Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Barbeque place in Frankfort, KY

no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Barbeque place in Frankfort, KY

by Carol C » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:00 pm

A friend emailed me this morning about a barbeque place in Frankfort that is known for its burgoo. She had seen a piece on KET about the place but didn't write down the name. We are going to Frankfort next week for a reunion and thought we would like to bring some back. Does anyone know what the name might be? I've searched but to no avail. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Barbeque place in Frankfort, KY

by Leann C » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:13 pm

I was thinking that it might be the White Light Diner, but I didn't see burgoo on the online menu.

http://www.whitelightdiner.com/
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I've never heard of Capital BBQ. It could be Scotty's Pink Pig, but I don't remember if they had a burgoo or not, and they recently went out of business anyway. You might be thinking of the 610 BBQ and Burgoo Team, owned by Russ Kennedy and his family. They mostly catered outdoor events while we lived there, but they could possibly have gotten a storefront after we moved.

http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/4430750

I don't think Rick does a burgoo at the White Light, but his pulled pork is the bomb.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Capital BBQ was great but I believe they closed 10 years ago or better, unless someone took the name or reopened it. Scotty's Pink Pig is also no longer so Frankfort is a BBQ-free zone as far as I know.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Daniel Raines wrote: Scotty's Pink Pig is also no longer

<sob!>

I loved that place ... ate there several times a week when covering the legislature for the old Louisville Times.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 pm

We always used to get pies from the Pink Pig at work functions... really miss those.

Rick's is a fun place. He's quite a character...
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:46 pm

This was on the KET site- but no names...

Delicious documentary highlights classic Kentucky dish
For Release: 2008-06-02 10:06:00

In 2001 and 2002 a group of folklorists, Southern foods author John Egerton and producer Stan Woodward hit the road to research the tradition of burgoo-making as a folk heritage “foodway” unique to Kentucky. The result is Burgoo! Legendary Stew of the South, airing Wednesday, June 18 at 9/8 p.m. CT on KET1 and Monday, June 23 at 9/8 p.m. CT on KET2.

Burgoo is considered by the Kentucky Arts Commission to be a folk heritage tradition with deep roots in the history and culture of Kentucky. At each Kentucky Folklife Festival in Frankfort, for example, a burgoo-master and cooking team is selected to cook this one-pot meal. The burgoo is served as folks gather around the kettle to talk about the traditional stew.

Burgoo! travels from the southern Tennessee border through Central Kentucky and visits Catholic parishes in Western Kentucky. Tracing historical roots back to early settlement of the American frontier, the program captures stories about burgoo-making in family traditions, church traditions and commercial restaurant traditions that combine together in ways that uniquely identify burgoo with the people of Kentucky.

Burgoo! Legendary Stew of the South is produced by Stan Woodward. More information about KET programming and education services, as well as how to support KET, can be found at http://www.ket.org.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks to all who replied. Deb, I do remember seeing that documentary on KET but wasn't watching for a specific reference. I am going to tape it so we can watch it again. Will let everyone know if we make any great discoveries in Frankfort next weekend! Again, thanks.