Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Erika's German Restaurant Closed

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Erika's German Restaurant Closed

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Based on the note on the door Erika is retiring. A well earned rest after 10 good years.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Erika's German Restaurant Closed

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 pm

RonnieD wrote:Based on the note on the door Erika is retiring. A well earned rest after 10 good years.

It was a nice place, but I did often wonder how they were able to get business in that very strange location. Word of mouth and fierce loyalty from the people who knew of it, I guess.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:35 am

She broke the mold, in my opinion...

I went there a bunch. There were no servers- there was Erika. She would serve you with the most genuine of hospitality. Old school- she'd go and read the paper with her husband while you enjoyed yourself. Only popping up when it mattered. You basically dined with Germans and the owner of the establishment.

The old way.

Good on her- them bones get tired. Sooner or later, you have to hang the apron up. Just do it before it kills you.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:16 am

There are so many great places in this town that we only went a few times, but Erika's holds a special place in our hearts. When I told my wife the news she actually wailed! Erika's teaches a lesson that you can survive long term in a subpar location if your restaurant is attractive enough.