Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Cleveland

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Cleveland

by Robin F. » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Okay foodies, I have been to Cleveland several times and haven't had any luck finding a good local place on my own. We're going up again in a few months (Springsteen exhibit at R&R Museum - Bruuuuuce!) and I'd love some suggestions on breakfast, lunch and dinner. We're good with dives or high-end. We'll be staying downtown, but will have a car if needed. Thanks!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Cleveland

by Steve P » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Robin F. wrote:Okay foodies, I have been to Cleveland several times and haven't had any luck finding a good local place on my own. We're going up again in a few months (Springsteen exhibit at R&R Museum - Bruuuuuce!) and I'd love some suggestions on breakfast, lunch and dinner. We're good with dives or high-end. We'll be staying downtown, but will have a car if needed. Thanks!

Hmmmm...

Whitey's Booze and Burgers - Richfield. An easy 25 minute drive from downtown. Sorry Louisville but the burgers at Whitey's blow away anything I've had here (so far !!!).

The Winking Lizard - Downtown, etc. A cool little local mini-chain (6 locations)...a notch above your average sports bar. MOF I just ate there tonight (Spinach salad and some wings). Consistently good bar fare. DON'T get the pizza.

If you make it to Akron (35 min south): Luigi's Pizza. Open until 5am. Serves alcohol until 2:30am. Some of the best pizza anywhere. It's under the Y" bridge...google it for directions.

Fat Fish Blue. Downtown. Don't even know if it's still around but if it is it's a good casual dining hotspot

Don's Pomaroy House. Strongsville. 1 mile off I-71 - 10 minutes from downtown. Was always my "go to" place when I lived in the area. Upscale but casual to business casual.

BTW...Becky and I have been Bruce's #1 fans going back to the Allen Theatre days ('74) when Cleveland (WMMS) "broke" Springsteen nationally. That being said we were both VERY disappointed in the new CD...Made me want to gouge my eyes out with my car keys.

Check back in a day or two...I'll ask the "homies" what's hot up there at the moment.

Enjoy the Rock Hall...It's an awesome place.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 am

Don't miss one of Michael Symon's places, Lola Bistro or Lolita.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 am

Steve - off the topic of food, but on Bruce - this is the first album I have no desire to own. It already sounds stale and I've only heard a few songs. IMHO - Danny's death made him afraid of his own mortality so he cranked out some leftovers and hit the road. My first true disappointment in him, and maybe my first missed concert tour in 25 years. :(
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 am

Robin F. wrote:Steve - off the topic of food, but on Bruce - this is the first album I have no desire to own. It already sounds stale and I've only heard a few songs. IMHO - Danny's death made him afraid of his own mortality so he cranked out some leftovers and hit the road. My first true disappointment in him, and maybe my first missed concert tour in 25 years. :(

Robin,

Yeah, we're kind of bumming too. Actually we were talking "Bruce" at dinner last night and came to the conclusion that there are two sets of Springsteen fans. Those who crave things like BtR, Magic, etc. and those who find more appeal in things like his latest release. Let's face it, after 30-some years of music there will always be SOMEONE who is going to give one of his releases "five stars" on Amazon.com We were going to try and make the show in MSP/StP or CLE but now I'm not so sure. Might have to wait and see the reviews/set lists before pulling the trigger on this one.

In the spirit of double bumming both of us...me more than Becky...are more than a bit disappointed in the new U2 release as well. Despite being a huge fan I was seriously contemplating cutting BOTH my wrists after sampling the new release online.

<sigh> Do you remember the days when you had this mindless devotion to music and you were still young enough and open minded enough to be able to embrace (most of) the paths these artists took ? Now it seems I have turned into my father <insert "Rolling Eyes" smiley>
User

Jean P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm

by Jean P » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm

I so second Lola! Great dining experience.
User

Jessica Murr

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Highlands

by Jessica Murr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:01 pm

I know this is way late, but I thought I would chime in if anyone is heading to Cleveland anytime soon! We used to live there and one of our FAVORITE places was Tommy's. It was awesome!! The Milkshakes are to die for and their menu is extensive. (their site isn't loading, but they are on urbanspoon).
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/16/204521/restaurant/Cleveland/Tommys-Cleveland-Heights

We also absolutely loved Aladdin's Eatery! They had numerous locations across Cleveland. It is one place that we ate regularly and still miss.

We had a wonderful and romantic anniversary dinner at Blakes Seafood http://www.hydeparkrestaurants.com/blakes/index.htm overlooking Chagrin Falls.

Lastly, I still remember the cheese board app at Moxie! http://www.moxietherestaurant.com/ Outstanding cheese and equally as good wine.

Jess
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Cleveland Trip Report

by JustinHammond » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 am

Cleveland Trip Report

African Wildlife Safari – Port Clinton
Not really African, but fun anyway. Feed elk, deer, lamas, zebras from your car.

Mon Ami Winery – Port Clinton
Beautiful winery and tasty grape juice.

Crabby Joe’s – Port Clinton
Decent perch sandwich on the water

Melt Bar and Grilled – Lakewood
Cool place, good beer list, ok grilled cheese

Lolita
As expected, fantastic
Recs. Bone Marrow, Pork Belly, and pizza

Greenhouse Tavern
Fantastic, must visit
Recs. Fifth Quarter (daily pork dish) and chicken wing confit

Velvet Tango Room
$16 cocktails in a funeral home atmosphere, highly overrated.

Great Lakes Brewery (basement)
Cool place, great beer

Westside Market
Awesome market, avoid during lunch time
Recs. Beef jerky from Czuchraj

Winking Lizard
Cool place, good wings, and the cheapest drinks in town

Lucky’s Café
Great breakfast
Recs. Biscuits and soup special

Christmas Story House
Cool stop for any fans of the movie.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Major disappointment for two huge music fans. $50 for two people and we were out of the place in 45 minutes. The special exhibit of Johnny Cash’s tour bus was the highlight.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:07 pm

There is a small chain in Ohio called Aladdin's Eatery that is great! http://www.aladdinseatery.com/ They have several locales in Cleveland, I tried the one in Cincinnati near IKEA.

Some of the best falaffel I've ever had and I'm very picky about that stuff. Theirs is very high on flavor, nice crunchy exterior and soft, but not mushy inside. Liked pretty much everything else I tried there, but if I'm in the area I get some falaffel and baba to take home, they were outstanding! I seldom do Mediterranean, I've ran into a few places were everything tastes similar and the texture is like paste, but I didn't have that issue at Aladdin's.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Spent the weekend rediscovering my old stomping grounds...LOT'S of cool stuff to do in Cleveland, including a vibrant craft beer/micro brewery scene.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Steve
You ever get out to Conneaut to the White Turkey Drive-In? One of the best root beer floats in the county. My wife grew up there.