Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Dakshin Indian Restaurant Coming Soon

by Robert Carnighan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 pm

There is a new sign in a storefront window in the Eastland Shopping Center (Breckenridge Lane and Bardstown Road): Dakshin Indian Restaurant Coming Soon.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Re: Dakshin Indian Restaurant Coming Soon

by Amy A » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Louisville has gone from having just a couple of choices to almost oversaturation in the market. I hope there is enough supply and demand for Indian cuisine to keep the places open busy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote:There is a new sign in a storefront window in the Eastland Shopping Center (Breckenridge Lane and Bardstown Road): Dakshin Indian Restaurant Coming Soon.

Hey, right behind the Gordita Trailer!
no avatar
User

SeanS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Fern Creek

by SeanS » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Robert Carnighan wrote:There is a new sign in a storefront window in the Eastland Shopping Center (Breckenridge Lane and Bardstown Road): Dakshin Indian Restaurant Coming Soon.

Hey, right behind the Gordita Trailer!

Thanks, Robin, for pointing that out (for whatever reason, I completely didn't put 2+2 together)! Man, an Indian joint close to home... now I won't have to drive clear across the city when the wife gets a craving. :wink:

Between Las Gorditas and Dakshin, I might save a little gas.
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Dakshin opened today. There will be serving lunch and dinner with a buffet seven days a week. The name translates as "south." While their main focus will be on dishes from southern India, they plan to have dishes from all other parts as well. Didn't eat there today, but it sure did smell good.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote: There will be serving lunch and dinner with a buffet seven days a week.

An Indian Dinner Buffet!!!!!!! I am SO THERE.........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Dakshin is run by the same family that runs Bombay Grocery and Hometown Liquor at Bardstown and Bonnycastle, and Kashmir.

The younger guy that splits his time behind the counter at Bombay and Hometown will be running it, at least according to what he told me a few weeks ago.

Most of the Indian restaurants in town are north Indian cuisine. South Indian cuisine, such as that from Kerala, is VERY different and very very good. From my experience as friends with a number of south Indian families, the dishes tend to use more seafood and have less heavy, cream-based sauces.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:54 pm

My wife and I went there this afternoon. It was only their second day open. There must have been about 40 people in and out during our 30 minute stay--all Indian except for us (what an awesome ambiance)! The place actually has a delightfully rustic decor to it, a feel that seemed quite warm for a strip mall location. The buffet food ($7.99) was a bit spicier (but not hot) than the usual fare in town. Like at Bombay Grill, they serve you a fresh dhosa at your table. We were very pleased and will surely go back. They have an extensive menu in the evenings with many items I am not familiar with (that's a good sign). It seems that the South Bardstown Rd. food scene is finally coming of age (Dakshin, Saki Blue, Mexican food stand). Keep bringing them on--how about a good Thai restaurant!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Dale and I ate there today, what a treat! You walk into a sort of an unfinished anteroom, keep going through some other double doors and seat yourself. Lots of dishes I hadn't tried before. The manager was very helpful explaining the buffet items, many of which I was unfamiliar with. Medhu Vada - a fried savory bite size nugget made of Dal and rice. Punjabi Kadi - a spicy bright yellow yogurty dish with pakora. Goat Vindaloo - spicy and wonderful! Samosa - crispy and delish. They had many different chutneys: onion, tamarind, tomato, coconut and mint. Lots of big flat screens with Bollywood videos playing. I don't know what this restaurant was before, obviously something not Indian as there is a canoe over the kitchen and a tiki bar remnant as you walk in, the booths are sort of "kuntry kitchen" but that aside it's definitely worth a trip, although choosing between the Gordita Trailer and this would be tough. They do *not* have a dinner buffet, only lunch, but the menu is extensive, and I mean *huge* and very reasonably priced. This place is a find... :D
no avatar
User

Trina G

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 pm

by Trina G » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:54 pm

When first walking up to the entry, it looked as though the restaurant was small and empty, however, passing through two carved heavy wood doors revealed oasis Dakshin. The walls are covered in weathered bare wood and accented with beautiful framed Indian fabric and three beautiful large glass hanging lamps are a nice focal point. What seemed to be an oddly placed canoe on the wall was later discovered to represent the mode of transportation used on Kerala's many rivers.

