Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Eiderdown Opening on Goss

by Jeremy J » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am

Wife and I (and baby) tried it on tuesday. Super impressed, they have a small, reasonably priced and well chosen wine list, and the food was great! We were both rather happy with the portion sizes and left with leftovers for next day lunch. We split the cornbread and trout salad to start. I had Homer's Daydream, and I have to say the pork was cooked for so long that I actually ate a bit of the bone before realizing what I was doing, it was so tender! Wife had the Saison Spätzle which was also spectacular. Gotta love a wine list with more than one option of Zweigelt too!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm

We dropped by for lunch today and really liked it. Beautiful job, they've completely done over the old Jockamo's and given it a much more coherent look and feel, with shiny wood floors, heavy tables that look like they're made from ancient wooden beams, exposed brick and in general the feel of how it might have been as a neighborhood German pub in the 1800s. Loved the menu, which is heavy on local and natural meats and produce. We passed on the duck-fat popcorn appetizer, although it was very tempting, and were very pleased with the Nachburger and country ham sandwich (with an egg on top!) Definitely a winner, and we'll definitely be back for dinner, when they add a few more dishes to the bill of fare.
no avatar
User

Michael Minton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Kingsley

by Michael Minton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am

Last edited by Michael Minton on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 am

Michael Minton wrote:The missus and I went in last night to celebrate her (probable) passing of another soul-sucking actuarial exam. We were very enthused about the meal as most of our friends that have patronized were keen on their experiences.

This isn't by chance the Mike Minton I know from college, is it?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Michael Minton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Kingsley

by Michael Minton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:14 am

:D You know how small Louisville is, Brad.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Michael Minton wrote::D You know how small Louisville is, Brad.

Good stuff. You had moved away, right? When did you come back?
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Michael Minton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Kingsley

by Michael Minton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I was in Cincy for about a year, and then we moved to San Diego. We returned to Louisville in early '09. I have a (more than likely) outdated number for you in my phone. Send me a PM; we should get together and reminisce about Boyle County. :lol:
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm

We tried out Eiderdown on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised. It's a great space inside, and joins the Blind Pig as tops in the city for great food, great space, but unpretentious and with relatively inexpensive pricing. I found the food and beer selection solid, and while the locals were not represented, there was a note on the list that locals will see representation at times through rotating taps.

We had the duck fat popcorn, Henry Althaus salad, and braised pork sandwich. All were excellent, and just about every item on the menu looked appealing to me. Service was very good - timely, courteous, and unobstrusive. We were a little rushed for time as we had guests coming to our house, and I noted on the way out that it was as if our server read our minds - we finished and walked out literally at the perfect time to get us home promptly.

The appetizer, salad, and sandwich, plus a beer and glass of wine and 20% tip came to around $42.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Brad Keeton wrote: joins the Blind Pig as tops in the city for great food, great space, but unpretentious and with relatively inexpensive pricing.

Good observation. I kept thinking while we were there that it somehow reminded me of the Blind Pig, and yet it's distinctly different, too. A worthy addition for sure.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:We tried out Eiderdown on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised. It's a great space inside, and joins the Blind Pig as tops in the city for great food, great space, but unpretentious and with relatively inexpensive pricing. I found the food and beer selection solid, and while the locals were not represented, there was a note on the list that locals will see representation at times through rotating taps.

We had the duck fat popcorn, Henry Althaus salad, and braised pork sandwich. All were excellent, and just about every item on the menu looked appealing to me. Service was very good - timely, courteous, and unobstrusive. We were a little rushed for time as we had guests coming to our house, and I noted on the way out that it was as if our server read our minds - we finished and walked out literally at the perfect time to get us home promptly.

The appetizer, salad, and sandwich, plus a beer and glass of wine and 20% tip came to around $42.

I believe their stated goal is no tap duplication with Nach Bar. Sounds good to me as Nach Bar is a good friend to all the local breweries.

A friend and former co-worker is the Sous Chef. I haven't made it there yet, but it is next on my list.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
A friend and former co-worker is the Sous Chef. I haven't made it there yet, but it is next on my list.

Christian! Got to see him on my way out. I was like, "I had the ravioli!", and he was like "I didn't make that!". Then we hugged it out and caught up on the past 7 years. I love that man.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 am

Jackie R. wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:

Christian! Got to see him on my way out. I was like, "I had the ravioli!", and he was like "I didn't make that!". Then we hugged it out and caught up on the past 7 years. I love that man.

I've seen Christian man-handle full kegs of beer, I would hesitate to hug it out.

Christian was the last brewer of record at the now defunct Oldenburg Grill. He made some good beers in his short time there, but was swimming upstream.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
Previous