Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Calistoga Artsan Sandwich

by Fred Kunz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:29 pm

I saw a sign off Dutchman's Lane across from Wild Egg's I forgot what the name of the Chinese Restaurant was that was there
With the name Calistoga Artisan Sandwich
Anyone know anything about it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Calistoga Artsan Sandwich

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Fred Kunz wrote:I saw a sign off Dutchman's Lane across from Wild Egg's I forgot what the name of the Chinese Restaurant was that was there
With the name Calistoga Artisan Sandwich
Anyone know anything about it?

Fred, it's a new chain concept being developed by "Papa" John Schnatter, as I recall. (Was Chinatown Buffet in that location.)
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Um,... okay.... Usually not one to knock a thing or concept if I don't know anything about it, but what the heck is an "artisan sandwich"? On the face of it, it sounds suspiciously like someone trying to capitalize on the term "artisan" by attaching it to a thing that can't even in the loosest sense be artisan. And for me that's a big "ugh."
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

They're also putting one in the new U of L medical office building at Preston and Chestnut.

Look like some expensive interiors.
David O.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:53 pm

I looked at their website. Seems like it will be similar to Panera.
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:09 am

The Dupont location is very close to opening. The build out looks great! Will be a real destination point for local foodies.
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Wow! Patrick don't forget about us little guys.... we have accounts with some of the doctor's offices over there in the Dupont Area. I hope they will keep coming to us for Meridian menu items and Java coffee when the big guy gets there! .

Sorry, it just came out.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 am

Heather Y wrote:Wow! Patrick don't forget about us little guys.... we have accounts with some of the doctor's offices over there in the Dupont Area. I hope they will keep coming to us for Meridian menu items and Java coffee when the big guy gets there! .

Sorry, it just came out.

Keep it local, keep it quality, Heather - as we know you will - and you'll have no worries from The Chain Man.
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Heather Y wrote:Wow! Patrick don't forget about us little guys.... we have accounts with some of the doctor's offices over there in the Dupont Area. I hope they will keep coming to us for Meridian menu items and Java coffee when the big guy gets there! .

Sorry, it just came out.

Don't worry Heather, you know there is a special place in our hearts (and stomachs) for everything Meridian and this new place will be a truck stop off I-264 before I am a regular.
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm sorry..but I'm really excited about it opening. I've worked at suburban for over 6 yrs and frankly, it's nice to have something new within a few min. walking dist. I don't always have time to get in the car and drive to non chain places, and frankly there aren't that many places that deliver! It's not that I don't want to eat "non chain" but good lord, after so many Jimmy Johns and cafeteria meals you can only take so much.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Megan Watts wrote:I'm sorry..but I'm really excited about it opening. I've worked at suburban for over 6 yrs and frankly, it's nice to have something new within a few min. walking dist. I don't always have time to get in the car and drive to non chain places, and frankly there aren't that many places that deliver! It's not that I don't want to eat "non chain" but good lord, after so many Jimmy Johns and cafeteria meals you can only take so much.

I don't want to sound discouraging but, I'm not sure I'd get too excited by a sandwich shop owned by the same guy who owns a chain that makes the worst pizza in town! :oops:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 am

Hey gang... John Schnatter and the companies he is a part of would be, by definition, local. This is only the 4th and 5th stores in this "chain" and he bought into it, he didn't start it himself. It was a local chain in Florida and John is taking it national, starting here.

I'm not saying it's going to be good, I'm just saying how about we reserve judgement and ridicule until the place actually opens and someone tries it.

My favorite thing about this board... if this was some one off by a single person, you'd all be falling over yourselves to say how wonderful and exciting this is. Robin would be giving us his "support your local businesses" speech and everyone would rush over the day it opened.

Because it's a small chain run by a very wealthy local business man (who, I admit, has a history of making bad - but very popular - pizza) we get admonishments to not go there and general distain.

Do you support local business or not? Or is it just small local business? What about small business in other cities? Should I support a single proprietor restaurant based in Cincy or Indy over a chain based in Louisville? Buy local? Buy small? Both? It's just all so confusing.

Having said that, as one who love good food (I refuse to call myself a "foodie" because really, is there a dumber word on the planet?) I'm not super excited about a Panera clone, if that's what this is. Regardless of who owns it or where it is based.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 am

Chris, you make good points, as always, and I won't get into an argument over it.

I would note, however, if I'm paraphrasing you correctly, that Papa John's does give us a good fix on Schnatter's business model; and Panera is not exactly a lofty goal to shoot for.

I would also add that giant corporate chains may be commercially local in that they have their HQ here - Yum! does, too, remember - but that doesn't make their individual properties indies. To me, the real test of quality in a chain is the degree to which the quarterly balance sheet overrides quality; local decision-making authority by management is also key.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 am

Heather,
I totally agree with Robin. Keep it quality and keep it local and you will be totally fine.

Chris,
Great post and I think you hit the nail on the head.

Megan,
There are not a ton of options at all over there. Papa saw a need and is filling that need. If a "local" pitched a tent there and put out food at the Panera level, as Chris said, people would be falling over themselves to get there. As long as this new place hits the Panera level (not saying it's a high level), it should be fine judging by how crowded Paneras are. It's funny because I work in the Aegon Building downtown and we had a local open in the bottom floor. It was called "Metro Deli." It stayed open for about a whole unspectacular year. If it only put out food at the Panera level, I think it would have done well. But look whats going in now, a Panera.

To all in the Industry,
Keep putting out quality fare with caring service and things will be OK.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:16 am

Sometimes you just want a sandwich for lunch without having to consider all the political and sociological ramifications of your decision. Sometimes you just want to eat because you are hungry and even taste takes a back seat.

Great points by everyone.
Next