Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

It's All Greek to Me, carryout only, opening on Frankfort

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:20 pm

"It's All Greek to Me," a carry-out and delivery operation described in a PR release as "an authentic Greek carry-out deli and culinary training center," will open July 19 at 2716 Frankfort Avenue, next door to Heine Bros. Coffee, the space vacated by The Wine Rack when the wine shop moved to larger quarters one block west last month.

The restaurant will be operated by Maria Bell, who owned a popular Greek restaurant in Radcliff, Ky., for some time before trying two short-lived iterations of her Greek Paradise restaurant in Butchertown and Clifton before returning to Radcliff to open Gyros Express in the Fort Knox-area town.

It will also offer free delivery within a five-mile radius and custom catering with 24 hours' notice.

Carryout items will include spanikopita, spanakotiropita, eggplant dip, souvlaki, gyros, toubuli, falafel, Greek salad, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed grape leaves, soutzukakia smirneika. keftedas, roasted red pepper dip, parsley salad, moussaka, pastitsio, saganoki opa and daily specials. To the best of my knowledge there's no kitchen facility on the premises, suggesting that dishes will be brought in from Radcliff or other location.

The first Greek cooking class is scheduled for Saturday, July 25, from 4-5:30 p.m., with a Vegetarian/Vegan cooking class from 5:45-7:15 p.m. that same day.

Bell will also offer periodic culinary tours of Greece, the first tentatively scheduled for summer 2010.

Bell will continue to own and operate Gyros Express - http://gyrosexpress.com - in Radcliff.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: It's All Greek to Me, carryout only, opening on Frankfort

by GaryF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am

Free delivery- a concept I encourage more places to embrace.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 am

GaryF wrote:Free delivery- a concept I encourage more places to embrace.

I'm trying to keep an open mind until we see how it works out ...
no avatar
User

Ryane Norris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am

by Ryane Norris » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:15 am

Finally a place in Louisville is going to have Saganaki!!! I'm pumped!
Although i did end up finding the right cheese for it at Valu Market and made at least a comparable version of it at home!
no avatar
User

Lisa W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 pm

by Lisa W » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:35 am

We are always looking for a place here in Louisville to get saganoki. I hope this greek restaurant will get the traffic so they can stay open unlike our previous greek restaurants. GOOD LUCK TO IT'S ALL GREEK TO ME, WE WISH YOU WELL AND I'LL BE THERE, THANKS.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
GaryF wrote:Free delivery- a concept I encourage more places to embrace.

I'm trying to keep an open mind until we see how it works out ...

Yeah, there are gobs of businesses/residences within a 5 mile radius. I'm guessing that delivery will be the most popular option. Hopefully they will be able to manage it all!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 am

MarieP wrote:Yeah, there are gobs of businesses/residences within a 5 mile radius. I'm guessing that delivery will be the most popular option. Hopefully they will be able to manage it all!

I hope so too, Marie. I wish them nothing but well. However, I can't help but be conscious of the two previous failures, which as best I could tell related to both food quality and service. We'll see, and I hope for the best.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:16 am

I think Maria's problems started when she lost her help. Her brother moved, her daughter went off to college and Maria tried to everything all by herself. And I mean everything. We went in for lunch one day, years ago when she was still here in Louisville and she was the sole cook, waitress and bottle washer. That tough to do. Perhaps now with more help and a little more financial backing she'll do well again. We really loved the Greek Paradise Cafe when it was originally off Melwood.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 am

Does anybody have a opinion on the gyros at gyrosexpress? I see from their website they offer lamb gyros as opposed to the various mixed meat products often served up at other places. A place that uses real lamb seems to be a bit of a rarity. Dont get me wrong,I enjoy the "kone" cut gyros as much as the next guy,but real lamb off the spit is hard to beat.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:24 am

Robin Garr wrote:.Bell will continue to own and operate Gyros Express - http://gyrosexpress.com - in Radcliff.

This link didnt work for me. I got there by google.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 am

What she offers in Radcliff is good. Unfortunately, what she offers is shrinking in numbers. It's gone to having gyros, hot dogs, baklava, fried appetizers, and other sandwiches. NO grape leaves,no kebabs, etc. You have to special order those things 24hrs in advance now with minimums. I'm afraid the store in Radcliff is becoming more and more Americanized food, less Greek.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 am

I agree 100 percent with your analysis, Carla. Things went downhill fast as soon as her brother and daughter left town. We loved her original place in Radcliff and were among the crowd who begged them to come to Louisville. (I also think the size of the Mellwood location - they did use the larger back room as well as the front - represented a significant scaling up in size that may have also been an issue.)

Anyway, all this blather aside, I'm open-minded, and we're looking forward to trying it. I do wonder if the food is going to be trucked up pre-made from Radcliff, though, and how they're going to handle that. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been time (or a sufficient level of activity) to install a restaurant kitchen in the old Wine Rack.

carla griffin wrote:I think Maria's problems started when she lost her help. Her brother moved, her daughter went off to college and Maria tried to everything all by herself. And I mean everything. We went in for lunch one day, years ago when she was still here in Louisville and she was the sole cook, waitress and bottle washer. That tough to do. Perhaps now with more help and a little more financial backing she'll do well again. We really loved the Greek Paradise Cafe when it was originally off Melwood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 am

John Hagan wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:.Bell will continue to own and operate Gyros Express - http://gyrosexpress.com - in Radcliff.

This link didnt work for me. I got there by google.

The server may be down, as it did work the other day. Right now I can't get there either, even through Google.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:11 am

Looks like they opened yesterday. Did anybody check it out yet?
http://mariasgreekkitchen.com/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:37 pm

John Hagan wrote:Looks like they opened yesterday. Did anybody check it out yet?
http://mariasgreekkitchen.com/

They've actually been open about a week. I thought I posted something on it. Most of the goods are served cold in tubs, but it appears that the gyros materials are brought up from Radcliff and assembled (and the meat heated - maybe microwaved? - in a back room. It was okay, not the best gyros I've ever eaten, nor the worst. Suffered mostly from the meat getting a little dried out.
Next