Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Stoney River

no avatar
User

Troy McIntyre

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Stoney River

by Troy McIntyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 am

In light of recent discussions, I spoke to a manager during my previous dissapointing visit. After seeing the same issues on this visit, I did not, as it was apparent that speaking to the manager did nothing last time.

I really don't understand how this place stays so crowded serving mediocre food at that price point.

I will say the bread and steak fries were great. I wish more places served steak fries as opposed to the inceasingly popular "house chips".

Once again, my ribeye was very over-seasoned and over-cooked. For this price, I expect a damn good steak, but yet again Stoney River failed to deliver. This was no better than an Outback special that would cost less than half the price. I could easily take a $6 Kroger steak and produce better resuIts. The carmelzed onion mashed potatos were again served cold. I don't mean it wasn't served steaming hot like I prefer my food, it was not warm, it was cold. I really think this would be a great dish if they could figure out how to serve it hot.

I love alcohol. As a matter of fact, my bottle of Bushmill's Black is signifcantly emptier than it was 2 hours ago. I love drinking more than I should and I am overly tolerant of others who have had too many. The booth behind me was extremly intoxicated and annoyingly loud. If I was at a bar, it would be no problem. Again, I have zero problem with getting hammered and that type of language given the proper setting. When I am paying Stoney River's prices while dining with my grandparents, continuing to serve shots to obviousely hammered, loud, ever other sentence is F-this and F-that customers is not acceptable.
no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Stoney River

by Jason R » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear this. I've been 3 times in the past few years, and every experience has been wonderful. Definitely one of my favorite steak places in the 'ville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 am

I ran into a similar situation recently. Fortunately, for my dining pleasure, the people left quickly after I was seated. Hopefully, they took a cab.

There's no excuse for management not to be aware of the situation. Are they just not paying attention?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

by Chris LM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am

I had one of the worst slices of prime rib there a few months ago, tough, dry, too lean, very little flavor. My sauteed spinach was gritty, not washed properly.

I left wondering what the facination was with this place. I have had better meals & prime rib at Texas Roadhouse for half the price.
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 am

All that sounds awful. I totally get why you didn't even bother with management this time. You discovered that the things you don't like are characteristic of the way they consistently choose to run their business.

But the drunks behind you! Continuing to serve them is putting the restaurant at major risk - not to mention the public at large. Shame.

And this:

Troy McIntyre wrote:I love alcohol.

made me laugh.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Herrmann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 am

by Jeremy Herrmann » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

I've only been there a couple times and my last trip there was 5+ years ago, but both times I went, the filet that I ordered was way over-seasoned.
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I just don't feel that stoney rivers prices are in line with the quality of their food. i've eaten there twice and both times my general impression was, meh. the sad thing is, drunken idiots can be lurking in any establishment. i'm no delicate flower, i use profanity. a lot. but nothing pisses me off more than f-bombs delivered loudly in public.

last time i ate at l&n wine bar, at the first sighting of a loud, beligerant table next to us, i simply asked for another table. into the other room we went and had a wonderful, quiet meal.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 am

I dined at Stoney River last Saturday evening (Aug 6th) and had a very pleasant experience, both in terms of food and atmosphere - however, based on Troy's post, it sounds as though SR has some consistency issues, with regard to execution. As far as pricing, I don't find SR to be especially out of line - e.g., I've been to Ruth's Chris and (IMO) they're more expensive than SR, and basically provide the same quality menu items. Pat's has been a long-time favorite, as far as "traditional" steakhouses go, but I think their pricing has gone way out of line - still good, but not an attractive "price-value".

I've always had a good experience at Stoney River; but if one person's dining occasion was radically different from mine (within a 24 hour period) that sends a signal which their management needs to address.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

I'm not a big steak house lover but I've never had a bad experience at Stoney River. Nothing particularly exciting on the menu but I found them to be on par with similar options in the city.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:24 pm

They send out a lot of $25. off of $50 coupons. That could explain some of their popularity.

I always get Prime Rib when we go, and it's not bad. I've had better, but don't want to drive to Evansville to go to Hornet's Nest every weekend. :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 pm

I personally think Longhorn has better steaks for less money!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Mark R. wrote:I personally think Longhorn has better steaks for less money!

Maybe so. I've only been once, and (coincidentally :oops: ) ordered Prime Rib there as well. Unfortunately, it was not good. I haven't been back.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 am

Del Frisco's "Chateaubriand for two" is the best kept secret steak deal in town. Prime steak and vegetables for two.
no avatar
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am

My family and I have always had good luck with Stoney River. We frequent Longhorn's more often because it is cheaper and more casual as mentioned earlier. I'd put SR in my family's 2nd tier. 1st tier would be our usual just hungry and want to go out - Boombozz, Chili's, Longhorn, etc. 2nd tier, for a nicer place or some sort of occasion would be Stoney River, Mitchell's, Mojitos, Del Frisco, etc. Lastly, when we have a really special occasion the kids pretty much steer us right to Corbett's.

Along the lines of what Mark said, Stoney River has always done pretty well for me with what it is - a predictable steak place. We've never had problems with food temps or anything. With going there a handful of times a year, we've only had one time where it took a long time to have the server present themselves after we were seated. Other than that things were good every time.

Cheers,

Doug
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:10 pm

In general we've never had a problem with the steaks. They always had us cut into the steak when served, and when the temp isn't right they take it back and bring out a new one asap. Also, while I agree with the over-seasoning comments, since we know about it we ask for meat unseasoned, and have had no problems getting it.

We have had problems with management in the past (forgetting special orders discussed directly with them, etc.), and the room with large tables is always noisy.

In general if we want a great steak price being no object we hit Morton's, Ruby's, or Eddie Merlot, and when we want casual meat at affordable prices we hit Longhorn, TX Roadhouse, or Outback. Stoney River falls in a price point right between those two extremes, and we just rarely go.
Andrew Mellman