie on an empty stomach. work up an appetite and drool over all the food you're going to see in the film. then, go to waffle house (surely there's one nearby)and consume obscene amounts of steak, eggs, waffles, and of course THOSE hashbrowns. roll your grinning selves out to the car and drive home. have a huge bowl of blue bell and go sleep like a baby.

that's what i'd do... :oops:

no matter what, nothing beats mom-daughter time. i'm sure even if you have to choke down some chicken fingers at o'charley's you'll be glad you went out together. have fun :)

You know, you might have a point there, about a late lunch and having a late dinner afterwards.

you are also right about the mom-daughter time. i have four, she falls in the middle, not the oldest and not one of the two babies. i know she is going to love this......

As i type this i am remembering her years ago in our first little apartment. Even then she would want to cook with me; she would stand on her yellow Little Tykes chair and stir food on the stove with me, or add salt and stuff......she was sooooo little......3 or 4 yrs old......

jeez.......im choked up.........i kinda like that little brat......
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 am

annemarie m wrote:becky, i agree with you on the mexican food here. when i went, i stopped by a road stand, the lady made the flour tortillas fresh, she poured the batter on a flat pan, and then cooked the meat, added a bit of this and that. oh man was it good. spicy too. the peppers were the real deal. and those empanadas. fresh and tasty. but what i don't understand, why do i see mexican people at these local establishments here eating the food. it's not like it's home made mexican food?

fresh tortillas....that's the real stuff right there. Where i am from, that gauges a place, if the tortillas are fresh.

in all honesty, i would think that Latinos eat at these establishments because there is not much else. I know i can make better Mexican food at home, but sometimes i just want to be served. My husband always says that: You can make this better, why did we come here? and i say, because I did not want to cook that night.
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 am

i always loved, and still do love to cook with my mom and we used to watch the cooking shows on KET together. i remember watching Julia with her back in the day. now, my mom lives on the other side of town and we're both working odd hours these days. it's been like, a few weeks since i've seen her. now, i'm getting all choked up. :cry:

i ought to consider taking mom to see this movie. let me know how you like the film, ok?

(sorry, i have a bad habit of going off topic sometimes)
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 am

Becky M wrote:
fresh tortillas....that's the real stuff right there. Where i am from, that gauges a place, if the tortillas are fresh.

in all honesty, i would think that Latinos eat at these establishments because there is not much else. I know i can make better Mexican food at home, but sometimes i just want to be served. My husband always says that: You can make this better, why did we come here? and i say, because I did not want to cook that night.

Becky

A Mexican restaurant that has fresh tortillas is the Mayan Cafe on East Market. I have seen them making them (and assume they still do). This is Mexican from the Yucatan and I am sure it is quite authentic. The owner is Mayan and returns home for a visit at least once a year.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 am

Hi Becky,

While I have not eaten here, there were two positive mentions of this eatery in the "Favorite Fish Tacos" thread. I think it's an indie.

Re: Favorite Fish Taco in town?

Postby Jeffrey D. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Kyle L wrote:La Perla del Pacifico
2840 Goose Creek Rd

I think it's one of, if not the best, Mexican eateries in the city.

Agree wholeheartedly. Try the crab salad (I don't remember the menu name). It's fabulous. Everything we've had at La Perla has been great.

I believe the owner is from the western state of Sinaloa focusing on dishes from the Oceano Pacifico. As you can see it's close to Tinsel Town on Goose Greek Rd.

Hope you and your daughter have a GREAT time wherever you dine.

Tom

P.S. I was wondering if you ever had the opportunity to try the La Rostia Grill in New Albany I had recommended in an earlier thread? I'd sure value your opinion.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:27 am

Liang's Cafe next to Dick's is a great Chinese indie. They have an authentic menu and a traditional Chinese-American menu. A fine place that gets overlooked quite a bit. They are just a few steps from the movie theater.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 am

Liang's Chinese is local and quite good. It's just around the corner from Tinseltown. Back at the corner of Westport and Hurstbourne, just a few blocks west, there's Boombozz Pizza and Vino. And you could go out to Norton Commons for Karem's. Or for that matter, Corbett's, although it's an experience in itself - I'm not sure I would combine it with a movie. :)
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 am

Tony Boombozz (Local and Close)
2813 N Hurstbourne Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40223
Just south of Westport Road on Hurstbourne Pkwy
(502)394-0000

Less than 5 minutes away from Tinseltown. 1.5 Miles away.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 am

Ill throw in another vote for La Perela del Pacifico(SP?). I just went for the first time recently and was quite pleased with food. They are pretty heavy on the seafood,but I ended up going with tacos. The tacos are not on the menu(I was there at lunch) but they made me a nice assortment to go...pastor,chorizo,barbacoa,asada etc... One review I read priced them at 1.30,they charged me 2.50 but they were good sized. Im going back for one of the octopus dishes next time.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
Next