Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

NA Exchange

no avatar
User

Mark Albert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 pm

NA Exchange

by Mark Albert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Just back from the soft opening - content & satisfied
A quick rundown:
The space is open and inviting. The soft earth-tone color-scheme is very relaxing. The tabletops are fashioned from reclaimed wood (as is the bartop) lending a rustic feel that complements the food nicely. Table spacing is very generous and not at all cramped.

The bar features an adequate selection of spirits and a 6 tap draft beer system with very well chosen micro-brews.

Ian, the owner, was manning the bar and poured me a NABC porter to start things off.
Then the Dave Clancy show began. First I sampled the humus; smooth texture, a little smokey chipotle heat and well balanced with garlic. It's garnished with salsa fresca and served with sliced & toasted pretzel bread. Very nice.
Next the beer cheese; made with smoked cheddar, bourbon and beer. Again, great texture and served with warm pretzel bread, this time in whole loaf form.
The fried green tomatoes are thick sliced and panco breaded. Crispy and not at all greasy, served on a bed of spinach. The lemon dill sauce is a nice accoutrement.

The house salad was a little more dressed up than is the norm for our area with mixed greens tomato, onion, bell pepper and feta cheese. Again, very nice.

My new dining buddy, Richard from NABC, and I split two entrees.
First was a bison skirt, well marinated and grilled. Cut it with my butter knife, flavors spot on.
Next up was the roasted half chicken. Simply prepared, very well executed, tender and moist. Really hit the spot on a cold winter night. Both entrees are served with a generous helping of garlic mashers and well cooked veggie medley: zuccini, yellow squash, bell pepper and onion.

Overall food was very fresh and prepared will care. I think rustic-chic might be an appropriate descriptor for both the food and surroundings.

The service was friendly and attentive. The staff seem to be genuinely excited about the new venture. My only suggestion for improvement would be to the menu itself. Printed on dark paper it was a bit difficult to read in the low light of the restaurant.

Congrats and good luck to Ian and Dave
Thank you both for a wonderful meal
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Re: NA Exchange

by Todd Antz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 am

Congrats on the soft opening! I look forward to trying the new place out.

One quick question for Dave..... will you be doing your Huevos Rancheros that you've done in some of your past endeavours? That would be enough to get me in there regardless of the other great things you all are doing.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the most excellent words Mark! We are in the process of changing that wretched menu even as we speak. While it looks "old worldly", it just made me feel old as I couldn't read it from a foot away myself.! Todd, as for the Huevos, I have all the product on site and can do that (and just about anything else) "off menu". Thanks for the kind words and pop in when you can.-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

David Clancy wrote:Thanks for the most excellent words Mark! We are in the process of changing that wretched menu even as we speak. While it looks "old worldly", it just made me feel old as I couldn't read it from a foot away myself.! Todd, as for the Huevos, I have all the product on site and can do that (and just about anything else) "off menu". Thanks for the kind words and pop in when you can.-Dave

Dave,

You just made my day! I'll see you soon.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

by NDDuncan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Dave,

I may be mistaken, but haven't I also sampled some amazing desserts (by you) at another establishment? If so, what will you be serving at NA Exchange??

Dessert is sometimes all I want if we dine too late... :wink:
Nancy Duncan
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 am

NDDuncan wrote:Dave,

I may be mistaken, but haven't I also sampled some amazing desserts (by you) at another establishment? If so, what will you be serving at NA Exchange??

Dessert is sometimes all I want if we dine too late... :wink:
Hi Nancy! We are starting out "light" on the dessert end as I have no mixers but we will be starting a dessert program soon. Did I mention we are now open for lunch and dinner? Thanks all-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 pm

What days and hours are you open Davy? Got a phone number over there?
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Will Crawford wrote:What days and hours are you open Davy? Got a phone number over there?
Tuesday-Thursday 11-2 (lunch), 5-10 (dinner). Fri/Sat 5-10......Thanks for the pans Willie! Love ya!! 812-948-6501
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Bob and I ventured across the river today to try NA Exchange. We split the Tomato-Basil soup and I'd forgotten how much I missed Dave's excellent soups. Bob had the beer battered fish sandwich with dill caper tartar sauce which he loved; I had probably the best Ruben that I've ever had. The corn beef was very lean, tender and flavorful ( and I still have half for tomorrow!). Both were served with homemade chips and the wonderful Porter (?) cole slaw. The space is very warm and we had a great bartender (sorry that I can't remember his name) who told us a lot about the history of the area. On the menu are many of our favorites from the Bistro New Albany and many more new items that we can't wait to try. If you haven't been, GO!!! Dave has kept up the same level of excellence in food that he has always had. Bring on the roasted root vegetable soup!!!
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 am

I'm hearing nothing but good things, even if I've been too busy to get down there. Maybe this weekend.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I'm hearing nothing but good things, even if I've been too busy to get down there. Maybe this weekend.

I'm thinking lunch today.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 am

I h ave a 10:15 Dr. appointment, should be through by noon. If it is a go, pm me, David. -gayle
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 am

Gayle DeM wrote:I h ave a 10:15 Dr. appointment, should be through by noon. If it is a go, pm me, David. -gayle

I will.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Just wanted to say hello to everyone out there in the Louisville hotbytes community and formerly introduce myself. My name is Ian Hall and I am the owner/operator of the newly opened NA Exchange, located in New Albany, IN. I just opened my new concept last week and would like to invite everyone in to take a look and grab a bite to eat. I have brought on Executive Chef Dave Clancy, former owner of the New Albany Bistro, to operate the back of the house. We are a full service restaurant offering lunch, dinner, and late night options. So take a drive to New Albany and see what we are all about at The NA Exchange.
Ian Hall
President
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
no avatar
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm