Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

Re: Coco Loco Caribbean Café

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Had a great lunch there today. Really nicely done interior, beautiful bar, spacious, warm, calm colors. They spent some money on this place.

Had the Lomo Saltado, described as "Sauteed 6 oz. beef with onions and tomatoes in a soy sauce...," which doesn't do justice to describe the rich, tangy flavors. Delicious. Was served with french fries mixed in, which I didn't care for, but removing the fries left plenty of the good meat and goodies. Served with a rich black bean soup, also good (ask for extra onions).

Good service, provided by Rick, who is rightly proud of what they're doing. Certainly some "Fernando tracks" around the place, so to speak. And while a bit reminiscent of HR and M's, it is a mostly diffent menu. If I was forced to compare, I would say it has food closer to Mojito's with prices closer to Havana Rumba.

I can't wait to go back. This place would be a big hit in the right location. I hope they can attract a loyal following to this location.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:28 pm

This place is the real deal. Right on par with Havana Rumba and Mojito. The place is beautiful and the menu is quite large. There is a good mix of dishes similar to those found at Rumba and Mojito. Prices range from $10 to $13 on the dinner menu; $7 to $10 on the lunch side. Ok selection of beer and a wide range of mixed drinks (20-30). We had the Lechon Adobado - $10, Empanadas De Picadillo - $6, and Boniato (Sweet Potato) Fries - $3. All were absolutely delicious.

We even ran into some guy named Robin Garr. *Edit* - and Mary too.

1850 S Hurstbourne Parkway
Suite 164

502-365-1777

Mon - Thur: 10:00 - 9:30
Fri: 10:00 - 10:00
Sat: 12:00 - 10:00
Sun: 12:00 - 9:00
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:34 pm

JustinHammond wrote:We even ran into some guy named Robin Garr.

And Mary, too! :lol:

Concur in general. We were impressed with food, service and decor. Definitely on par with Havana Rumba, and a similar menu. I think of Mojito as a somewhat different genre with its more multi-national tapas focus, but that's nitpicking. Good addition to the local eats scene.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: Cocos Lokos Caribbean Cuisine

by Charles W. » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:22 pm

I stopped by on a lark today and got takeout. A few thoughts:
* The name is Cocos Lokos
* The place looks great. Very comfortable feel.
* I was surprised how little overlap there is in the menu with Havana Rumba. Good variety on the menu, but don't go looking for Ropa Veija. I like the fact that it is different.
* Their version of congris is outstanding--much better than HR IMHO.
* The Pork on a skewer, Trocitos de Cerda, was very good. I could have used a bit stronger flavor in the marinade, but was very good.
* They forgot the black beans in my jerk chicken, so I can't comment on them. I just love the black beans at HR, so I am looking forward to trying them here.
* Those looking for a replacement for Taste of Jamaica on the jerk chicken . . . you're still waiting. I love jerk chicken. This was skin on leg/thigh. If you would have given me a blind taste test, I don't think I would have recognized it as jerk chicken. Very mild seasoning. I think of jerk chicken as somewhere between a slight bite to pretty spicy. This had no bite at all.
* No Beef Patties on the menu. If there are any decent ones in Louisville, please point me there . . . NOW.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

Re: Cocos Locos Caribbean Café

by Kyle L » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:20 pm

I tried to go there for Lunch, but there was a maintenance issue. Something about a water main break; I know it effected at least two places. Hopefully, they will back up and running soon.
no avatar
User

Rick Moir

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

by Rick Moir » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey everyone I love everyone input and can say Thank you for giving us a chance. As for the water break already fixed and serving as we speak. Come on in and say hi.
no avatar
User

Gina Albert

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm

by Gina Albert » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi. I'm back. :twisted: I know I was rude, but I wanted to get some reaction about the new ethnic restaurant. I'm from Miami, love Caribbean (and Cuban!!) food and miss the variety of good locals there. I love Havana Rumba (not the local -too crowdy- but the food), so I was in Cocos Locos and tried Ceviche del día, lomo saltado, everything OK, service good too and the place is beautiful and comfortable. Drinks are the best, Margarita Swirl is sooo goood, I'm sure it's gonna be better in 2 or 3 months.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:02 pm

I went for lunch today and had one of the sandwiches which was fabulous! The decor, tile floor all looked wonderful. I appreciated the linen on the tables sandalwood tablecloths with chocolate colored napkins, but the linen was mine so I am bias. First time to try the food and it was first rate. I would put it on the same playing field as Havana Rumba. I am glad that the menu is different than Havana Rumba and Mojito's because is give me more exposure to the cuisine of the region.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Kurt R. wrote: sandalwood tablecloths with chocolate colored napkins

Cool! I was going to call them "Cafe au lait" and "black Cuban coffee" ...
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:26 am

We gave Cokos Locos a try last night - very very good. As others have mentioned, the menu and food and different from Havana Rumba, but in the same vein. The space is nice, and pretty large. It wasn't crowded, but there was a moderate crowd for a Thursday night.

We started with the yuca fritters (forgetting actual name) - smashed yuca filled with ham and cheese, breaded and fried. The plate with drizzled with some kind of mustard and some kind of red, peppery sauce. We loved them.

We had the lomo saltado for our meal - Jeffrey's description above is good (though we liked the fries mixed in, and they were very good fries). The meat was very tender, and the onions sauteed perfectly. The black beans were among the better I've had in awhile.

Add in a pitcher of mojitos (which we couldn't come close to finishing!) and 20% tip solid service, for a $53.00 meal.

*Note on drinks - order pitchers if you plan to have more than one. Most of the mixed drinks are in the $8 range, and based on our observation are served in the same glasses that the pitchers are poured into - not very large. The pitchers, on the other hand, are $25.00, and I'm betting you could easily get 10 pours out of one pitcher - they're huge. The mojitos were very good, though not overly strong.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Previous