Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Becca MacGilvray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 pm

St. Matthews

St. Matthews Hotel Accomodations

by Becca MacGilvray » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi Everyone!
I was hoping that I could get some input on the two available hotel accomodations in St. Matthews---Inn at Woodhaven and Hawthorn Suites. Has anyone stayed at either of these places or know anyone who has? What are they like? My father in law is coming in town for Easter weekend and would like to stay somewhere close to our home and avoid the whole Hurstbourne Lane hotel row completely if possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Becca
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Inn at Woodhaven

by MarieP » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm

IIRC, the Inn at Woodhaven was recommended on the old forum. It is a B&B. Here is the website.

Here is the website for Hawthorn Inn. They have free hot breakfast buffets (it says free on the main hotel home page).
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: St. Matthews Hotel Accomodations

by TP Lowe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Becca MacGilvray wrote:Hi Everyone!
I was hoping that I could get some input on the two available hotel accomodations in St. Matthews---Inn at Woodhaven and Hawthorn Suites. Has anyone stayed at either of these places or know anyone who has? What are they like? My father in law is coming in town for Easter weekend and would like to stay somewhere close to our home and avoid the whole Hurstbourne Lane hotel row completely if possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Becca

The Hawthorne is OK - nothing fancy. For the extra ten minute drive, though, I'd take him downtown to the new Marriott or the Marriott Courtyard, both of which are fine and not too expensive.
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Becca

Kentucky Opera has housed all of our artists at the Hawthorn Suites for the past three years. I have heard that a few folks whom we've housed there have stayed there for personal visits at other times. They do indeed have a free breakfast buffet. The staff there is incredibly kind and hospitable. Location is great...right next to the mall, whole foods, and guests have free access to the Baptist Wellness center right next door.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:44 pm

I second Hawthorne suites... used them on several occasions for life cycle events, and business events.

Why would you go downtown, when you want to be in St. Matthews?
I wouldn't pass it up.

Call Caren Carney, and tell her Heather sent you!
User

Ashley D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Louisville

by Ashley D » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:45 pm

The Inn at Woodhaven is beautiful inside. I love that place! Also very convenient...
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Heather Y wrote:I second Hawthorne suites... used them on several occasions for life cycle events, and business events.

I wouldn't pass it up.

Call Caren Carney, and tell her Heather sent you!

Actually, she's now Caren Bailen! :D
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Well, I'm prejudiced, but I'd always recommend a B&B! :)
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Heather Y wrote:
I wouldn't pass it up.

I think it is infinitely more interesting than the neighborhood full of malls...

BTW, what is a life-cycle event? Just curious.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Lyndon Options

by Doug W » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:48 pm

There is an Embassy Suites off Hurstbourne (North of Shelbyville Road) and another similar type place in Forest Springs. These are in Lyndon, but just down Old LaGrange road from St. Matthews.

Regards,

Doug W.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Life Cycle

by Pam G » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:41 pm

BTW, what is a life-cycle event?

Wouldn't that be birth, death and everything in between?
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Life death and everything in between..... yes,
i.e. christenings, baby naming, baptismals, bar mitzvahs, communions, graduations, showers, weddings, funerals, oh, and let's not forget holidays like Thanksgiving,Christmas, Rosh Hashanah, Easter, Passover.

I am not from here, and I have a lot of out of town guests for these types of events.

If I was coming to town to visit family, and it made it easier to stay in the neighborhood where my family lives..... then I would do so. The person is coming to see family..... not sightsee. The family is infinitely more interesting than anything else, or so one would hope.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 am

Heather Y wrote:Life death and everything in between..... yes,
i.e. christenings, baby naming, baptismals, bar mitzvahs, communions, graduations, showers, weddings, funerals, oh, and let's not forget holidays like Thanksgiving,Christmas, Rosh Hashanah, Easter, Passover.

OK, I thought you were approaching "event" as a caterer or some such business, but I think I see what you meant. I guess when my family visits I just call it that.

And, not to continue an irrelevant discussion too much further, but if you have to get in the car and drive to a hotel, why not drive to an interesting part of town, rather than cut through a mall to get to your room? I have been going to Milestone for a long time and just find that part of town so depressing due to all the traffic and boring "architecture."
User

Becca MacGilvray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 pm

St. Matthews

Thanks everyone!

by Becca MacGilvray » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks for all of the replies--it sounds like the hawthorn suites is the winner! My father in law typically stays on Hurstbourne Lane when he is in town for business--usually at the Marriott Courtyard but we wanted him a little bit closer to our house for this visit!