Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: Don't eat at the Rainforest Cafe in Nashville

by Charles W. » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:Anyone who doesn't like it can go to you know where, as they are part of the problem.

Ouch. I've never had anything happen to me like your repeated incidents. I'm not buying the innocent victim thing whole. :shock:
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:57 pm

Common courtesy does not include yelling at children.

The Rainforest Cafe was correct to ask you to leave; you were completely out of line. If you have a problem with a child's behavior, it's perfectly acceptable to speak to a parent or to the management. Is is never acceptable for you to yell at a child.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Let me guess, you don't have kids.

Whatever the situation was, I agree with the other poster above that if you said those specific words to my kid (or something else confrontational), I might just lay you out cold. Like you say, people should mind their kids more than some examples have shown in public, but what level does that put you at for yelling at the kids. Manners are for all people to use, not assigned or dictated. I'll just end in nodful agreement with Charles W, I think this story isn't on the level.
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm telling you exactly what happened. Also note this is not my first time at this or any Rainforest Cafe; I've eaten at two in Chicago and one in Baltimore, Kansas City, the two at Disney, and one in Seattle. Obviously, noise does not bother me, so this kid had to go to the extreme. These were not even the worst interactions I have ever had with a kid. One night in 1999, I went to visit a friend who lived in Section-8 housing off Culbertson Avenue in New Albany. I've dealt with any of the kids before, so there was no history between me and them. I noticed them playing by and on the stairs, as I walked up there. I saw this one kid smiling demonically, but thought nothing of it. Four seconds later, the brat decided to ram his fist as far up my jean-covered butt as he could. I turned around, and saw the kid grinning from ear to ear. Let's just say I put the fear of God into that kid; none of those kids ever bothered me again.

As for as intimidation goes, I doubt you would face me if I had to do your job and tell your brat to shut up. I'm 6'4" and not at all skinny. Even in high school I intimidated a former Air Force Lieutenant Colonel who flew bombing missions in the Korean War.

I have always liked their Pastalaya, and Mom likes their Mojo Bones (ribs). You can take home their Mojo spice, and its awesome on various meats. But I'm disgusted with them now.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:53 pm

BC, you are correct that many parents do a poor job keeping their kids in line, and at times it seems that you have been overly victimized by some yougsters behaving poorly. However, when you kick, threaten, and chew out brats, you become the brat. It is totally inappropriate to deal with children in this manner. By no means am I condoning their actions, or their parents' lack of action / discipline, but approaching a child that you do not know in the manner that you have described is just wrong. This is a matter to be taken up with the kids parents or the restaraunt management. Loud ill-behaved kids drive me crazy too, but if and when I have kids, if an adult ever approaches them (no matter their behavior) as you have stated you approched these kids, there will be a big problem. Thanks. DD
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I don't care how tall or not-skinny someone is, if they "do my job and tell my brat / kid to shut up" they would face me. Small children can easily be intimidated, to try and get back on track here...Bedford, why wouldn't you approach the parents before dealing with a child directly? DD
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I don't know you, and based on your pedantic comments/tantrum, I have no interest in so. By all means, please continue to elaborate on your physical characteristics and mannerisms, as well as your prowess in the fine art of intimidating children, we are all very impressed. If you have any other tips on child-rearing I'm sure all of us parents on here would just love to know how we can make our children sit and eat in stony silence when we are in your presence.

Nature (and parents) has a way of looking out for their young, as well as dealing with predators, Goliath.
Last edited by BrianW on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:I doubt you would face me if I had to do your job and tell your brat to shut up. I'm 6'4" and not at all skinny.

Well . . . I'm not skinny at all. So there. :cry:

Actually, I probably couldn't intimidate you or make you do anything. But it's not me you'd have to worry about. The woman who gave them birth, now that's another story.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Dang,I feel safe around here.

I once had a friend, accent on past tense, that attracted unruly children like flies. I always thought they could read the non-verbal "get way from me" looks. Perceptive little people...... :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:18 pm

I really find the attitude of the original poster to be so totally offensive....that I'm wondering if this is a put-on. :roll:
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:23 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I think this is perhaps a joke.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Joke or no joke - if this person were to shout/yell/kick/tell off or otherwise to a kid in MY presence, no matter what the "provocation", he would find out what a 5 foot tall grandma can do. I have "taken down" bigger people than that in my life.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Beth K. wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I think this is perhaps a joke.

Bedford claims to be a "certified genius" on his profile. Now we find he is big and mean and tough with little kids.
He also wrote a glowing article about himself on Wikipedia. Also according to said article he also has no job.

Therefore we have an unemployed genius, who is not smart enough to stay away from kids places, instead of going to big peoples restaurants. Probably is taking his mommy with him because he lives with her and he needs protection.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Therefore we have an unemployed genius, who is not smart enough to stay away from kids places, instead of going to big peoples restaurants. Probably is taking his mommy with him because he lives with her and he needs protection.

So says someone who thinks a corndog is fine cuisine. :roll:

The fact is, there are too many bad parents who want to defend each other rather than actually do their job and actually parent. So sad; no wonder this country is going downhill. :?
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm

This whole thread is so Ignatius J Reilly, I don't know whether to laugh or open my valve.
Last edited by Roger A. Baylor on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
PreviousNext