Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dish on Market

no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Dish on Market

by Stacy Roof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm

I tried The Dish Thursday and had a terrific Bibb Salad. I visited with Anderson during a very busy late lunch and watched the staff keep up with the demand.
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

by Dan L. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 am

Dave Nelson wrote:We serve breakfast throughout lunch service. :D

Dave,

My wife and I were stoked about your breakfast menu so we popped in for lunch last friday. There was a 15 minute wait for a table so we opted to sit at the bar. When it came time to order we were told that we could not order breakfast because the kitchen was too busy. We decided to wait and give you another shot when you were less busy.
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 pm

by Michelle F » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh that is a huge turn-off, thanks for posting. Maybe I will wait awhile to try it.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:22 pm

[It doesn't matter if you wait. If the kitchen is too busy to do breakfast at lunch then it is too busy to do breakfast at lunch. I know exactly where they are coming from; and anyone who actually works in a kitchen will know too.

quote="Michelle F"]Oh that is a huge turn-off, thanks for posting. Maybe I will wait awhile to try it.[/quote]
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Eleven until one, give or take another half hour, or so, is the busiest lunch time in that area. I will try to go before eleven, when all the business people in that area are still working. I want buscuits and chocolate gravy!!
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

by David Lange » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Regarding the coffee at Dish on Market, Consumers Choice Coffee and Sunergos Coffee have formed an alliance that enables Consumers Choice to be the delivery and service vehicle for Sunergos Coffee. So if a restaurant is looking to use a Sunergos product in their restaurant, then contact us and we would be glad to present the program.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Michelle F » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 am

Alison Hanover wrote:[It doesn't matter if you wait. If the kitchen is too busy to do breakfast at lunch then it is too busy to do breakfast at lunch. I know exactly where they are coming from; and anyone who actually works in a kitchen will know too.

quote="Michelle F"]Oh that is a huge turn-off, thanks for posting. Maybe I will wait awhile to try it.
[/quote]

In your eyes. But as a paying customer...if you are simply too busy to make something I order off the menu, why would I want to give you my business? Your average customer does not work in a kitchen, nice try though.

Reminds me of how some staff treat a person eating alone...annoyed they are taking a table, not real concerned with them. But then when I tip 50% and return, they remember me. It isn't about what is going on in the back of the house, it's abotu pleasing a customer. Without them, you are out of a job. That is all.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 am

Michelle F wrote:
Alison Hanover wrote:It doesn't matter if you wait. If the kitchen is too busy to do breakfast at lunch then it is too busy to do breakfast at lunch. I know exactly where they are coming from; and anyone who actually works in a kitchen will know too.

Michelle F wrote:Oh that is a huge turn-off, thanks for posting. Maybe I will wait awhile to try it.

In your eyes. But as a paying customer...if you are simply too busy to make something I order off the menu, why would I want to give you my business? Your average customer does not work in a kitchen, nice try though.

Reminds me of how some staff treat a person eating alone...annoyed they are taking a table, not real concerned with them. But then when I tip 50% and return, they remember me. It isn't about what is going on in the back of the house, it's abotu pleasing a customer. Without them, you are out of a job. That is all.

I talked with Andersson two weeks prior to their opening and, quite frankly, was amazed that he and Dave were able to pull it all together and do it so well (and fast). If you saw the size of their kitchen, you would be a little more understanding and, perhaps, forgiving as well as it is easily the tiniest kitchen I have ever seen. For them to execute at this level in such a short time (remember, they have only been open 2 weeks) is simply phenomenal. So you couldn't get breakfast for lunch? Give them a little more time to iron out the bugs and I am sure you can but why would you right them off right out of the chute? Honestly, anyone who has opened restaurants (I've done a few myself) knows that it is no walk in the park and Andersson and Dave should be applauded for doing it right and having the balls to even do it at all in this economy. Perhaps next time you are there, you could ask for a tour after your lunch. A little understanding goes a long way. My .02.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Anderson Grissom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 am

Downtown

by Anderson Grissom » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Thank you for all the different perspectives. We do serve breakfast all day and will continue to. We have had to sacrifice on two days due to the impact of breakfast on the overall efficiency of the kitchen. I believe we are past those hurdles at this point and will be able to carry out what we intended in the beginning. We are now working on fine tuning but for all intensive purposes we should no longer have any issues with timeliness of service.

