Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Historic Louisville Restaurants

by Robert Carnighan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:56 pm

For an excellent restaurant town, Louisville has very few long term survivors. Excluding hotels and chains, I would divide the survivors into two groups. The first group includes places that survived in the original location with continuous operation. The second group places that moved but enjoyed more or less continuous operation. In the first group my winner would be Mike Linnig's (1925) and in the second group Cunningham's (1870.) I am old enough to have been in an older Mike Linnig's building just east of the present building but it was on the same property. I also did a little underage drinking upstairs at the original Cunningham's, Can you think of any older and why did so few survive?
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

Re: Historic Louisville Restaurants

by DanB » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I've heard that the dizzy whizz has been around the odd decade or so. My parents met there on a blind date. I'm guessing in '55 or '56. If that doesn't make it historic, I don't know what does.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Great topic, Bob. Cottage Inn is about as old as Kaelin's, but management has changed occasionally over the years. Early 1930s, I believe. Linnig's is padding its resume a bit. For ages they claimed a 1947 start date - that's when the restaurant opened. In the past few years they've taken it back to the '20s on the basis of the family's produce stand. I'm not sure that's legit, but even 1937 places them among the long-term survivors. With the recent loss of Mazzoni's one of the oldest fell, as they went back maybe a few years before Cunningham's. In your other category, do you think Selena's/Willow Lake Tavern counts? Willow Lake goes back quite a while, I believe. And of course the Oakroom and English Grill if you count earlier manifestations of the hotels - 1903 (?) for the Seelbach, and I think the early '20s for the Brown.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 am

Cleanup in Aisle Four now complete. :)
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 am

What about Kingfish? I remember going to the original sickly green location on upper River Road when it was a nothing more than a single level cinder-block building. That was in 1960 and by that time they had been there a while. (I checked their web site which says they've been around since 1948.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:23 am

Is Checks still around?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 am

Doe Run Inn (built in 1778 and has been a restaurant of some sort since 1901 when it was called the Sulfur Wells Hotel)

I can't find exactly when Science Hill turned from a school into a restaurant but it was sometime after 1939.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Least we forget KT's......granted, it was absent for a while, but it's back with gusto!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Least we forget KT's......granted, it was absent for a while, but it's back with gusto!

Is KT's that old, Bill? I remember reviewing it when it was new ... mid '80s?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill Veneman wrote:Least we forget KT's......granted, it was absent for a while, but it's back with gusto!

KT's (Kentucky Tavern) was popular during the 50s and 60s. Don't remember if they served any food than. It was mainly a bar. Been there many times in ancient history. The only real connection is that the present day restaurant was built in the same area and uses the name.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Carla G wrote:Is Checks still around?

Check's is definitely still around. Not sure when it opened, but I'd be surprised if it was older than the 1950s.
no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I had the good fortune to hear Bill Tinker speak to the Southern Foodways Alliance when they were here in 2008. Mr. Tinker was a beloved regular at Check's until he passed away this past Saturday. Amy Evans captured a wonderful bit of history when she interviewed him, and it is still available on the site. She also interviewed Billy Reynolds, one of Check's bartenders. It states that Check's opened in 1935. It's a great read.

http://www.southernfoodways.com/documen ... ecks.shtml
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Interesting, I didn't know Check's had been around that long. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

KT's (Kentucky Tavern) was popular during the 50s and 60s. Don't remember if they served any food than. It was mainly a bar. Been there many times in ancient history. The only real connection is that the present day restaurant was built in the same area and uses the name.

Oh yes, my father loved to tell tales of going to KT's during his "party" days, and delighted in the fact that he got to take us "back" when they reopened. Dad always knew the best places :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

by Fred Kunz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Captain's Quarters has been around as long as i can remember
Next