Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurant for Thanksgiving

no avatar
User

Ann Hoskins Brown

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Restaurant for Thanksgiving

by Ann Hoskins Brown » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 pm

We're going to be visiting my mother in Louisville this Thanksgiving and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants where we could get a fairly traditional Thanksgiving dinner. She took a bad fall not too long ago and while she's walking again, steps are rough and it will be important to have a place that is somewhat accessible. Not outrageously expensive and fairly convenient to St. Matthews would both be bonuses. She wants to go to the Bristol the day after Thanksgiving (not sure why, but she seems set on that) so that's not an option

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Restaurant for Thanksgiving

by Doogy R » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Ann Hoskins Brown wrote:We're going to be visiting my mother in Louisville this Thanksgiving and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants where we could get a fairly traditional Thanksgiving dinner. She took a bad fall not too long ago and while she's walking again, steps are rough and it will be important to have a place that is somewhat accessible. Not outrageously expensive and fairly convenient to St. Matthews would both be bonuses. She wants to go to the Bristol the day after Thanksgiving (not sure why, but she seems set on that) so that's not an option

My family and I have been enjoying the Captain's Quarter Thanksgiving buffet for years. They normally have a huge bread table, a salad and cheese table, a dessert table with 7-8 selections, turkey, ham, salmon, roast beef and a myriad selection of traditional sides.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Corey Watson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

by Corey Watson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Kroger's does Thanksgiving meals you can have them cook everything for you, and you can enjoy it at home instead of getting out.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Check upcoming issues of the C-J's Saturday "Scene" (probably available on-line, as well).....their dining section typically contains many ads for restaurants offering Thanksgiving service....

....if Mom likes the ponies, Churchill Downs has hosted a Thanksgiving buffet for many years that supposedly is very popular (I know people who go there year after year)....and they have elevator and escalator service to the upstairs levels....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ann Hoskins Brown

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Ann Hoskins Brown » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:48 am

All three of those sound like great options. Couple more questions...

1) Does Kroger's deliver? We don't get in until Thanksgiving Day and for everyone's sake I want to keep mom out of her car as long as possible! (She's 87)

2) I don't think I've ever eaten indoors at the Captain's Quarters -- what's it like? And how's their pricing?

3) Is the food any good at the Downs? We are all horse fans and Mom loves going to the breakfast at the Downs events around the Derby. I don't think I've had anything beyond junk food there.

Scene sounds like a good idea, but I don't know that the same ads would show up online. But maybe...

Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 am

Ann Hoskins Brown wrote:All three of those sound like great options. Couple more questions...

2) I don't think I've ever eaten indoors at the Captain's Quarters -- what's it like? And how's their pricing?

Thanks again.

The inside dining at Captain's Quarteris is very nice and I am almost positive they have seating that would be to your mom's liking. The pricing is something I do not precisely remember, but I know is quite favorable when compared to other restaurants offering an expanded buffet that day. I am sure a quick call to CQ will get all your questions answered very quickly.

This photo gallery shows the Lodge, where the buffet is held. Some of the pix actually show how they set up that dining room for a buffet. I just love the views of the creek and river. http://www.cqriverside.com/gallery_lodge.htm

Wherever you decide to go, have a great Thanksgiving Day. Actually, a great Thanksgiving Day to all forumites.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ann Hoskins Brown

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Ann Hoskins Brown » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Churchill Downs is pretty pricey... just under $50 a head for the adults. I did hear back from CQ... much more reasonable at about $22 for the adults. I think we'll be headed there.

Thanks again!

Ann
no avatar
User

Trish Jackson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am

by Trish Jackson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Jarfi's at Glenmary is offering a flying turkey dinner!

Dinner for eight will include
Whole turkey 20-22 lbs.
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Green beans
Candied yams
Mixed green salad with two dressings
Loaf of focaccia bread
Pecan pie
Pumkin pie
Everything is hot and ready to serve !!!

Schedule a pick up time and then simply drive up to Jarfi's at Glenmary and watch are staff fly your dinner right to your car

$135 pre paid
Pick up on Thanksgiving Day 10 - 2 p.m.
Reserve today!!! 502-239-3500 ext. 2
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Ann Hoskins Brown wrote:We're going to be visiting my mother in Louisville this Thanksgiving and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants where we could get a fairly traditional Thanksgiving dinner. She took a bad fall not too long ago and while she's walking again, steps are rough and it will be important to have a place that is somewhat accessible. Not outrageously expensive and fairly convenient to St. Matthews would both be bonuses. She wants to go to the Bristol the day after Thanksgiving (not sure why, but she seems set on that) so that's not an option

J Harrods in Prospect .. Upper River Rd .. has a Thanksgiving buffet. Reasonable price .. less than 20.00. No steps.

Bristol on Bardstown Rd has some steps as soon as you come in the restaurant.
Bristol on Hurstbourne has no steps.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Claudia D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 pm

by Claudia D » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Hello all,
I wanted to let you know that Cake Flour will be open on Thanksgiving Day (until noon) if people want to pick up some treats to take home or to share with others. We will be taking orders for Thanksgiving Day specialty items (to be anounced soon).

Please feel free to stop by or call us. http://www.cakeflouronmarket.com/
This post was aproved by R.Garr.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Bumping this back up........

Does anyone have any further suggestions/Recommendations?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Someone asked if the food at the Downs on Thanksgiving is any good. We went last year, and it is pretty good. It's standard fare, with the exception of the spicy BBQ shrimp, which I absolutely love! However, they started sending out confirmations for seating this summer! So at this late date, it's likely you are going to end up in one of the big open areas like the common area in the Jockey Club Suites. While that's not so bad - it's where we sat last year - I do remember that the tables were very close together, and getting to our table was not particularly easy. So, if your mother has a hard time getting around, the seating that remains now may not be an option.
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm

My family did Thanksgiving at the Downs a couple years ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed the food. It was a great atmosphere. Definitely not the cheapest option, but fun for a treat. I'd recommend it.