Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe Aroma

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Cafe Aroma

by Leah S » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 am

That's today's Groupon. I'd never heard of this place. Am I the only one? 2295 Lexington Rd.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cafe Aroma

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:25 am

From the address, it's the former Cycler's Cafe, between Jim Porter's and August Moon.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

That is exactly where it is and in true Louisville fashion it is in the old August Moon location. The menu is interesting... The signage on the windows implys that the food is going to be mexican there are signs for Tacos, Quesadillas, and Burritos and there are those items on the menu but there are also things like Pad Thai, Hamburgers, and Beef Stroganoff.
It's like they are trying to please to many people instead of just focusing on one type of food.
That said the Latin specialties my wife and I had there were AWESOME. I had the Tacos (2 asada 1 chorizo) they were great and my wife had one of the brunch specials Huevos Divorciadas (Divorced Eggs) One egg smothered in green salsa one in red and she thought it was really good as well.
The owners were really nice people and they said that they had been open since early December. I hope they do well.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am

Jeremy Coker wrote:... they said that they had been open since early December. I hope they do well.

Is the signage really low-profile? I go by there a LOT and haven't seen it. Must check it out!
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Really low profile signage. It is just on the front windows and if you know the building at all the windows are under and behind a sizable covered front deck. You really have to be trying to see the signs. Even when they are open they appear to be closed. I think the signage is their biggest problem. If this group doesn't even know about the place you can imagine how much trouble they are having getting customers.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Yeah, I thought for the longest time it had been taken over by squatters. The lack of proper signage is brutal. The big CC sign is still up and the proper signage looks to be made of construction paper and taped to the windows.

I am very curious, but also very anxious. Could be the best kept secret or it could be a trip to the hospital waiting to happen...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Ok, so I bit the bullet and dropped in for lunch today. Let me preface all of what is about to follow with this statement: These people seem really nice, genuine, and honest. I feel that they are trying very hard to make a go of it and I hope that they can.

But...

This place looks and feels like an accident. Like maybe some how through the randomness of the universe just enough restaurant-like materials spontaneously generated in this space to give it cause to be a restaurant. If you want an example of a restaurant on a shoestring budget, this is it. And not to say that can't have a lot of charm (heck that is basically how we started Gumbo A Go-Go back in the day), but this place doesn't feel put together as much as thrown together. I hope they are going to get some decor and create some kind of unity in there.
Side bar: the name is Cafe Aroma, but I detected none of any kind whilst waiting in the dining room...

The menu is all over the place. And I mean all over. Thai, Cuban, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and probably several other cuisines are represented here. The cover of the menu says something to the effect of "world cuisines with a Mexican flair," but the Chicken Tetrazzini description looks pretty standard Italian-American. As challenging as it is to do one style of cuisine exceptionally well, it is a bold statement to do five or six at the same level. Fortunately, the menu is moderately sized, so they aren't overextending themselves too far, maybe. Prices are reasonable, coming in at $7+ a plate.

Just grabbing lunch, I thought I would stick with something simple, so I ordered the Tamales (I've been looking for good tamales around town lately) and an order of Carne Asada Tacos. Total: $15 and change.
It took about 10 minutes to get the order together, not bad. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for my tacos. Of the three tacos, there was maybe enough edible meat for 1. This was due entirely to a large vein of grizzle running through the cut that was used for my order. Look, I'm no snob, I'll tough through a bit of grizzle when it comes up, I was raised on the cheapest cuts of meat there were, but these bits of steak were completely unchewable, much less edible. EXTREMELY disappointing because otherwise the tacos looked like they were going to be incredible. The kind owners were even nice enough to toss in a free special pork and pineapple taco for me to sample. It was much better, but still a little bland.
The tamales were better, but I must admit I am accustomed to tamales made in a big pot swimming in sauce and served with the husk still on. These looked to be more of the steamed variety with no husk. That said, the masa and filling were pretty good. I was a bit confused by the broccoli in the rice medley served alongside, but I rolled with it just fine and mixed my pico into it and went right on.
Both entrees were served with a flavorless hot sauce that added little to either dish.

Overall, I am completely underwhelmed. I was hoping to find the best kept secret in Louisville, but instead came away with two tacos I could not eat and two "good enough" tamales. Not sure I got what I paid for all in all.

I wish these guys all the luck in the world, I know how hard it is to get up and running and make your dream come true, but I feel like they need to make some strong changes and step up their game to compete in a restaurant city like Louisville.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 pm

RonnieD wrote:This place looks and feels like an accident. Like maybe some how through the randomness of the universe just enough restaurant-like materials spontaneously generated in this space to give it cause to be a restaurant.

I wish I had written these two sentences. It enticed me to read the whole replay which displayed sensitively along with a healthy dose of unvarnished truth. I hope somebody shows it to the restaurant and they take it seriously. Cheers RonnieD!
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Someone has opened up in the old Blimpie spot on lower Brownsboro (the kids call this LowBrow, now apparently) under the name Cafe Aroma. Does anyone know if these are the same folks?

They have a proper sign this time.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:09 pm

RonnieD wrote:Someone has opened up in the old Blimpie spot on lower Brownsboro (the kids call this LowBrow, now apparently) under the name Cafe Aroma. Does anyone know if these are the same folks?

They have a proper sign this time.

Could be ... they would have had to move out of the place where Cycler's Cafe used to be in order to make room for where Hammerheads II (Game) is about to be. :mrgreen:

PS: I love LowBrow! I'm going to start using it immediately. It is so much more authentic than NuLu ...