Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Restaurant Menus

no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Restaurant Menus

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:24 pm

A friend was helping to clean out a house for an estate sale and ran across a trove of old restaurant menus. The owner gave them to her and she gave them to me. I have just gotten around to looking through them. If anyone would like to have a specific one for nostalgia please drop me an email. These are all old.

Beef 'n' Boards Dinner Theatre of Simpsonville presents "Once upon a Mattress"

Schnapps Bar & Grill

The Timbers Restaurant & Fish Market- Sanibel Island, Fl

Mario's Pizza- 23 Locations around the state including Oxmoor

Executuive Inn Rivermont-Room Service- Ribeye Steak $2.95

Tropical Drink Menu from Ala Moana Americana in Waikiki

Union Station Hotel- ?????

The New York Steak Exchange- A Kentucky Company June 1978

Luncheon Menu from Claudia Sanders Dinner House where the most expensive item on the menu was the Vegetable Plate. For $3.65 you got Appetizer, salad, eight vegetables of your choice, hot biscuits, honey and a drink!

The Wine Cellar- North Redington Beach,Fl

Room Service The Sheraton Hartford Hotel

Sammy's Bowery Follies- 267 Bowery New York

The Westin Hotel- Cincinnati

Room Service at The Ala Moana Americana Hawaii

Applegates Landing- Louisville Ky

The King's Wharf-???????

Bll Knapp's- Battle Creek, Mi

Gingerbread Man- Allentown, Pa

101st Airborne Restaurant- Tennessee?

Shillito-Rike's Dining Room- Louisville Ky

The Bubble Room Wine List- Captiva Island, Fl

The Luau Room- Louisville Ky

The Savoy- 727 W Main St Lousville Ky

Take Five- Louisville Ky

The Crow's Nest- Lyndon Ky

Spats- Nashville Tn

The Summit- Waikiki Hawaii

The Windjammer- The Florida Keys?

W.C. Karem's- Oxmoor Center

Victoria Station- Louisville Ky

Island Pizza- Sanibel Island Fl

Nuevo Kentucky Restaurant- 625 Avenida Revolucion Tijuana Mexico

The Cloister Restaurant- Hartford Ct

Rookwood Pottery Food & Drink- Cincy Oh

The Beef Barron- Detroit Mi

The 1st Chi-Chi's menu- Louisville Ky

Joe Z's and Capain Hooks- ???????

The Windmill- Hikes Point Ky

Carrousel Motel Dining Room- Cincy Oh

1965 Hasenour's Restaurant menu- Louisville Ky

Sorry for the long post but it is an interesting stash.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

restaurant menus

by Sonja W » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm

There are several educational organizations that collect restaurant menus for their archives: The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), The Los Angeles Public Library and the New York Public Library, to name a few. It's possible that UofL has a similar archive.

You might consider donating your collection to a place where it would be preserved.

I think it would be an interesting project to write a city history through the lens of its restaurant menus.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Great stuff - thanks for posting it.

The 101st Airborne (I'm pretty sure about this) was in Nashville at the airport. I know I was there sometime in the 80s.

If it's the same Mario's, I cooked pizza in one in Bowling Green in the mid-70s as a 14 year-old.

Executive Inn Rivermont - Owensboro, not Paducah, right?

Anyway, enjoyed the post!
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 pm

A blast from the past - thanks for taking time to type all that, Ed!

Shillito-Rikes Dining Room - Who knew?

The Luau Room: at the old Standiford Field Terminal

Victoria Station: lots of folks here have posted memories of that place (I took a few dates there)

Hasenour's: from 1965? that was its heyday. A Louisville landmark.

101st Airborne: was indeed near the Nashville Airport and closed only recently. Of course it was announced here: 101st Airborne closes
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: restaurant menus

by GaryF » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Sonja W wrote:There are several educational organizations that collect restaurant menus for their archives: The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), The Los Angeles Public Library and the New York Public Library, to name a few. It's possible that UofL has a similar archive.

You might consider donating your collection to a place where it would be preserved.

I think it would be an interesting project to write a city history through the lens of its restaurant menus.

What a great find, Ed. My first thought was the same as Sonya's as I've enjoyed exhibitions of historic menus at both CIA and NYPL - it is so interesting to see how we ate in different times in our history. Does Louisville have an historical society? Seems like that might be a good place to archive the collection.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:05 am

OMG, I miss Bill Knapps!

What a tragedy when that place closed.

I'll pay someone to read to me in a sultry voice about chicken fricasse and ham croquettes.

To think I will never have their au gratin potatoes again. :(

I grew up in Battle Creek and Knapps was very much a part of the town. We always went their for birthdays, it was one of my first serving jobs and my brother's first cooking jobs, and their commisary employed a lot of folks with good paying jobs. I hate that it is gone.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 pm

MichelleS wrote:OMG, I miss Bill Knapps!

What a tragedy when that place closed.

I'll pay someone to read to me in a sultry voice about chicken fricasse and ham croquettes.

To think I will never have their au gratin potatoes again. :(

I grew up in Battle Creek and Knapps was very much a part of the town. We always went their for birthdays, it was one of my first serving jobs and my brother's first cooking jobs, and their commisary employed a lot of folks with good paying jobs. I hate that it is gone.

I was thinking the same.
I grew up in the East Lansing area until i was 8 or so, then spent every summer there prety much until i started working...

Bill Knapps was oftentimes where we had a special family gathering.

ah... nostalgia.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Steve S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Restaurant Menus

by Steve S » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Eleven years ago, I moved from Louisville to San Diego. For those of you unfamiliar with our geography, Tijuana is about 10 miles south of the city. When I moved here, I'd go down to TJ (local for Tijuana) and shop on Avenue Revolucion. There was no Nueva Kentucky Restaurant, but there was a KFC and a few shops in what was called Kentucky Square. I asked one of the shopkeepers (most shopkeepers in TJ speak English) the history of it. He told me that during Prohibition, there was this man from Kentucky who opened a Bourbon distillery down there, which failed. Kentucky Square has since been torn down.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Restaurant Menus

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:37 pm

I lived in Okemos from the time I was 4, until I was 10. Great place. We used to eat at Bill Knapps. I remember it fondly.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"