Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Loui-Loui's Detroit Style Pizza - JeffersonTOWN

by Steve P » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

The lovely bride and I made the 30 minute trek from the hinterlands to Jeffersontown last night to try the "Detroit Style" pizza at the just opened Loui-Loui's.

The short version is ya'll need to go getcha some...The long version (or at least as long as this cat is willing to go) is that it's a nice room...very un-sports-bar-ish (despite sporting a couple of TV's in the bar area and along the back wall), kinda reminds me of a budget version of Coals or that Mussels and Burger joint. The bar had a reasonable selection of crafty-type beers, something for all but the most smitten of the nose in the air beer crowd -and- they had a fairly nice selection of Bourbon at what I felt were -very- reasonable prices. If I were a betting man I would guess that our server was new to the business but that being said she made up for any lack of experience in friendliness and enthusiasm, so no complaints from this end about that.

I don't own a "Smart Phone" so I can't post a picture of the menu and it is not currently posted on their "under construction" website (a big mistake in my mind), suffice it to say the menu looks quite appealing and runs the Italian gambit...from appetizers to entrees, with their signature pizza being the star of the show. Speaking of the pizza, of which sampling was the sole purpose of this journey, I can honestly say I have never had this particular style of pizza in -this- town. The "pie" is kind of a cross between what some people call Chicago style with what I've always known as "Sicilian" square crust...in other words a square deep dish style pie with the sauce on top. So how good was it ? Well pretty damn good. The crust was positively rock star...a nice crisp-buttery bottom and very light and chewy else wear. It held up very well to the large number of toppings we ordered, all of which were very tasty.

Bottom line ? While it doesn't replace a couple of other places as my "favorite pie in L'ville" it -does- rank pretty high on my list and I will -definitely- be checking this place out again in the near future. Damn good pie...Getcha some.
Last edited by Steve P on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Loui-Loui's Detroit Style Pizza - Jeffersonville

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Steve P wrote:The lovely bride and I made the 30 minute trek from the hinterlands to Jeffersonville last night to try the "Detroit Style" pizza at the just opened Loui-Loui's.

Make that JeffersonTOWN. Close to me but a fur piece from J-ville.

Good review . .. will try soon.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Loui-Loui's Detroit Style Pizza - Jeffersonville

by Steve P » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Steve P wrote:The lovely bride and I made the 30 minute trek from the hinterlands to Jeffersonville last night to try the "Detroit Style" pizza at the just opened Loui-Loui's.

Make that JeffersonTOWN. Close to me but a fur piece from J-ville.

Good review . .. will try soon.

DOH !!!...What the heck...JeffersonTOWN...Jeffersonville...Ya'll just named these places to confuse us not-from-around-here-folks. :P

Yeah, definately getcha some of this pie...it's different but in a good way. The only thing I'd do different is ask for extra sauce. BTW, the rest of the menu...pastas and such, sounded very good and the couple of plates I saw come out of the kitchen looked awesome.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Loui-Loui's Detroit Style Pizza - JeffersonTOWN

by Rob Coffey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 pm

I went last Saturday during their soft opening.

I think it achieved the purpose of the soft opening, if the purpose is to slam the place and find the flaws.

The food was very good, I especially enjoyed the pepperoni stuffed garlic bread, good beers available. The service was not good, but I think our server was new and overwhelmed. Hopefully, that is the kind of thing that gets worked out.

The obvious comparison is with Rich O's. I prefer the pizza on Grantline, and of course the beer selection is better there, but J-town is a lot closer than some other state.

I will wait a few weeks for service issues to get worked out, but I will be back.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

We went last night. Service was excellent, however it was not crowded. We were seated next to a group of two families with very young and very well behaved children. I noticed that the server took especially good care of the youngsters.

Pizza was a little different. May not be to every ones taste but I liked it.

A good addition to J-town.
Last edited by Steve Shade on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:36 pm

We're planning to try it tonight, but I'll agree that the absence of an online menu is a weakness on their part.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Richard S. wrote:the absence of an online menu is a weakness on their part.

Wow, is that an understatement! I don't think we've been to a restaurant in probably ten years without perusing the online menu. If there's no menu online, a place is not ready to open.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Richard S. wrote:I'll agree that the absence of an online menu is a weakness on their part.

I emailed Loui Loui's about an online menu and just got a response back. They hope to post one on Facebook within the next day; it's likely to take a few days longer to get one on their website.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I noticed about an hour ago that they have the menu and their Facebook page now.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:24 am

We did make it there tonight. The dining room is more upscale than what I expected. The menu was something I'd expect in an old-style family-run pizza joint. The white pie had an equal distribution of chicken chunks and whole garlic cloves swimming in Alfredo sauce. I saw a few of the meatball appetizers come out of the kitchen and wished I had ordered one. My wife opted for the Alfredo pasta; pretty good but far outshone by the pizza.
They were already on a 20 minute wait at 6:30. Took a while to get our order but nothing I wouldn't have expected on a busy Friday night for a place that's only been open a few days. The server was attentive and assured us he was ragging the kitchen about getting our order out.