Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurants Missed

no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Re: Restaurants Missed

by NDDuncan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:NDDuncan wrote:
remember the Cow Palace?
Oh, lord, I do!

their jingle was..."why don't you take ol' Alice to the (clap) cow Palace!" :lol:

Robin Garr wrote:But I think I'm still the only one who can remember Highland Italian, in the place where Lentini's was yet to be.

I remember being so excited and really enjoying the "new" Lentinis!!
I was a senior in h.s., I think... :shock:
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NDDuncan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Kyle L wrote:Chico's

I worked at the very first Chico's on Rockford Lane - the owners, Victor & Dorothy, were wonderful people. I still get a stuffy once in a while from El Ray - not as good, but it does in a pinch!
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Rob_DeLessio wrote:
Dan Thomas wrote:I have very fond early childhood memories of GASP.....King's Table, the old original IHOP and Cliff's Truck Stop(Great breakfast) all in Clarksville. I also had a great birthday party at Farrell's in Oxmoor. 8)

Ray Parella's, Kunz's The Dutchman on 4th St. and Hasenour's are all gone and where I took prom dates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My parents used to eat in the Atrium at Hasenour's all the time.....I was too young to try it, but they raved about it.

I worked for the interior contractor on the Atrium and spent time in the bowels of the beast. To this day the shared kitchen there is the second worst ever. Just nasty.

I was sorry that someone didn't turn the place into a brewpub when it closed. A gleaming copper Brewhouse would have looked awesome under the glass atrium.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:46 pm

I worked under Chef Ed Schweitzer at The Terrace....I miss those days.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 pm

NDDuncan wrote:I remember being so excited and really enjoying the "new" Lentinis!!

I think Lentini's opened around 1962, Nancy. Highland Italian was a short-lived predecessor. My parents loved it. They had Sicilian style pies in a shallow dish with exotic flavors no one in Louisville had experienced before. Orry-ganno and stuff like that.
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NDDuncan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think Lentini's opened around 1962, Nancy

oh wow - I'm not that old!!! I do remember the first time I ate at Lentini's - I guess it was considered the 'best italian" in the 'ville or something really good. I just remember my h.s. b.f. and I were just so excited about going - and we loved it.

Rob_DeLessio wrote:at The Terrace

I'd forgotten all about that place - the "Lace" building as we called it

I have to say, of all that have been mentioned, my # 1 pick of "missed" places is Trattoria Mattei- we always ordered tha "pranza" - 7 course meal. Talk about great food...mmmmm
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 pm

NDDuncan wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:That was one of the longest threads on the older version of this forum

too funny!

remember the Cow Palace?

My mom does: "take old Alice to the...COW PALACE!"
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NDDuncan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 pm

MarieP wrote:My mom does: "take old Alice to the...COW PALACE!"

Are saying I'm old enought to be your mom???!! :?

JK - I probably am!! :lol:
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

NDDuncan wrote:to add to a list that includes many restaurants I miss:
Bavarian Inn

Oh, man! Bavarian Dine Inn it was called, 5229 Dixie Hwy, 448-9108. My wife & I only managed to eat there once, it was the first time we'd eaten real German food in this town. It looked pitiful from the outside but inside very nice, like little family run places actually do look inside in Bavaria as we eventually found out years later firsthand. We were seated by an elderly German lady. I told her about our reservations and she said her name was Turner also. Diane got a rouladen and I ordered the Kaiser schnitzel. The latter was unbelievable. It was a well-done breaded pork tenderloin that covered half the plate and hung over the edge. On the top and bottom were thin pancakes that appeared to be made of scrambled eggs. The spatzel had brown gravy; the fried potatoes were tasty. This was a lot of very heavy food and we could eat only a fraction, the rest we took home. The tab was $21.15 plus a tip. December 10, 1994 and it was raining like crazy.
Last edited by Lonnie Turner on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 pm

NDDuncan wrote:
Kyle L wrote:Chico's

I worked at the very first Chico's on Rockford Lane - the owners, Victor & Dorothy, were wonderful people.

Bless your heart, did you work there circa 1980-81? I used to work nearby and my dad would come out and treat me to lunch there once in a while as it was one of his faves, along with Lotus & Hasenour's. I miss Chico's. And my dad.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

Robin Garr wrote:
NDDuncan wrote:I remember being so excited and really enjoying the "new" Lentinis!!

I think Lentini's opened around 1962, Nancy.

Robin, I've seen sources noting 1961 & 1962 so that's about it. I recall a story in the C-J long ago where a local promoter who worked on a very early Rolling Stones US tour when few people knew who they were. He took Mick out to dinner and asked what he liked and he said Italian. So he took Jagger to Lentini's. They played at Memorial Auditorium October 14, 1964.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am

NDDuncan wrote:
MarieP wrote:My mom does: "take old Alice to the...COW PALACE!"

Are saying I'm old enought to be your mom???!! :?

JK - I probably am!! :lol:

I'll be nice and not answer that, lol!

Though, true story, when I was in school at Walden, I envisioned Ed V. as a lot older than he probably is...

Just checked the profile, that must have been Ed V.'s dad.
no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

by Jason R » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

Does anybody (ANYBODY?) remember Parrsino's (sp?) at Highlander Point in Floyds Knobs in the 1980s and early 1990s? My tastes have refined since high school, but at the time, I remember there being no better pizza pie than theirs. As I recall, when the owner passed away, they shut the doors.

I'd kill to have their recipe to remember if it actually was that good...but I'd settle for someone besides me remembering that it ever existed. :P
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 am

The first pizza place in Louisville I can remember (pizza, not just Italian) was called Pizza Inn. I was in a chalet - like looking A-frame building that sat on Hikes Ln where the Long John Silverfish/Kroger gas station is now located. It would have been around 1963. I remember thinking how cool this "pizza pie" was!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 am

Carla G wrote:The first pizza place in Louisville I can remember (pizza, not just Italian) was called Pizza Inn. I was in a chalet - like looking A-frame building that sat on Hikes Ln where the Long John Silverfish/Kroger gas station is now located. It would have been around 1963. I remember thinking how cool this "pizza pie" was!

Not until 1963, wow!!! Well, Twain did say he wanted to be in Louisville when the world ended because everything here happens 20 years late!
PreviousNext