Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

A personal observation/rant

by jpdurbin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm

A personal observation/rant. When did our culture turn from quality of performance, be it acting or musical performance, to needing props/gimmicks to make a show/movie? I’m sitting here watching Peter Gabriel at a concert in Italy in 1993. He had a few props but the show was all about the diversity of incredible talent surrounding him. I see so many movies that relied on flash but had no character development. I’ve seen a few concerts with the same disappointment.
Are they ever going to stop aiming for a 14 year old audience and start creating quality again?

“In Your Eyes” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoEQREKFQG4

“Woman with great voice: Paula Cole (US). Keyboard player: Jean-Claude Naimro (French West Indies). While were at it Drums: Manu Katché (France, of Côte d'Ivoire descent), Guitar: David Rhodes (UK), Bass (wearing knee pads, not shorts): Tony Levin (US), Violin (and incredibly huge vocal range): Shankar (India), Vocals: Papa Wemba (Congo). There were 21 musicians on this tour so my apologies for omitting some. For those asking "Where does he get these great musicians?" Answer: everywhere! “

Paula Cole rocked the house…
Last edited by jpdurbin on Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: A personal observation/rant

by Carla G » Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

jpdurbin wrote:A personal observation/rant. When did our culture turn from quality of performance, be it acting or musical performance, to needing props/gimmicks to make a show/movie?

I think it was long about the time female vocalists started coming on stage dressed provocatively and singers simulating violence and sex acts on stage. (Geez I sound like my grandmother but still...)
Remember the Barbara Streisand performance where she was on stage with no lights except one on her face as she sang? When you've got the vocal chops and you're using great music with great lyrics you can do that. I guess everything else is just necessary window dressing.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 am

jpdurbin wrote: I see so many movies that relied on flash but had no character development

Totally agree. That's why , 20 years from now, Avatar will be a mere footnote (if that) and people will still be listing movies like "To Kill a Mocking Bird", "12 Angry Men", or "Rocky" as some of the most memorable movies of all time. No special effects, just solid, well executed storytelling.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am

jpdurbin wrote:A personal observation/rant. When did our culture turn from quality of performance, be it acting or musical performance, to needing props/gimmicks to make a show/movie?

Musically I think it occurred in the 70's with the likes of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Alice Cooper, etc.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri May 21, 2010 8:43 am

But, in the 70s one could go to a "Yes" or "Pink Floyd" concert, get accosted by strobes and lasers, and still hear a great show. I guess the same exists today, but I'm so out of the pop/rock music scene I don't know what bands fill that niche now.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri May 21, 2010 11:25 am

TP Lowe wrote: but I'm so out of the pop/rock music scene I don't know what bands fill that niche now.

Me too....and I like it that way.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 pm

I guess the same exists today, but I'm so out of the pop/rock music scene I don't know what bands fill that niche now.

coldplay
the killers
vampire weekend (personal favorite)
nickelback
muse
kings of leon
Last edited by JustinHammond on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 pm

I'll second Cold Play.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

I've seen a LOT of bands, but the one band that sticks out most as an outstanding experience, both musically and special effects wise would be NIN, followed closely by the Killers. Also, knock them all you want, but Def Leppard are amazing live. Great guys, too! Of course, Trent Reznor/NIN were also amazingly funny and gracious, too...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Michelle R. wrote:I've seen a LOT of bands

Michelle's statement started what I have left of my little gears turning...and with the help of some purplely-hazy memories, the internet, a box full of used ticket stubs, several conversations with old high school buddies and nothing better to do I compiled a partial list of bands I saw in just the summer of 1974.

The Beach Boys
Joe Walsh/Barnstorm
Lynyrd Skynyrd
R.E.O Speedwagon
Eric Clapton
The Band
Todd Rundgren
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Santana
Jessie Colin Young
The Allman Brothers
Pure Prairie League
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Charlie Daniels Band
Marshal Tucker Band
Edgar Winter
Peter Frampton
Dr. John
Mott the Hoople
Rainbow
The New York Dolls
Johnny Winter
The Kinks
Aerosmith
Emerson/Lake/Palmer
Climax Blues Band
James Gang
David Bowie
Leon Russell

THAT is a LOT of brain cells down the drain :P :wink: :P
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:24 am

Steve P wrote:Michelle's statement started what I have left of my little gears turning...and with the help of some purplely-hazy memories, the internet, a box full of used ticket stubs, several conversations with old high school buddies and nothing better to do I compiled a partial list of bands I saw in just the summer of 1974.

Holy ...wow! In one year?! Where were you living at the time that so many bands came into town (or did you do a lot of road trips)? I've seen about 2/3 of those you've listed but it was over a couple of years. Ill add a surprisingly great concert by Steely Dan to the list as well as a wonderful concert by Phobe Snow at the old Memorial Auditorium.
Awwww man! I was skinny then!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:26 am

Carla G wrote:
Steve P wrote:Michelle's statement started what I have left of my little gears turning...and with the help of some purplely-hazy memories, the internet, a box full of used ticket stubs, several conversations with old high school buddies and nothing better to do I compiled a partial list of bands I saw in just the summer of 1974.

Holy ...wow! In one year?! Where were you living at the time that so many bands came into town (or did you do a lot of road trips)? I've seen about 2/3 of those you've listed but it was over a couple of years. Ill add a surprisingly great concert by Steely Dan to the list as well as a wonderful concert by Phobe Snow at the old Memorial Auditorium.
Awwww man! I was skinny then!

Not one year...one summer. This was back in the mid to late 70's heyday of Cleveland Rock and Roll, which at the time was to R&R what Detroit was to R&B in the 60's. Anyone who WAS anyone...or WANTED to be someone came through Cleveland. It was a fun time to grow up and a fun place to do it (if you were a R&R fan). 1979 was even more interesting as I was working for Ticketron (now Ticketmaster) and writing music reviews for a my university newspaper (good thing I had an editor, ehh ?)...I can't begin to recall all the shows THAT year but it was probably 60 or 70.

Funny thing...and I'm sure it comes with age and becoming a curmudgeon...I have a very difficult time getting into the "new" music today. Most of it just T-totally evades me. As a result I've turned to listening to the (electric) Blues...Tab Benoit, Tommy Castro, Coco Montoya, Walter Trout, Jimmy Hall, etc, etc.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Same here, Steve. Right now I'm listening to a Mexico-based big band (very traditional modern big band music), and I've been listening to a lot Cuban and Puerto Rican salsa in recent years. More classical now, too (but I sure wish WUOL would get off the "greatest hits" lists and take some risk with their programming).
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 am

TP Lowe wrote:Same here, Steve. Right now I'm listening to a Mexico-based big band (very traditional modern big band music), and I've been listening to a lot Cuban and Puerto Rican salsa in recent years. More classical now, too (but I sure wish WUOL would get off the "greatest hits" lists and take some risk with their programming).

For something completely different, you should check out Gipsy Kings (youtube taste). Their genre is sometimes called Flamenco Rumba, though oddly enough they come from France.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Steve A wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:Same here, Steve. Right now I'm listening to a Mexico-based big band (very traditional modern big band music), and I've been listening to a lot Cuban and Puerto Rican salsa in recent years. More classical now, too (but I sure wish WUOL would get off the "greatest hits" lists and take some risk with their programming).

For something completely different, you should check out Gipsy Kings (youtube taste). Their genre is sometimes called Flamenco Rumba, though oddly enough they come from France.

I'll second the Kings; they have a fantastic greatest hits album. You can find it used on half.com for around $7.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next