Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: This round goes to AB-InBev, as Mr. Mug Shot is no more.

by Matthew D » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

all fair points. very fair.

I'm not comfortable with that use of "effective." Although your statement has to do with writing, the point you are making is more about readers. And that's where we can agree. If people are inclined to get pissed off, then it's really not hard for a writer to do so. A really effective writer, though, would do the amazing - moving the reader who is already planning to be pissed off to some other position. That's the real power, and trick, of writing.

and honestly, it has nothing to do with universal truth. It has do to with how we approach, recognize, and respond to "the multiple." Knowing that people don't see eye-to-eye is no excuse to piss someone off or to get pissed of. Instead of being pissed off or pissing off (both which take little effort), people should find ways to accomplish something else, something better.

I'm sensing this is a matter of semantics as the words are shifting. Disagreement is inevitable. Getting pissed off and/or pissing off is a purposeful, and shallow, move.

When LEO is at its best, it invites the reader to do serious analysis/thinking as a result of strong writing. When LEO is at its worst, it resorts to childish writing that accomplishes little more that pissing people off - and, I think, based on the writing, that this is a purposeful move (by LEO).

Carla G wrote:I stand by what I wrote earlier.

Carla G wrote: You're not a very effective writer if you're not pissing off somebody, somewhere .

To think otherwise is to believe that there is only one universal truth applicable to all. Somewhere, someone, is going to disagree with you. BTW I don't think the point of writing is to irritate, merely that it is an inevitable by-product. Looking at some of the difficult subject matter that LEO has courageously tackled in the past, to say they let Roger go because some of the readers were upset is, in my opinion, naive. It is obviously driven by an attempt to get in big brewer advertising. The really sad thing is I seriously doubt much additional revenue will actually materialize. If AB (or anyone else for that matter) was honestly convinced that LEO was a viable vehicle for advertising their product they would have jumped on it regardless of the opinion of a single columnist. All that has sadly happened is that LEO has allowed itself to be stifled by big business. It's a sad folks.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 am

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've been trying to catch up on the forums and I had to throw in my two cents here. This is the letter I sent to LEO's Inbox. Perhaps we'll see it in Wednesday's issue.

For the past 7 years, I've lauded LEO as a bastion of uncompromising journalism and discerning taste to countless new students at U of L. I'd tell them to consult your paper if they ever had any questions about local events, politics, or dining and I'd warn them to steer clear of the pitiful simulacrum that is Velocity. I would even take tour groups past your stands so they could pick up a copy and see all that Louisville has to offer as a city.

However, your recent decision to terminate Roger Baylor's Mug Shots column in order to placate macrobreweries has wounded me deeply. For all of the grief you (often rightly) give Mayor Abramson for his dealings with Cordish, you certainly seem eager to hop InBed with InBev and sell out your columnists for thirty pieces of silver.

In the recent 20th anniversary issue of LEO, BIlly Reed commented, "Since day one, there have been no sacred cows at LEO." Apparently that doesn't apply to big business advertisers, to whom you are more than willing to kowtow. Roger, an icon of the Louisville craft beer revolution, has always been dedicated to telling the public the truth in an undistilled and undiluted form. If honesty on the rocks is a bit hard for you all to swallow, then I suggest you crack open a Bud Light with Lime, cease pretending to be truth purists, and openly embrace the company that has clearly bought your opinion.

Paul Mick
The HIghlands
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

What exactly is a che wallet, and what is wrong with having one. Totally confused.
Alison Hanover
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Well said, Paul.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Alison Hanover wrote:What exactly is a che wallet, and what is wrong with having one. Totally confused.

A gentleman wrote a letter to the editor in LEO in regards to Roger a few months ago. He stated he was looking forward to crossing the river to try New Albanian beers, but when he found out Roger had a Che Guevara wallet, he made the decision to not visit New Albanian. And without ever visiting, he complained about the high prices of New Albanian beer.
Last edited by Todd Antz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks Todd.
Alison Hanover
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Ditto the thanks, Todd. He would not have liked the Bank Strett brewery view, anyway.

Also, thanks to Paul. To be sure, there's always an element of he said, she said in a divorce ... to me, the upshot is my being precluded from writing about certain topics by a newspaper which always has boasted that anything goes. Another myth summarily tossed. I lanced a festering boil, and they unloaded a malcontent. So it goes, and it will make the LIBA fest on Friday even more enjoyable.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Paul it looks as if your letter to the Editor didn't make it in this week. Well, maybe it got in after the layout was done. So maybe next week.
I did, however, see a full page Blue Moon ad, an 1/8 page Falls City beer ad (hey, they're back!), and a 1/4 page Bats ad (sponsored by Anheuser-Busch)
But I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous