Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Formal Dining .......

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Formal Dining .......

by Becky M » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 pm

My daughter will be turning 16 in December. I would like to plan an evening for her to share with her father.

I am thinking of something formal because she will be wearing a prom-type dress, but if there are suggestions where she will not feel out of place in that type of dress id like to hear them.

my thoughts are reservations for her and her dad, and they will not have to look at a menu, i would like to pre-order most of what they will be having that evening..... that way they can just sit back and relax.

some friends suggested something with a nice view... which sounds great, but i have no idea where. i want to try and make this a really memorable night for her.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Formal Dining .......

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 pm

I would seriously consider Corbett's Corbett's or Z's Steakhouse and Oyster Bar Z's.

They're both in suburban settings so traffic and parking will not be an issue and they both have wonderful menus and will work with you to pre make many suggestions like you want to do.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 pm

thanks for the suggestions. i like the menu at rivue.... but for some reason i am drawn to Corbetts... it has a quaint feel to it as i was looking at pictures. Also, this would be in December and it looked nicely decorated then.

some friends had suggested the English Grille and Vincenzo's but... i have no point of reference.

i guess i should have said what her tastes are....

i am wanting them to have calamari as an appetizer... very general i know... but it has some meaning to it. At her very first Father/Daughter dinner he ordered calamari for them and she always talks about how he introduced that to her.

She would also enjoy a Caprese salad. She doesnt know thats what it is called, but she can appreciate a nice tomato with good cheese lightly dressed, actually she prefers undressed....lol

She has said she would like to eat steak..... so thats an easy one.

one of her favorite side dishes is mac and cheese, so i thought it would be cool to have an upscale mac and cheese. but she is good with greens, asparagus... broccoli etc...

and also i would like to have a nice small cake for her....... nothing silly, just a nice small cake since it would be for her 16th birthday.
Last edited by Becky M on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Theater Square or Seviche are the two that come to the top of my mind.

Chefs Anthony Lamas and Dallas McGarity are both members here so you could send them PM's on here to make arrangements. I worked for Anthony for 3 1/2 yrs and that man has a heart of gold and a huge soft spot for familia. Very accommodating and not at all pretentious. I have NO doubt he would go out of his way to make your girl's night. I don't have the same history with Dallas, but I get the impression he is just great at making people feel special - he's certainly made me feel very special every time I've been in.

Or Majiid's. That would be another obvious choice (Majiid is also a forum member). All of these men are proud fathers, as well. You're such a good momma, Becky!
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:54 pm

ha! why didnt i think of seviche jackie! i have never been there, but it is one place i know i will eventually have to go to.

would she be ok there in a formal prom dress?
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Becky M wrote:ha! why didnt i think of seviche jackie! i have never been there, but it is one place i know i will eventually have to go to.

would she be ok there in a formal prom dress?

Honey, it's Bardstown Rd. She can wear whatever she wants! Seriously, that spot sees all walks of life - absolutely no reason to ever feel uncomfortable with the way your clothed, especially if your more on the dressed up side, versus dressed down. I think everyone that sees her will see how adorable she is. And with her daddy, no less! You should take a picture and share it with us after the big day.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

by Ryan Rogers » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Hands down I would select The Oakroom; one of the classiest restaurants in Louisville and the food Chef Bobby Benjamin puts out is fantastic. Set them up with a selection of courses from the chefs tasting menu and it will be a night to remember.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:26 am

Varanese
http://www.varanese.com/

Some of the best calamari in town, a few steak options, casual and upscale at the same time, live jazz, and a bargain compared to the other options.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 pm

If you want formal dining then I really think that Rivue (stunning view), The Oakroom, The English Grill, Vincenzo's, or Corbett's are great options. If steak is an interest then I would also consider Eddie Merlot, Jeff Ruby's, or even Ruth's Chris (it's a chain but one of the best views in the city), Limestone, or Z's. It seems to me if we are dressed up in formal wear - we would want to be in an atmosphere where that is in line with how most of the clientele is attired. While the food is important, a formal atmosphere can really add to mystique of this special occasion.

I will add that the best calamari I've had lately, the grilled squid at La Bodega and the fried at Asiatique.

My prom date in 1978 was at the Executive Inn surrounded by Kurt Siegert and the "Strings in Stereo". It was the first time I had good shrimp cocktail - now how corny is that?
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I worked for Anthony for 3 1/2 yrs and that man has a heart of gold and a huge soft spot for familia. Very accommodating and not at all pretentious.

Jackie, were you a hostess at Seviche?
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Mark Head wrote: My prom date in 1978 was at the Executive Inn surrounded by Kurt Siegert and the "Strings in Stereo". It was the first time I had good shrimp cocktail - now how corny is that?

Prom dining stories. That would be an entertaining thread.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Steve H wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:I worked for Anthony for 3 1/2 yrs and that man has a heart of gold and a huge soft spot for familia. Very accommodating and not at all pretentious.

Manager, so yes, "Hostess" of sorts :-). Do you think you remember me?
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Jackie R. wrote:
Steve H wrote:

Manager, so yes, "Hostess" of sorts :-). Do you think you remember me?

Possibly. Not to bust your vibe with Matthew or anything, but did you recently get married as well? :oops:

If so, I'm always with my sweetie or the group that always asks for the extra, various hot sauces to go with the mahi mahi tacos. :shock: And usually on Sundays. :lol:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Whew! Not a loser in the bunch. I don't envy you this decision, but I'd figure I'd confuse things more for you...

:D :lol: :twisted:

The Numbered Restaurants: 610 Magnolia, 732 Social and a personal fave- 211 Clover. World Class.

I'll reiterate Marketplace as well as Varanese for the same two reasons:

They both are coming into thier times, with exceptional al fresco dining. Fall in these places is simply magical.

They both have very guest-focused chefs that will go out of thier way to make sure that this prom is 'THE Prom.' Not that none of the others aren't- it's just that I can promise these two are of that ilk.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Ok, anything can beat what we did for Prom in 1980....me in a white tux, with black piping....OY.....

Benehana......back in the day, OH MY GOD.......

Might I suggest, if I may, Majid's? The dining room can have a very formal vibe, and I'm sure if you let them know when the reservation is made that is a Prom Dinner, Geoffrey and Majid will take you under wing, and make it a memorable, and fun, evening......

Do hope they have a wonderful time, where ever they go.....
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Next