Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dish on Market

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

Dish on Market

by Ellen White » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:22 pm

The Dish on Market is open. I think it just opened today. I didn't eat there, but I did go in and grab a menu. They are open Monday-Friday 7am-7pm.

Breakfast:
Market breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon or sausage, crispy hash, biscuit service (don't know what that means) $4.75
Steak and Eggs: braised short rib, crisp potato, one egg, horseradish cream $5.25
Biscuits and Gravy Two Ways: classic sausage gravy, chocolate gravy $4
Smoked Salmon Hash: served with 2 eggs $5.25
Breakfast enchiladas: corn tortilla, chorizo sausage, black beans, egg, queso blanco, chili sauce $5
Pancake of the day: market price
Low country shrimp and grits: stone ground grits, smoked bacon, scallions, shrimp, velvet gravy $6.75
The Dish Omelet: 2.75 + .50 each for veggie ingredients + .75 each for cheese +1.00 for meats
A La Carte:
bacon $1, crispy hash .75, white cheddar grits .75, sausage $1, honey and cream fruit salad .75, house biscuit with butter and jam .75

Soup and Salad:
cup of soup $2, bowl of soup $3
Carmelized garlic, bacon, and country potato soup
Soup Du Jour
Kentucky Bibb Salad: cayenne pecans, oven dried tomatoes, bleu, balsamic vinaigrette $5
Pears and Gorgonzola: baby lettuces, fresh pears, toasted almonds, garlic dressing $4.75
Classic Caesar $4.25 (add $2.25 for grilled, blackened, or fried chicken)
House Salad: mixed greens, grape tomatoes, avocado, egg $5
Tarragon Chicken or Tuna Salad Plate: on mixed greens with fresh fruit, cheese slices, and house pickles $6.25

Sandwiches (add any side for $1)
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese: havarti, bleu, granny smith apples, Texas toast $6 (+$1 add bacon and tomato)
Shrimp Po Boy: ciabatta, tempura rock shrimp, creole remoulade, lettuce, tomato $7.25
Spicy Black Bean Burger: chilies, cilantro, queso blanco, avocado lime spread $6.25
Dish Burger $6.50 (add cheese .50, add bacon $1)
Roasted Tarragon Chicken Salad: pecans, lemon dressing, sourdough $6 (+1 for a melt)
Tuna Salad: Albacore tuna, red onions, grapes, sourdough (+1 for a melt)
Grilled Chicken Club: grilled chicken breast, smoked bacon, swiss $7
Sustainable Fish Sandwich: crisp long line caught Cod, creamy napa cabbage slaw, house pickle $7.50

Dishes:
Chicken Finger Dish: chicken fingers with house cut fries, fresh slaw, served with honey mustard or bbq sauce $6.75
Fish and Chips: crispy long line caught Cod, house cut fries, fresh slaw $8.25

Sides ($2):
Fresh Napa Slaw, Honey Fruit Salad, Cup of Soup, Small House Salad, House Cut Fries, Veg of Day, Red Potato Salad, Small Caesar

Soft drinks and tea $2; coffee, milk, oj, cran juice, grapefruit juice $2.50

Happy Hour ($7)
Pomme Frites, Sorghum Goat Cheese Fritter, Steamed Mussels, Scallop and Shrimp Seviche, Pub Cheese, Smoked Salmon Springroll
Plus alcoholic beverages

Overall, doesn't seem like a very original menu. It's not really what I had hoped for.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Dish on Market

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Ellen White wrote:The Dish on Market is open. I think it just opened today. I didn't eat there, but I did go in and grab a menu. They are open Monday-Friday 7am-7pm.

Where on Market? :)
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ellen White wrote:The Dish on Market is open. I think it just opened today. I didn't eat there, but I did go in and grab a menu. They are open Monday-Friday 7am-7pm.

Where on Market? :)

It is Anderson Grissom's new place in the old Delta location. I noticed the open sign today.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Ellen White wrote: Overall, doesn't seem like a very original menu. It's not really what I had hoped for.

I haven't eaten there, but from looking briefly at the menu, I think I have to disagree. For a breakfast/lunch joint (plus happy hour), the menu looks fairly original to me. There seem to be some nice twists on traditional dishes.

For example, biscuits with gravy two ways (original and chocolate), steak and eggs with braised short rib, and the Po Boy. Most of the dishes look very good to me. If the ingredients are fresh for things like the salads, etc., the menu easily places it in the top 3 or 4 options for downtown, non-sushi lunch (along with Z's Fusion, Proof, and Theatre Square). The breakfast option is nice, and provides something strongly lacking downtown, and I feel confident it will become a regular in our happy-hour rotation.

Just curious, Ellen, what exactly were you hoping for?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Have to agree with Brad, looks good to me. Smoked Salmon Hash, Shrimp and Grits, Breakfast enchilada (and many others) to add to what Brad highlighted. Looks like some great choices....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:It is Anderson Grissom's new place in the old Delta location. I noticed the open sign today.

/WHAPping forehead

I knew that! Thanks for the memory jog, Brad.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Yes, this is where the Delta used to be.
I had heard this was going to be more of an "international" menu, along the lines of Ramsi's (which I don't like, but I do admit they have a wide variety).
This seems just like what I could get anywhere around town.
Yes, some of the breakfast items look different, but not really anything I personally would eat (biscuits, beef, sausage).
The salads and sandwiches look like what you could get at any restaurant in town: chicken salad, tuna salad, grilled chicken club, burger, fried fish.
Overall, I was hoping for more variety and more vegetarian items (not just salads).
Like I said, I haven't tried it yet, but at this point, just looking at the menu, I would certainly not put it in the same category as Proof or Z Fusion. More like Deke's (can't ever remember its new name), at best.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Actually, the Happy Hour items did look more like I was thinking of in terms of what they would serve for lunch.
no avatar
User

Mary Beth D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Prospect

by Mary Beth D » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:24 pm

For those of us who have only lived here for a few years - what is the "old Delta" location?

I have finally figured out the "old Sears store."

Thanks!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Good one, Mary Beth. I have lived here twenty years and have no idea where the old Delta location is.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:47 pm

It's at 5th and Market.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Ellen White wrote:It's at 5th and Market.

In fairness, "The Old Delta" is not as wacky a location as "The Old Sears." The Delta just closed this year, and it had been around for a couple of generations. Maybe people who didn't work downtown didn't know if it, though.
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Dave Nelson is the executive chef, I know that because I'm related to him :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Nancy Nelson wrote:Dave Nelson is the executive chef, I know that because I'm related to him :D

Dave who was the chef at Nios? I liked his stuff ...
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Yes, that Dave Nelson.
Next