Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ferd Grisanti's closed?

no avatar
User

CRettig

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Jeffersontown, KY

Ferd Grisanti's closed?

by CRettig » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:32 pm

Anyone know if this is permanent, and if so, why?

IMHO, the best cheesecake I've had in this town.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ferd Grisanti's closed?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:38 pm

C, welcome to the forum, although I regret that your initial post brings sad news. I'm not aware of Ferd Grisanti's status - is it possible that they're taking a summer vacation? It has been under new management for the past several months, but it would be a shame to see it go under.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Heard from a pretty good source that they are in fact closed. The owner did his best to create hype and offer good specials...hopefully someone will purchase and keep it Ferd
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:24 pm

I just called the phone number on their website, 267-0050, and got the message that the number has been disconnected. So sad. When my out of town family visits this is one place they love going to. In fact, we went there last year right before Christmas and had a wonderful meal.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 pm

That's sad! I knew a server there and she was telling me how slammed they were at Derby time!
no avatar
User

CRettig

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Jeffersontown, KY

by CRettig » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:22 am

Robin Garr wrote:C, welcome to the forum, although I regret that your initial post brings sad news. I'm not aware of Ferd Grisanti's status - is it possible that they're taking a summer vacation? It has been under new management for the past several months, but it would be a shame to see it go under.

A sign on the door says "We are closed to the public as of June 8, 2008. We thank you for your patronage..." etc., so I'm assuming permanently.

They just seemed to be busy every time I was there (although I hadn't gone at all in the last few months). To answer others, yes, the phone number gives a "disconnected" notice. If you send an e-mail, you get a "mailbox full -- message not delivered" response.

I'm just saddened.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:37 am

I waited on the owner last Wednesday and he informed me that they were closed for good. He mentioned that people started requesting a lot of half orders of inexpensive items and that he was just unable to make a profit (if I understood him correctly). I asked if he had any future plans for a new restaurant and he seemed unsure.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:19 am

This blasted economy is putting the squeeze on all of us! Very troubling to see an institution like Ferd's go out. :(
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Or could it be that people just went eleswhere that they liked better.... It is a tough economy you are right...but if you offer what the people like you will make it...because they will come back and tell there friends....When we lived in J town back in the early 90s...We had dinner there a few times and while it was good it was nothing that would bring us back for the amont of money we spent...Thats just a fact of life. Not only does the food have to be good the bill has to be affordable to the guest also...and it does not look like it is going to get any better in the near future...
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:02 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Or could it be that people just went eleswhere that they liked better.... It is a tough economy you are right...but if you offer what the people like you will make it...because they will come back and tell there friends....When we lived in J town back in the early 90s...We had dinner there a few times and while it was good it was nothing that would bring us back for the amont of money we spent...Thats just a fact of life. Not only does the food have to be good the bill has to be affordable to the guest also...and it does not look like it is going to get any better in the near future...
Yes Robert! And now you can go to the chain of your choice, get your generic well done steak, and sleep easy knowing that the little guy's lost and you're mega chains have won again! .....hat's off for progress......!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:30 pm

David Clancy wrote:
robert szappanos wrote:Or could it be that people just went eleswhere that they liked better.... It is a tough economy you are right...but if you offer what the people like you will make it...because they will come back and tell there friends....When we lived in J town back in the early 90s...We had dinner there a few times and while it was good it was nothing that would bring us back for the amont of money we spent...Thats just a fact of life. Not only does the food have to be good the bill has to be affordable to the guest also...and it does not look like it is going to get any better in the near future...
Yes Robert! And now you can go to the chain of your choice, get your generic well done steak, and sleep easy knowing that the little guy's lost and you're mega chains have won again! .....hat's off for progress......!!
Sorry...just kinda got lost in the moment....back to work!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm

You never, ever let up, do you? You never hesitate to champion the lowest common denominator and practically celebrate the failure of small businesses. I realize that by responding I'm giving you the attention you crave, but I can't help it.

And is it asking too much for an adult to know the difference between there, their and they're?!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Well i did I ended up at LongHorns near the Summit....had to wait about 40 minutes...but I did and had a very good bone in ribeye.... :)
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Hey Todd read my post under the about Louisville about spelling....
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Frankly I was always surprised Ferd's hung on as long as it did. I have not had a meal there for several years, but my recollection is that the food was nothing special. The honest truth is that to compete with a chain you have to be better in terms of what you serve....that's the bottem line. My last meal at Ferd's was not as good as "take-your-pick" Hurstborne Lane Italian food. Too bad because J-town needs good indy restaurants!
Next