Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Makers' Mark lounge seeking a certain kind of bartender ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Makers Mark lounge posted this ad on craigslist...

"Maker's Mark on 4th St. Live is seeking an experienced female bartender. Must be very knowledgeable about liquor and drinks. We are looking for someone that is outgoing, fast paced, energetic, and takes pride in customer service.

Hiring Immediately. Please send ALL of the following to <deleted>........ 1. Current picture 2. Resume with references 3. Facebook link"

Specifying female? Requiring a picture? A Facebook link? Any expert opinions (or even inexpert opinions) out there regarding the legality of all this?
no avatar
User

Matt Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: Makers' Mark lounge seeking a certain kind of bartender

by Matt Davis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 pm

When I saw it on craigslist, I couldn't believe it. Guess I will have to become a hot chick to get a part time job around here.
Matt Davis
Owner/Operator
Lil Cheezers Gourmet Grilled Cheese
938 Baxter Ave
Louisville, Ky 40204
http://www.lilcheezers.com
no avatar
User

Matt Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Matt Davis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Matt Davis
Owner/Operator
938 Baxter Ave
Louisville, Ky 40204
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Matt Davis wrote:When I saw it on craigslist, I couldn't believe it. Guess I will have to become a hot chick to get a part time job around here.

Isn't being a hot chick a BFOQ for being a bartender?

The facebook link request seems stranger than the photo request. I'd bet they are using it to judge attractiveness, but maybe they just don't want to interview/hire someone with a skull tattooed on their forehead and a spear through their nose.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

JustinHammond wrote:[
The facebook link request seems stranger than the photo request. I'd bet they are using it to judge attractiveness, but maybe they just don't want to interview/hire someone with a skull tattooed on their forehead and a spear through their nose.

Or maybe they want to get a sense of what she reveals about herself in social media? Is she a Teabagger? An Occupier? Argumentative? Heavy drinker who posts about her daily hangovers? These could all be factors in judging a person who's essentially going to be on the front line for the company.

Frankly, I can see a lot of reasons why an employer would like to be a fly on a potential employee's Timeline. It does seem intrusive and a little creepy, but then, people have a choice whether to work for The Corporation; I made mine in 1990. :P
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm

I have heard of bars and coffee shops in LA asking for a "head shot" or whatever they are called to be included with your resume. I think it is silly/ridiculous but if that is what they want I guess go for it. It's not like I will be running down to 4th street anytime soon..
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Adam C wrote:I have heard of bars and coffee shops in LA asking for a "head shot" or whatever they are called to be included with your resume. I think it is silly/ridiculous but if that is what they want I guess go for it. It's not like I will be running down to 4th street anytime soon..

I don't know if law has changed in recent years, but at one point, EEOC laws forbade the requirement of a photo with an employment app, to prevent it being used as a workaround against rules forbidding employers to inquire about a potential employee's race.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Matt Davis wrote:When I saw it on craigslist, I couldn't believe it. Guess I will have to become a hot chick to get a part time job around here.

"Unemployed need not apply"...Much-much more common than you think...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/job ... 43362.html
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote: I don't know if law has changed in recent years, but at one point, EEOC laws forbade the requirement of a photo with an employment app, to prevent it being used as a workaround against rules forbidding employers to inquire about a potential employee's race.

The race and sex of a person should be pretty clear during the interview process; don't see how a picture on an app would make it much easier to discriminate.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

no avatar
User

Matt Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Matt Davis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

I can make an argument for it in many different ways. Maybe they typically only employ males and need a female to even it out a bit. Maybe they have an equal balance and a female left her job and they want to keep that balance.

Regardless of the reasons I think that everyone qualified for the position should get the opportunity to apply for that position. I am not all that upset that they choose to do this, I never thought of 4th street as more than a strip club that left their clothes on anyway.
Matt Davis
Owner/Operator
938 Baxter Ave
Louisville, Ky 40204
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Matt Davis wrote: I never thought of 4th street as more than a strip club that left their clothes on anyway.

I agree; the beer tub girls show more T&A than most strip clubs.

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 pm

JustinHammond wrote:The race and sex of a person should be pretty clear during the interview process; don't see how a picture on an app would make it much easier to discriminate.

Federal law prohibits discrimination based on: race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, age, disabilities or genetic information. So in addition to race/sex a picture could also identify age (group) and (in some cases) the presence of disabilities or defects.
Last edited by Steve P on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 pm

JustinHammond wrote:The race and sex of a person should be pretty clear during the interview process; don't see how a picture on an app would make it much easier to discriminate.

Your argument is with the court, not with me. ;) I assume the thinking was to prevent simple pre-screening by race or gender and at least give applicants a level playing field up to the interview door.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Steve P wrote:

Justin, you just earned a spot on my "not ready for prime-time management" list...

Federal law prohibits discrimination based on: race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, age, disabilities or genetic information. So in addition to race/sex a picture could also identify age (group) and (in some cases) the presence of disabilities or defects.

I thought my point was pretty clear, guess not.

I'm just saying that a picture can't identify race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, age, disabilities or genetic information any easier than the first in-person interview. If someone is using discriminatory hiring practices, he is going to do it with or with or without a picture.

Robin,

Hell, the name on the application could often be used to discriminate based on sex and maybe even race/origin, should it be left off the application?

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:27 pm

JustinHammond wrote:
I thought my point was pretty clear, guess not.

I think I understand your point now, I took your first post to mean that aside from sex/race nothing else could be gathered from requiring a picture...which of course is not true.
Next