Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Makers Mark Lounge rant

no avatar
User

SherryC

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Makers Mark Lounge rant

by SherryC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Last night, we took our son and his friend to Makers Mark Lounge to celebrate his 20th birthday. We wouldn't normally go to Fourth Street Live for dinner but we thought he might think it was kind of groovy and decided to give it a try. I've been there for a few business lunches and found it to be just so so.

The place was practically empty on a Friday night at 8 pm. Fourth Street Live was jammed with people. Some live band was playing on the stage. All the other restaurants seemed to be full of people -- at least all the outdoor tables were fully occupied. Not MML.

Once seated, the server handed us their Kentucky Derby 2010 menu. You know the ones, that menu that comes out Derby week with all the prices jacked up for the out of towners. I asked if they'd handed us the wrong menu by mistake, but no, she said they hadn't changed the menu since then. I'd checked the menu on their website before we went down there just to make sure a pescetarian could get fed, but that's not the same menu as presented.

So, Derby Menu. The steak is $51, a fried chicken dish (yes, fried chicken) was $26 and the only non-meat option was Fettucini for $20.

Our son and his friend ordered the steaks. They arrived very rare, not medium rare, but they tried to eat them and didn't enjoy them. My husband decided to try the fried chicken. He got one tiny thigh, some dessicated kale and a dollop of mashed potatoes for $26. The server claimed this was the "second or third best fried chicken in the US." Hmmm... not last night's offering.

I was left with the only choice for me on the menu - fettucini. I try to avoid pasta at all costs, but when there's no other choice, that's my fallback. This was served with a bland, watery marinara sauce on top of plain, old spinach fettucini. Nothing else.

We were prepared for a big night out and expected to spend quite a bit of money, but when the quality/cost ratio is so completely out of whack, I can't help but feel ripped off. So much so that I feel I have to post here to hopefully save others from wasting their time and money. Even if they hadn't presented their inflated Derby menu, their regular entree costs are in the mid-30s, still way too much money for the poor quality.

Part of me is kicking myself because I should have known it would be crap. I actually did know that, but I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. I will never, ever go back there again.

Thanks for letting me rant.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Makers Mark Lounge rant

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Sherry, I'm really sorry you had such a downer of an evening for the boys' happy occasion. Thanks for posting a factual and fair review, though.

I can't help pointing out that, although the MM Lounge has licensed the name of a Kentucky icon, it's in fact run by a chain out of Baltimore. Sounds like they're living up to the corporate standard of focusing on the bottom line.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Absolutely ridiculous $51 for a steak. You know it only cost them around $2 - $3.. I wouldn't have paid it. The Pub is much better value, and the food is pretty good. There has to be a reason why MML was empty, and the high prices are probably it. I really resent being ripped off.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds like they're living up to the corporate standard of focusing on the bottom line.

Is that not the reason 4th St Live exists ??

We all have P&L's to budget and meet, but overpriced drinks and food don't do it for me :shock:

No desire to go there, am glad B.B.C. is there for when I go to shows at the Louisville Palace
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Alan H wrote:Is that not the reason 4th St Live exists ??

We all have P&L's to budget and meet, but overpriced drinks and food don't do it for me :shock:

I think that's the point, Alan. Eateries and watering holes have a right to make a profit, so they can stay in business and continue to serve us. But by and large, in my experience, the national and international chains are so entirely focused on the bottom line that service and product quality go out the window, secondary to short-term profit. Indies - at least well-run ones - understand that quality and service build loyalty and thus an ongoing living income.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm

there is a difference to making a profit, and obscenely ripping someone off. A 300% mark up is average, even a 500% mark up, A $51 steak is just obscene. You could probably buy half a cow for that.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Alison Hanover wrote:there is a difference to making a profit, and obscenely ripping someone off. A 300% mark up is average, even a 500% mark up, A $51 steak is just obscene. You could probably buy half a cow for that.

That's pretty much what I said, Alison. ;)
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Yes you did Robin :D
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Alison Hanover wrote: A $51 steak is just obscene.

It is obscene, but no more so then ordering it. It wouldn't be on the menu unless people were paying for it. I hate 4th street as much as the next person, but it will never go away if people support it, especially supporting it by paying $50 for a steak.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm

LOL, I am unemployed and would not even consider looking down there. It is a tourist trap, plain and simple!! If we had slots and gambling, MAYBE, It could actually make that area. I would work there then.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:41 am

Alan H wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Sounds like they're living up to the corporate standard of focusing on the bottom line.

Is that not the reason 4th St Live exists ??

No desire to go there, am glad B.B.C. is there for when I go to shows at the Louisville Palace

Speaking of other restaurants...
My new employer from Wisconsin, her 8 month old son and I went out to dinner Friday night. We had two excellent appetizers, ( banana peppers and a blackened tuna) , a great burger, a fish sandwich, glass of wine and arum hurricane. All very tasty and for less than the cost of one steak at MML. AND we had wonderful views of the river. Thank you Captains Quarters!

P.S. Our service was wonderful. Our waitress went well beyond the usual call of duty. Even a very good 8 month old can add a strain on servicing a table but she handled it with ease and grace.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:23 am

MML seems like an expense account place for visitors. As long as the company doesn't quibble about a $50 steak as opposed to a $30 steak, places like that will continue to operate. Look at it as a financial boon for the city but a place to avoid personally.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 am

The food was actually pretty good and fairly priced when I worked at Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge (they made us say the entire name because of licensing issues or something) when they opened. Unfortunately, the food, at the time, was all the place had going for it (in my opinion) which is why I only stayed for seven months.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 pm

JustinHammond wrote:

It is obscene, but no more so then ordering it. It wouldn't be on the menu unless people were paying for it. I hate 4th street as much as the next person, but it will never go away if people support it, especially supporting it by paying $50 for a steak.

She said the place was empty!
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Alison Hanover wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:

She said the place was empty!

She said practically empty, that could mean many things and it was 8 at 4th Street; that place doesn't really get started until 10 or 11. Empty or not on this occasion, people are still going there or it wouldn't be open and the $50 steak wouldn't be there unless it was selling.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next