Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

La Rosita taqueria on Westport Road

by Steve A » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 pm

While scouting out the byways of our new 'ville a few days ago, Barbara and I noticed a sign on Westport between Hurstbourne and Herr Lane that gave us pleasant pause: Among other things, the sign reads "La Rosita" and "taqueria."

Today, while making our seemingly constant pilgrimage to the home improvement stores (this time for a faucet), we decided to give La Rosita a try.This place really knocked our socks off. First of all, taqueria describes only a part of what they are. When you walk in you see a full service counter stocked with all manners of fresh meats packaged to order. To the right is their produce section, and behind that is a fine selection of Mexican groceries. But that's not what we were there for.

We walked to the rear of the store, where we found a small counter, kitchen and dining area. There's enough seating to accommodate up to 15 diners if they don't mind getting a bit cozy. First, you select your preferred pop from a case full of bottled Mexican imports, sweetened with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, then you place your order. You have a choice Mexican food served three ways - tacos, tortas and burritos, with ingredients ranging from steak or chicken to tongue and chile rellenos(!). If memory serves me there were at least 8 main ingredients to choose from. You can eat in or carry out.

Pricing is really simple, with tacos selling for $1.75 each, and tortas and burritos $4.50 each. After seeing chicharróns on the menu board, we both got really excited. After all, what's not to like about pork fat? Alas, they were not available today. So Barbara ordered one each barbecue beef, chicken and pork taco, and I had a steak burrito. Talk about large food! Two of the tacos would have been more than enough for a meal. Loaded onto soft corn tortillas, they were piled high with cheese, cilantro, tomatoes and lettuce. My burrito was absolutely loaded with small cubes of tender flank steak, cheese, lettuce and onions. Trust me when I say me and my "large frame" walked away more than satisfied.

Understand that we've spent the last number of years in Maine, where On the Border passes for spicy, so we were craving something a bit more, shall we say, authentic. And that's what we got. The meats were well-seasoned and tender, the ingredients were all fresh. And with the addition of the choice of a mild chipolte or hotter green chile sauce from the on-table squeeze bottles our taste buds were dancing!

There is one thing that I found a bit curious, and that was the lack of beans, refried or otherwise. Our Mexican food experiences are somewhat limited, but it seems to me that beans were always part of the meal. This is not meant as a complaint, just an observation.

The ambiance at La Rosita is nothing fancy. After all you're eating in the back of a grocery store, but with the Mexican pop music blaring on the radio you know you've got the real deal. Combined with great food, that makes the meal more fun.

La Rosita is located at 8730 Westport Road.

By the way, the Westport ramps on 264 are now open. Yay!
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: La Rosita taqueria on Westport Road

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds awesome. It seems you have moved to my neck of the woods. I live on Washburn, right off the new interchange. Anyway, My Patria is also an excellent taco shop, meat market, and grocery store.

http://www.mypatriastore.com/

If you need any help/advise for this area of town, don't hesitate to ask me.

Welcome.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Doug Chin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm

J-Town

by Doug Chin » Sat May 01, 2010 8:54 am

My Patria now serving beer. Great place to shop and eat.
Doug
Doug Chin
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Stopped into La Rosita on Westport Road Saturday for take-out. Wow - the food was fabulous. We ordered 6 carne asada tacos, a carne asada burrito, and a chorizo burrito and we just hit $20. The quantity is almost absurd....so much for so little. Assorted beverages - Mexican coke is my favorite soft drink....

They have a nice seating area with plenty of space and everyone was quite friendy.

This will be a regular for our taco fix.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Mark Head wrote:Mexican coke is my favorite soft drink....

If you're not absolutely wedded to cola, next time try one of the Mexican Jarritos brand carbonated fruit drinks. I'm a particular fan of the Tamarindo, which is kind of a pale cola color and a really food-friendly sweet-tart flavor.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon May 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Pineapple Jarritos goes well with pastor.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 pm

My 15 y/o loves Pascual Boing - mango. This is a non-carbonated soft drink produced by a worker owned cooperative out of Mexico. It has fruit pulp in it. I think it looks kind of nasty but he swears by it. It is available at most Mexican grocery stores.
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Is it the same La Rosita that's in New Albany? If so, it's awesome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 am

Jennifer M wrote:Is it the same La Rosita that's in New Albany? If so, it's awesome.

