Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Place for dinner on Christmas

no avatar
User

Patrick McB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

Place for dinner on Christmas

by Patrick McB » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:44 pm

I have a friend who comes in for Christmas each year. Over the years it has become increasingly difficult for me to find a nice place that is open Christmas evening (not brunch). Several years ago, The Brown Hotel, had a wonderful dinner. When that became unavailable, we moved to Furlongs on Frankfort. Also very nice. Sweet Peas continued to have a dinner buffet at the former Furlongs site but not nearly as good.

Bottom-line, is anyone aware of what places might be available for a nice dinner (with bar service available) on Christmas night?
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Place for dinner on Christmas

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:48 pm

My buddy's family goes to Sake Blue each year for sushi.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

Generally speaking, if you're not wedded to tradition, Asian places are fun on Christmas and are almost invariably open when everything else is closed. We often go to Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas afternoon and may well do it again this year.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Generally speaking, if you're not wedded to tradition, Asian places are fun on Christmas and are almost invariably open when everything else is closed. We often go to Vietnam Kitchen on Christmas afternoon and may well do it again this year.

...I'm reminded of the movie, "A Christmas Story", when the family winds up in the Chinese restaurant on Christmas with Peking Duck instead of turkey...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Ooooo. VK on Christmas afternoon....perhaps a new tradition in my family....although we're usually too full from brunch to eat anything until dinner.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

by NDDuncan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm not sure about Christmas Day, but you can always call Sakura Blue 897-3600.
We've been eating there on Christmas Eve since they were Bonzai! Over 11 years,
I think - and they take reservations!! We love it, especially the kids - they got
my 12 year old hooked on sushi when she was 7. When she was an infant, just starting on
"table food", they scrambled eggs for her at the grill. It's one of our favorite
Christmas traditions... :D
Nancy Duncan