Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Andalous review

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 am

Andalous takes us on a tasty trip to Morocco
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Quick! Where's Morocco? Can you point to it on a map? Tell us something about its history! What do you know about its culture and cuisine? 
Stumped? Sorry! But if you're not comfortable with these questions, don't feel too bad. You're hardly alone in the geographical illiteracy that researchers say afflicts a majority of Americans, particularly the younger set.

The 2006 Roper Public Affairs-National Geographic Literacy Study found that many Americans can't even locate New York or Iraq on a map. This may shed light on the Bush administration's fabled difficulty in locating Saddam's purported WMDs. It also suggests that a nation that has a hard time zeroing in on the Empire State probably ought to hire a tour guide before heading off to Morocco.

Still, although this California-size kingdom that wraps around Africa's northwestern shoulder may not be a top tourist destination spot for most of us, you'd probably heard of its colorful coastal ports, Tangier and Casablanca. Yes, that Casablanca. I'd be shocked ... shocked ... if that doesn't ring a bell.

What's more, the CIA's World Factbook (one of the spy agency's rare public documents) wants us to know that Morocco is one of the world's largest producers of illicit hashish. They say this as if they think it's a bad thing.

But then there's Moroccan food ... that, for sure, is a very good thing. ... Now we're finally got a good chance to try it! Let's welcome Andalous, which succeeds the short-lived Mexico Viejo as latest tenant in a bright, freshly renovated building on Lower Brownsboro Road - the zone that local wits have lately dubbed "LowBrow").

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/andal ... to-morocco
and in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/andalous-ta ... ip-morocco

Andalous Restaurant
2319 Brownsboro Road
709-4001
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andalous ... 0872101127
Robin Garr's rating: 85 points
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Andalous review

by RonnieD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Oh my, this sounds incredible. And all so close to home! Can't wait to try!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Stopped by yesterday and got the lamb tagine -- very nice. Also of note: it's BYOB, which is pretty great, especially given that there's a liquor store across the street. Will definitely be back.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am

Iggy C wrote:Also of note: it's BYOB, which is pretty great, especially given that there's a liquor store across the street. Will definitely be back.

A restaurant has to have a liquor license in order to allow BYOB, right?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:A restaurant has to have a liquor license in order to allow BYOB, right?

No. A restaurant with a liquor license may NOT allow BYOB. I realize that this sounds stupid, but remember what Dickens said about the law.

A restaurant with no liquor license is in a funny place, as they can't be threatened with loss or suspension of a license they don't have.

That said, BYOB is not permitted on any premises under Kentucky law, and I'd just as soon not see these nice folks penalized if some idiot learns about their generous practice and turns them in. ;)
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:A restaurant has to have a liquor license in order to allow BYOB, right?

No. A restaurant with a liquor license may NOT allow BYOB. I realize that this sounds stupid, but remember what Dickens said about the law.

A restaurant with no liquor license is in a funny place, as they can't be threatened with loss or suspension of a license they don't have.

That said, BYOB is not permitted on any premises under Kentucky law, and I'd just as soon not see these nice folks penalized if some idiot learns about their generous practice and turns them in. ;)

Hmm. I did a little more Googling and found this: http://amateurgastronomer.com/index/byob-kentucky/

Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Any thoughts?

It's an interesting report from an out-of-state blogger having an encounter with bureaucrats. :(

I wouldn't count on it, though. In the real world of actual practice, we've seen a number of local eateries - most recent I can recall being Le Gallo Rosso - forced by ABC to cease and desist allowing BYO because the state's laws don't permit it. Curiously, this is not a matter of puritanism. It's a matter of special-interest legislation fostered by the restaurant industry and liquor wholesalers. :evil:
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

I was so excited about learning of this restaurant that I had to post! I've been saying for years that our beautiful city has restaurants representing cuisine from around the world, but sadly, no Moroccan. (Or true Greek. Makes no sense). Our fridge is filled with this week's menu, but we'll be there very soon!! Very happy!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:24 pm

We had a late lunch/early dinner here today and I'm already looking forward to our next trip. We started with the baba ganoush, lovely charred flavor. I had the delicious green bean tagine, J had the gyro. We were happy diners! It's a lovely space. Unfortunately we were the only people there and our server (very nice) gave us the impression they've not been busy in the three weeks she's worked there.

So, go, it's great!