Separately I agree Michelle's perspective. Recently opening is not a valid excuse to most of the public and I don't feel it should be. If we offer something on the menu, it should be, and will be available all the time.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

by Madi D » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Anthony and I stopped in yesterday afternoon around 4. They were serving the "Happy Hour" menu and we sampled the Goat Cheese Fritters, Mussel with Chorizo and the Pomme Frites.

Everything was fantastic! The frites were fried perfectly (something both of us are really picky about) and served with 3 dipping sauces which included a creamy horseradish which was awesome.

My favorite was the goat cheese fritters. Its a really generous portion of perfect panko breaded goat cheese. The inside was soft and creamy and the crackers that came with it were a great accompaniment. One kind was wafer thin and crisp, the other was more of a graham cracker type cookie which was SO surprisingly good with the goat cheese. Top all of that off with a sweet green tomato chutney and it is the perfect bite. The mussels were also good- adding chorizo to anything just about ensures its gonna be delicious.

Anderson graciously gave us a quick tour. I had never been in that bulding before but it has alot of character and is much bigger than I expected. Great art, beautiful new hardwood floors, high ceilings, exposed brick walls. I was really impressed!

3 items off of the happy hour menu and two beers a piece came in around $35 before tip, which i feel is totally reasonable. We can easily spend twice (or three times!) that at some of our other usual haunts.
I really wish Anderson and Chef Dave the best; it looks like they have all the ingredients to be very successful.
Thanks again guys, and we wil be back soon!
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

by Dan L. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Anderson Grissom wrote:We do serve breakfast all day and will continue to. We have had to sacrifice on two days due to the impact of breakfast on the overall efficiency of the kitchen.

Anderson, it looks like we were unfortunate to catch you on one of these bad days. I am glad to hear that you have worked out the kinks and look forward to trying again soon. Now I just have to decide on what I want to try...so many options.
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Michelle F » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Good to hear! Kudos to you. I wish you much success! Planning on a visit Monday :).

Madi, sounds GREAT - all those app's sound yummy. I love horseradish, so will definitely try those pom frites, and the goat cheese.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 pm

[quote]Separately I agree Michelle's perspective. Recently opening is not a valid excuse to most of the public and I don't feel it should be. If we offer something on the menu, it should be, and will be available all the time.[quote]

What a great response. However it should be noted that these are the voices of a few. Concentrate on your business and don't look to a single source for direction. The pressure imagined is fractional to the actual clientele you receive every day.
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Michelle F » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:
Separately I agree Michelle's perspective. Recently opening is not a valid excuse to most of the public and I don't feel it should be. If we offer something on the menu, it should be, and will be available all the time.

What a great response. However it should be noted that these are the voices of a few. Concentrate on your business and don't look to a single source for direction. The pressure imagined is fractional to the actual clientele you receive every day.

Few? I really disagree. A lot of the clientele will have never read this, have no clue they just opened, etc...downtown gets a lot of business from out of towners. When you choose something off the menu and are told "we are too busy to make this", the majority will be put off and take their business elsewhere. If I am told a restaurant is out of something, big deal - I understand that...but too busy, different story.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:46 am

[/quote][Few? I really disagree. A lot of the clientele will have never read this, have no clue they just opened, etc...downtown gets a lot of business from out of towners. [quote]
Yes, and so hopefully they listen to your comments but take it all with a grain of salt. What with it not being your business and all.
PreviousNext