Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Third Ave. Cafe

no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Third Ave. Cafe

by Jason R » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:44 pm

How have I not been here before? It's been on my restaurant "bucket list" for at least a year, but my Mom and I finally had lunch there today. It was quite busy.

I'm not sure what they're known for, but we both landed on the fish sandwich. I gotta say, as a fried fish snob, it was very, very good. They use basa instead of the typical cod/scrod you get in this part of the country. The breading was a very fine crumb and held its crunch quite well, and the tartar (presumably homemade) had a little bite to it with what looked to be dill (don't think I've ever had this in tartar sauce -- I know I don't put it in mine).

I've heard good things about the mesquite chips, but I'll have to try those on a return trip. I'm a fish and chips guy, so I had their pub fries, which were good but not extraordinary. Mom had the slaw, which was refreshing in that had much less sugar/sweetness than what you normally find in mayonnaise-based coleslaw locally.

Too full for dessert, but the list looked good (even a vegan offering). Speaking of which, the place is very vegetarian/vegan friendly if that's your thing. Seemed to cater to professors, students, and local residents.

They had a nice-looking bar area -- probably pretty busy during UofL sporting events. Looked like a nice, neighborhood bar that one would feel comfortable hanging out with the locals.

Can't wait to get back.

--Jason
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: Third Ave. Cafe

by Antonia L » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 am

Jason R wrote:I'm not sure what they're known for...

Speaking of which, the place is very vegetarian/vegan friendly if that's your thing.

You got it - that's what they're known for. Vegetarian/vegan fare.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 am

Actually, they are known for their stuffed Elvis also
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 am

Antonia L wrote:You got it - that's what they're known for. Vegetarian/vegan fare.

Of course they are omnivore-oriented and have meatful dishes as well.

A separate question, not to pick on them, but am I alone in thinking that it's still good but dropped off a notch when management changed a few years ago? I used to love it. Now I just like it. But maybe I need to check in again some time.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Had lunch there today for the 1st time.

Went w/ the Jerk Pork Tenderloin, and LOVED it.

Buddy had the Chicken Salad & some Tomato/Basil soup.

....everything seemed great to me. Cool little place.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:26 pm

One of my fav lunch haunts when a bud of mine is coming into town for the day....alway a great burger, and the chips are the bomb!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm

The mesquite chips are Worth. Every. Calorie.
no avatar
User

Robin W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Old Louisville

by Robin W » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:19 am

As a long time Old Louisvillian (working here 11 years, living here 3 years), I would definitely agree, Robin. They seem to be in the midst of that gradual down-turn from "great" to "ok" which happens to a lot of places. I wish OL would get a few more places to up the ante. Luckily, Germantown and Butchertown are close and that seems to be a new hotbed :-)
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:39 am

Robin W wrote:As a long time Old Louisvillian (working here 11 years, living here 3 years), I would definitely agree, Robin. They seem to be in the midst of that gradual down-turn from "great" to "ok" which happens to a lot of places. I wish OL would get a few more places to up the ante. Luckily, Germantown and Butchertown are close and that seems to be a new hotbed :-)

I was a regular at Amici's, a few years ago, and the people there were the original 3rd Ave owners. I haven't been in to Amici's in awhile, but I think they were trying to open a bar in the old Zens's, on Main.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 am

I love Third Ave for the food! Never had a bad experience there! However, I have an inordinate fear of clowns and for some reason, that Elvis thing always freaks me out a bit. I like to sit where I can keep my eye on it, but not look it in the face! LOL!