Once seated, we were greeted by the manager who asked right off, "How did you find out about this place?" As stated in a previous post, we too were the only non-Indian diners in the place. Since they've done little advertising outside the community, he was surprised the word had already gotten out. It was though we'd stumbled on some sort of underground restaurant-which enticed me further. He was very helpful in discussing menu items and offering suggestions. The menu is extensive but simply lists the names of the dishes. He did share that a menu with descriptions is on the way.

Our mango lassi's ($1.99) arrived alongside a plate containing cool wet towels scented with rose water for cleaning hands and face prior to dinner. The mango lassi's had a robust flavor of fresh mango. The badam milk ($2.99) was a nicely flavored "fluffy" (for lack of a better description) almond milk with crushed almond and pistachio on top. The chilli caulifower manchurian ($4.99) was great. It is a battered and fried cauliflower dish with a nice sauce offering just the right amount of chilli seasoning heat.

We ordered dal makhani ($7.99) , veg nilgiri korma ($7.99), matter paneer ($7.99) and baby potato manchurian ($7.99) for dinner. All of the entrees were delicious and came with rice (looked as though saffron and bay leaves were used to flavor), mint & tamarind chutney, a mixture of onions, green peppers and cabbage arrived for the naan (we ordered the bread basket [$5.49] that comes with garlic, chilli and spinach naan). The dosai we saw coming from the kitchen looked wonderful but there was no room even for dessert on this visit.

The meal ended with the delivery of fluted bowls filled with warm water and a slice of lime to clean your hands. The check totaled approximately $52 and was delivered in a dish containing three bowls of after dinner treats Indian-syle. Two bowls had candy coated fennel, one of which had a wonderfully floral rose flavor, and the third bowl was filled with green cardamom pods (I wasn't so brave to try a plain pod-maybe next time).

The service was a little slow but the plasma TV's offered lively Indian dance music, on what looked like an Indian version of MTV only with more music videos and no drunken debauchery, that helped to pass the time. We'll definitely go back again and I recommend you go before this avant garde Indian restaurant crosses over to main stream. There is something very special about being a "fish out of water" on occassion.

P.S. After dinner we walked three doors down to an awesome Indian grocery-Subzi Mandi. If you are ever in need of ANY Indian ingredient this place is gauranteed to have what you need.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:49 pm

I went for lunch buffet today and it was very good. If your in the area give them a try.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:35 pm

How do they handle heat requests? No one ever wants to truely believe me that I want it hot.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:16 pm

I am not sure about that, I am sure if you got food to order they could make it hot for you. The buffet was spicy but not too hot. It was good for me.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:01 pm

We had dinner at Dakshin tonight. A very weird decor....what was this place previously? On the other hand, the food was outstanding. We started with really nice crispy samosas....spicey mint chutney. Our meal consisted of nav ratan korma and chicken tika masala along with kema nan. Total bill was $32....add $8 for a tip and you have a great $40 meal. Service was good and the owner came by the table inquiring how we found the place....Hot Bytes of course! There were about 5 tables being served at 7:30....I hope this place can make it because I love their food. We need to try the buffet.

On the way out was tempted to grab a taco at Las Gorditas....alas I was too full. It's gonna be a tough choice with these two great places side by side.
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Back again today for lunch, and the buffet was almost completely different. The helpful waiter said it will change every day and it was really great trying the new stuff, well, new to me...this definitely ain't Shalimar. They had a fish curry that was so good, and some kind of fried potato patty that was absolutely addictive, along with a dish of little new potatoes and onions. My vegetarian friend was pleased with the vegetarian options if you lean that way. They also had a different kind of chicken on the Tandor warm plate, sort of lemony and not red with the normal spice, very yummy. They haven't posted their hours yet, and it was open when we got there around 11:15 but officially they don't open until 11:30 for lunch. I got brave and kicked back a cardamom seed thingee from the after dinner bowl...ok, not a good move...next time skip this...eeeewww. I'll stick to the fennel mix.
Next