Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: Something old, something new ... sort of

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:06 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes.com

This week let's make quick visits to a couple of St. Matthews-area eateries where you can fill the tank for a reasonable price and go away satisfied.

Shady Lane Café, a homey storefront nook in Brownsboro Center, qualifies as "old," sort of, by local restaurant standards: Owners and cooks William and Susi Smith have been doing business in this location going on two years now, and they've built a following the old-fashioned way, earning loyalty through a savvy combination of high-quality, down-home fare at a price that's right, even when there's not a recession going on.

Sage Indian makes the grade as "new," sort of: It arrived last month in the quarters vacated by the amiable but short-lived Royal India, which put up the shutters well under a year after it opened last winter.

Sage Indian: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Not much has changed at Sage Indian except, apparently, the management and the sign. Even the telephone number remained.

A few Southern Indian delicacies like dosas and iddlies have disappeared from the menu. That's a distinct disappointment for me, as I love the less familiar flavors of India's Deep South. But the rest of the menu - with its standard Northern Indian dishes - doesn't seem to have changed much at all.

The front room has been equipped with a large, well-stocked bar, giving weight to the subsidiary clause in Sage's title, "restaurant & bar." The once-bright lighting has gone dusky, but it's not so much a romantic dim as an apparent effort to save a few dimes by plugging in 40-watt bulbs. And, although service is certainly correct and formal, we miss the lovable, amiable nature of the former proprietors.

Read the complete report in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.

Sage Indian Restaurant & Bar
4123 Oechsli Ave.
896-0025
Robin Garr's rating: 72 points
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Re: LEO/LHB: Something old, something new ... sort of

by Heather Y » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm

I am hoping to get over there and try some of their dishes.. Their menu is huge at first glance. I liked the food at the former place too.

Was helping a guest out to the car with a giant carry out order, and this guy comes out of nowhere, and proceeds to hand us menus, and rattles off his info about the new Indian restaurant that opened up. It took me a few minutes to find the address on the menu, and recall where it is. I am still undecided if being a neighbor of Havana Rumba is problematic or not.(thoughts?) I love Indian food, and I hope they do well.