Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's AP Crafters review

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 pm

AP Crafters crafts fine fare at Westport Village
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

I have to confess that I was uncertain about Westport Village at first. Sure, the aging Camelot shopping center was due for replacement. But as Camelot’s modern replacement rose on the site, its offbeat architecture looked funny, somehow, prompting wisecracks about sets at a Universal Studios theme park.

Moreover, the choice of several national franchise operations among early tenants didn’t inspire my confidence.

But what a difference a few years make! Over the past three years or so, Westport Village has evolved into a new and desirable kind of suburban center, its hard edges softened by landscaping and its character shaped by the mostly local independent businesses that now dominate its roster: Wild Eggs, Boombozz, Napa River Grill, Westport Whiskey & Wine, Hiko-A-Mon, Jade Palace, Heine Bros., the Comfy Cow and many more.

With frequent parades, picnics, concerts and other events, Westport Village has become a virtual center of its community.

And now Tony Palombino, papa of the growing Boombozz pizza mini-chain, has upped things another notch with AP Crafters, a new eatery that fills the sizable vacant space left by the departure of Indigo Joe’s, a link in a 50-unit sports bar chain based in Southern California.

Palombino (I can barely overcome the impulse to identify him as “Boombozz”) is as well-known for creating, incubating and spinning off new restaurant ideas that might morph into chains. For instance, he created Thatsa Wrapp, Bazo’s, Benny B’s Sandwiches and more. And now he appears to be embarked on a similar quest with AP Crafters, which has a chain-like look – in a good way – based on the currently trendy “gastropub.”

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ap-cr ... rt-village

AP Crafters Kitchen & Bar
Westport Village
1321 Herr Lane
690-5000
Web: http://www.apcrafters.com
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/apcrafters
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's AP Crafters review

by JustinHammond » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 pm

The bacon brushetta is where it's at; followed by the smoked mac and cheese, pretzels and mushrooms. I wasn't blown away by the wings, El Vev Burger or Mighty Fine Chicken, but they were pretty good. The mac and cheese and bacon brushetta are worth the trip alone. The bar and general managers are also awesome guys. I had the pleasure of shooting the breeze with them last Fri. for a couple of late night hours.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:08 pm

We went last week for the first time. I thought everything was pretty good - the pretzels were the best thing I tried. I did the Monday burger deal with fries for $7.00 - not my favorite burger but the fries were good and heavily seasoned. We didn't try the brushetta or the mac n cheese unfortunately. The service was prompt and well paced.

I'm not a bar food guy but I can eat here.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I just wanted to chime in about AP. I really like it there - food and atmosphere. I've been several time and have had the AP burger, turkey sandwich, wedge w/crispy chicken, cheese curds, etc. and would get any of it again. I think next time I would ask for my bread on the turkey to not be grilled (seemed greasy), but the turkey itself was fabulous (and a huge sandwich). I didn't care for the slaw, but I'm finicky slaw eater.

Dining companions have had the burger w/pastrami, pastrami sandwich, grilled cheese, tuna blt, etc. Everyone has been please with their food and the grilled cheese looked great (my Dad did complain about the pastrami sandwich being too big - now he ate every bite of it - so now you have a sense of eating out with my Dad).

I know it sounds minor, but they have fantastic iced tea. Good beer, yes, but the ice tea is the best brewed in town.

On a related topic, Westport Village has so far done a nice job of offering a variety of restaurants that don't really compete for each other. Sushi- Hiko-A-Mon; Pizza - Boombozz, American Pub - AP, Upscale - Napa River Grille. Kudos to WV - it sure ain't like my high school Camelot.

My Sunday thoughts after lunch at AP.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

by David Lange » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for the iced tea comment. We at Consumers Choice Coffee are very proud that AP Crafters is serving our Camelia iced tea. In fact almost every restaurant in Louisville serves our iced tea.

Thanks for noticing.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:59 pm

I haven't been there yet but checked out the menu.
Not a lot of options for my vegetarian wife except the salads.
Hope they add some options or I may have to go alone.
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:32 am

David - I believe you when you say AP is serving your iced tea, but they are clearly brewing it in a way that makes it head and shoulders above anywhere else in town, and I eat out a lot. A lot. :D