I'm quite sure it's not ... just a coincidence of names. ("Little Rose.")
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 am

Just to add to the confusion....when we go the La Rosita Carnacita on Gillmore and Preston, the receipt has printed on it " La Rosita New Albany".
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm

I didn't know there were multiple locations. I keep going to New Albany. Westport is must closer. If it's the same place I'll be very happy. It's my favorite Mexican food around.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm

So I looked a the calendar this morning and it's the fifth of May, in other words Cinco de Mayo! What a wonderful reason to have Mexican food for lunch.

In the interest of science (okay, we were hungry), we decided to try My Patria at 808 Lyndon Lane. It is pretty much impossible to draw a fair comparison between this store and La Rosita. Yes, they both sell groceries, produce and have taquerias in the back of the stores, but the food experience is just different enough to make things interesting.

At My Patria I ordered a Cecina burrito ($6), which I thought was the closest I could get to a steak burrito there. What arrived at our table was a burrito, sauced with their red sauce and sour cream(?), accompanied by a tasty rice side dish and iceberg lettuce and tomato topped with a spoon of sour cream. The strips of meat in the burrito was well-seasoned and delicious.

Barbara had the chicken enchiladas, which had chunks of tender chicken and were covered with red and green sauce. She declared her choice delicioso, as well.

Washed down with a couple of bottles of Jarisco soda, we waddled away sated for 16 bucks or so.

So, is there a clear winner in the La Rosita vs. My Patria Mexican food comparison?

Yes, the winner is... US! You can't go wrong with either of these places.

And if there are other spots like this you've found around Louisville, let us know. In the interest of science, of course. :wink:
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Steve A wrote:
And if there are other spots like this you've found around Louisville, let us know. In the interest of science, of course. :wink:

http://tacostoreados.com/

9109 Galene Dr
Jeffersontown, Kentucky 40299
(502) 468-3524

Add this place to your list. Great food and an in-house bakery.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:07 pm

i was in the area, and I grabbed a quintet of tacos to go from La Rosita on Westport. The portions were very generous, and those 5 tacos made for 2 meals and a small drunken late-night snack. The only problem was that I felt like I was cheating on Mi Patria the entire time.

The style of authentic taco was very similar to Mi Patria. I may have enjoyed the pastor slightly more at La Rosita, but the carnitas and cesina seem better at Mi Patria. The lengua may have been a wash. The red sauce at Rosita may have been better than that of Mi Patria, but I definitely think that the green sauce at Patria reigns supreme. I don't think I will be switching my taco alliance, as I narrowly prefer Mi Patria, and it is closer to my home, which appeals to my laziness.

Nevertheless, it still a good place, and i would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area in the mood for authentic tacos at a ridiculously good price.

To atone for my guilt, i'm about to go get some tacos from mi patria for lunch here shortly.
Last edited by Dan E on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Dan E wrote:i was in the area, and I grabbed a quintet of tacos to go from La Rosita on Westport. The portions were very generous, and those 5 tacos made for 2 meals and a small drunken late-night snack. The only problem was that I felt like I was cheating on Mi Patria the entire time.

The style of authentic taco was very similar to Mi Patria. I may have enjoyed the pastor slightly more at La Rosita, but the carnitas and cesina seem better at Mi Patria. The lengua may have been a watch. The red sauce at Rosita may have been better than that of Mi Patria, but I definitely think that the green sauce at Patria reigns supreme. I don't think I will be switching my taco alliance, as I narrowly prefer Mi Patria, and it is closer to my home, which appeals to my laziness.

Nevertheless, it still a good place, and i would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area in the mood for authentic tacos at a ridiculously good price.

To atone for my guilt, i'm about to go get some tacos from mi patria for lunch here shortly.

This is our home taco place and the tongue is the best of the bunch.
Next